aberdeen-music

Your first ever gig in Aberdeen?

cutie claire

• 2 weeks later...

I THINK my first gig was some free thing at the beach in 1998 or so? Ocean Colour Scene played and so did Jamelia, before she had any HITS and anybody knew who she was. Does anyone else remember this or did I make it up? The only thing I can remember about it was Jamelia saying "do you want to hear my new single?" to an enthusiastic crowd, but we were at the back and everyone around us said in the same miserable monotone "no."

Because I have no real memory of that concert and to retain STREET CRED, I always claim that my first proper gig was the very cool Barenaked Ladies at the Music Hall in 2001.

First gig in Aberdeen (not ever, though), pretty sure was Mick Jones's (of The Clash fame) band (which Wiki tells me must've been Carbon/Silicon) at the Lemon Tree in late 2004, maybe 2005. Small crowd, pretty cool; though people kept calling for Clash songs, especially Train in Vain, which got irritating as it became clear they weren't going to do any Clash stuff (apparently they broke into an impromptu Clash riff during a jam-y part of one of their own tracks, which I didn't catch). The Needles opened, so that was the first band I actually saw.

1 hour ago, scottyboy said:

First gig in Aberdeen (not ever, though), pretty sure was Mick Jones's (of The Clash fame) band (which Wiki tells me must've been Carbon/Silicon) at the Lemon Tree in late 2004, maybe 2005. Small crowd, pretty cool; though people kept calling for Clash songs, especially Train in Vain, which got irritating as it became clear they weren't going to do any Clash stuff (apparently they broke into an impromptu Clash riff during a jam-y part of one of their own tracks, which I didn't catch). The Needles opened, so that was the first band I actually saw.

Played alongside the needles with our band many a time in the 90s.. They were more 50s than the 50s at times. Cool band

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/10/2017 at 2:05 PM, kirsten said:

I THINK my first gig was some free thing at the beach in 1998 or so? Ocean Colour Scene played and so did Jamelia, before she had any HITS and anybody knew who she was. Does anyone else remember this or did I make it up? The only thing I can remember about it was Jamelia saying "do you want to hear my new single?" to an enthusiastic crowd, but we were at the back and everyone around us said in the same miserable monotone "no."

Because I have no real memory of that concert and to retain STREET CRED, I always claim that my first proper gig was the very cool Barenaked Ladies at the Music Hall in 2001.

That beach one would be the Radio One Roadshow 1999 - http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12279370.Radio_One_takes_the_high_road_north/

I think I skived work to get pissed after that one.

• 6 months later...