aberdeen-music

PLease remind me...

Hog

In the old days a single was on 7" single with one song on each side A + B, hence 'B sides'. An album was on 12" vinyl and usually had around 12 or so songs. This was called a Long Player, or LP. Sometimes bands released something in-between, an E.P. or Extended Player, with 3,4 or 5 songs. Usually on 7" vinyl, but sometimes on 10". This was all carried on with CDs, so an E.P. would have more songs than a single, but not as many as an album.

So um, yes. Number of songs.

Originally posted by Frosty Jack:

In the old days a single was on 7" single with one song on each side A + B, hence 'B sides'. An album was on 12" vinyl and usually had around 12 or so songs. This was called a Long Player, or LP. Sometimes bands released something in-between, an E.P. or Extended Player, with 3,4 or 5 songs. Usually on 7" vinyl, but sometimes on 10". This was all carried on with CDs, so an E.P. would have more songs than a single, but not as many as an album.

As long as the songs aren't of epic proportions, otherwise there's a lot of prog-rock singles out there.

Quite, but I thought I'd leave 'Topographic Oceans' and the like out of it, for fear of confusing the issue. Thanks.

*confused*

I've confused myself, the more I think about it, the blurrier the edges get between single,ep,lp and mini-album. It was so much simpler when you could pick them up and tell by the size, rpm and amount of songs what they were.

Originally posted by soundian:

I've confused myself, the more I think about it, the blurrier the edges get between single,ep,lp and mini-album. It was so much simpler when you could pick them up and tell by the size, rpm and amount of songs what they were.

Yeah...Bloody proggers...

*flounces cape*

• 3 weeks later...
Guest RomanChoke

"You fucking hit it right on the fucking head there you fucking bastard" - Eddie Hitler