aberdeen-music

Sandi Thom

Ian

http://chartreuse.wordpress.com/2006/04/06/is-sandi-thom-a-fraud-or-how-to-lose-your-career-on-internet-time/

Quite an interesting article about her success and how it was engineered.

I dont think its a surprise that it was engineered tbh, if she was hitting those kind of audience figures weekly she probably would have been relying on selling quite a high percentage on it and she wouldnt have needed to sign for Sony/BMG. I think tbh her best bet would have been to not comment too much on the actual webcasts etc and keep quiet and let the music speak for itself.

All in all it was an engineered ploy, doesnt really matter, what matters is people are liking what they hear now, well done to her for managing to get her stuff out there and achieving what most of us wish we could, making a living via music.

Cheers

Stuart

Andy Cameron already wrote a song along similar lines in 1978' date=' whose lyrics are more fitting to sandi thom....

"I want to be a punk rocker but ma mammy won't let me"[/quote']

"She said if I'm a punk she will though me oot and hit me

I wanna be a punk rocker but I feart tae be a punk

Coz my mammy winnae let me be a punk..."

B Side of Ally's Tartan Army...I remember it well. Scotland in the World Cup..those were the days :down:

I must say that this is one very well written article. :up:

I laughed out loud several times whilst reading it.

me too, but it seems really unfair to single out somebody like sandi thom, who'll just be forgotten in a couple of years. i agree with the rhetoric, but it's pointless when applied to somebody as unimportant as thom; why not go after one of the big boys like coldplay, robbie williams or u2 (who've been on auto-pilot, producing 'content' for what, fifteen years now?)

me too' date=' but it seems really unfair to single out somebody like sandi thom, who'll just be forgotten in a couple of years. i agree with the rhetoric, but it's pointless when applied to somebody as unimportant as thom; why not go after one of the big boys like coldplay, robbie williams or u2 (who've been on auto-pilot, producing 'content' for what, fifteen years now?)[/quote']

That's what I was trying to get at earlier...it's all the same now, why pick on a quine fae Macduff when the majority of the music biz is like that?

That's what I was trying to get at earlier...it's all the same now' date=' why pick on a quine fae Macduff when the majority of the music biz is like that?[/quote']

because she's an easy target, plus bono is a born guardian reader and they don't want to kill sales. ;)

Guest bluesxman
me too' date=' but it seems really unfair to single out somebody like sandi thom, who'll just be forgotten in a couple of years. i agree with the rhetoric, but it's pointless when applied to somebody as unimportant as thom; why not go after one of the big boys like coldplay, robbie williams or u2 (who've been on auto-pilot, producing 'content' for what, fifteen years now?)[/quote']

U2 were the most experimental they have ever been during the 90's, the last 2 albums have seen them return to a watered down and generally poorer version of their early albums.

Sandi Thom has covered The Stranglers No More Heroes on the B-side, My God. o_O

Classis comment following that article about how vibrators must have been used during her web cast to gain that much interest.... :up: