aberdeen-music

Your first ever gig in Aberdeen?

cutie claire

Kazakstan Crazies

The firs gig i ever went to was in 2004 in the Lemon Tree when i was working fr the Aberdeen Festival. There were these two local bands (I presume) who were supporting one of the festival acts which was a fucked up and bizzare rock band from Kazakstan (god knows the spelling) who were fronted by this skimpily dressed woman who looked like tia carrera dancing and playing the violin. Not the first aberdonian gig experience id hoped for.

Though first one when i lived here was last October when i went to see my friends band Aveda at Kef. I subsequently stole the drummer.

Dx

terrorvision at the music hall. think it was 96

snap. also my first ever crowd surf and a painful one too! surfed into a big hole and fell on me head, got straight back up again and finished my surf. good times.

first local gig was probably lift and kingsize in the works as part of aberdeen alternative festival. brilliant gig it was too.

The firs gig i ever went to was in 2004 in the Lemon Tree when i was working fr the Aberdeen Festival. There were these two local bands (I presume) who were supporting one of the festival acts which was a fucked up and bizzare rock band from Kazakstan (god knows the spelling) who were fronted by this skimpily dressed woman who looked like tia carrera dancing and playing the violin. Not the first aberdonian gig experience id hoped for.

Though first one when i lived here was last October when i went to see my friends band Aveda at Kef. I subsequently stole the drummer.

Dx

I think that Khazakstani lot were Ulytau.....the worst Kitchen Cynics gig ever was supporting them at Drummonds the same week. They took more than 2hours to soundcheck, so we had to go straight on stage and start playing, which would've been OK if it was me solo, but there was sitar, cello and ukelin involved.

I still have nightmares about it!!!!!!!

• 11 years later...
4 hours ago, James Broonbreed said:

Sure that wisna 1996? My mum never let me go to that gig. I saw Meatloaf there a few months prior though....

Google says you're right, in which case i was 16 and weighed 8 stone. A pal of Burrows let us stay at his flat since the last bus back to Broch was long gone by the time the gig finished, we stayed up all night chattering, high as kites and he kicked us out about 5am for keeping him awake. Wandered the streets until Mcdonalds opened then got the first bus home. Sam or Wilson (or both) pished in the guy's chip pan. He was a dick. 

56 minutes ago, Soda Jerk said:

Everytime I Die at The Tunnels. Sometime in 2008. Was alright. I'm not particularly in to them, bar one or two songs.

First ever gig was Less Than Jake in '99, Leeds Cockpit (RIP)

I always feel like Every Time I Die are a band I should be well into and I can't put my finger on what it is that's stopping them from clicking with me.

First ever gig was Fenix TX at Northumbria Uni in '02.

Less than jake and fenix tx were among my first gigs too. There’s a black hole in my memory where my very first gig should be. No idea what it was.

i never did a chaperoned AECC pop concert. My family were too poor for that back in the day. So it must have been a proper gig when I was a bit older.

I think I might have been here if that counts:

My first gig in Aberdeen was Bob Dylan at the AECC in 2000.  That was actually a few years before I came to live here.  I'm not really that big a Dylan fan but some friends of mine were travelling up from Fife and had a spare ticket.  It was all right I suppose.

My first gig ever was the Senseless Things at the Black Lion in Northampton in 1989.  It was quite fun.  Most of the audience were old punks, so were miles older than the band themselves.   That was my first gig unless I count seeing Dexy's Midnight Runners and Chas and Dave on a school trip to watch a live recording of Crackerjack.  That was in around 1983 during the Stu 'I could crush a grape' Francis era of the programme.  I think they might have been miming, so it probably doesn't count as a proper gig.  We recreated their performances in a school assembly a few weeks later.  Good times.

10 hours ago, Mr Owl PhD said:

My first gig in Aberdeen was Bob Dylan at the AECC in 2000.  That was actually a few years before I came to live here.  I'm not really that big a Dylan fan but some friends of mine were travelling up from Fife and had a spare ticket.  It was all right I suppose.

My first gig ever was the Senseless Things at the Black Lion in Northampton in 1989.  It was quite fun.  Most of the audience were old punks, so were miles older than the band themselves.   That was my first gig unless I count seeing Dexy's Midnight Runners and Chas and Dave on a school trip to watch a live recording of Crackerjack.  That was in around 1983 during the Stu 'I could crush a grape' Francis era of the programme.  I think they might have been miming, so it probably doesn't count as a proper gig.  We recreated their performances in a school assembly a few weeks later.  Good times.

I was at that Dylan gig. Very disappointing. 

15 hours ago, Woodsinho said:

I always feel like Every Time I Die are a band I should be well into and I can't put my finger on what it is that's stopping them from clicking with me.

ETID have roughly 2 good songs per album. pretty good live but a bit meh otherwise

16 hours ago, Woodsinho said:

I want to like them because they're huge Buffalo sabres fans. Unfortunately I think their music is meh.

My first gig in Aberdeen was Radiohead at the AECC on Thursday 20 November 1997, with Teenage Fanclub and DJ Shadow also on the bill. Radiohead’s setlist:

01 Airbag
02 Karma Police
03 The Bends
04 Exit Music (for a Film)
05 Talk Show Host
06 Subterranean Homesick Alien
07 Climbing Up the Walls
08 Creep
09 My Iron Lung
10 Lucky
11 Planet Telex
12 Bullet Proof..I Wish I Was
13 No Surprises
14 Bones
15 Just
16 Paranoid Android
17 Fake Plastic Trees
18 Electioneering
19 Banana Co.
20 (Nice Dream)
21 Street Spirit (Fade Out)

19 minutes ago, Eupraxia said:

My first gig in Aberdeen was Radiohead at the AECC on Thursday 20 November 1997, with Teenage Fanclub and DJ Shadow also on the bill. Radiohead’s setlist:

01 Airbag
02 Karma Police
03 The Bends
04 Exit Music (for a Film)
05 Talk Show Host
06 Subterranean Homesick Alien
07 Climbing Up the Walls
08 Creep
09 My Iron Lung
10 Lucky
11 Planet Telex
12 Bullet Proof..I Wish I Was
13 No Surprises
14 Bones
15 Just
16 Paranoid Android
17 Fake Plastic Trees
18 Electioneering
19 Banana Co.
20 (Nice Dream)
21 Street Spirit (Fade Out)

First and,  to date, last time I've seen Radiohead. I was right at the front,  right in front of Thom Yorke. Great gig.