aberdeen-music

Sandi Thom

Ian

It's not all politics. Blues is about the shit of life in general. A good song is a good song no matter what ...can't say that a song has actually changed anything.

i agree a good songs a good song, but politics and music is a touchy one, if pulled off correctly, can work really well..................

but theres nothing worse than a band trying to be punk by singing about politics and not having a clue :down:

i personally could nt pull it off because if it ever came to dabate i would just be wiped flat out

Dinna get me started on punk rock

It's not all politics. Blues is about the shit of life in general. A good song is a good song no matter what ...can't say that a song has actually changed anything.

Free Nelson Mandela

Free free

Free free free Nelson Mandela

Free Nelson Mandela

21 years count to the tee

Shoes too small to fit his feet

His body is used but his mind is still free

You're so blind that you cannot see

Free Nelson Mandela

Visited the causes at the AMC

Only one man in a large army

You're so deaf that you cannot hear him

Free Nelson Mandela

21 tears count to the tee

You're so deaf that you cannot hear him

You're so dumb that you cannot speak

Free Nelson Mandela

----------

i have no speakers on my machine so i can't listen yet' date=' but i keep imagining a cross between kt tunstall and avril lavigne.

good luck to her alright would be cool to see some recognition come to this corner for a change.

Anyone know what other bands have made a success in the industry from this area, i know the idlewild drummers from macduff and driveblind have been in america for years anyone else made a splash as in radio play MTV etc.[/quote']

The obvious ones are Annie Lennox and Adam Ant - surely everyone knows that!

On a completely different topic, has anyone seen that brass plaque inset in the pavement, in front of Marshall College? It says AdamAnt! Do you think thats where he stole his stage name from? I've always wondered!

The obvious ones are Annie Lennox and Adam Ant - surely everyone knows that!

On a completely different topic' date=' has anyone seen that brass plaque inset in the pavement, in front of Marshall College? It says AdamAnt! Do you think thats where he stole his stage name from? I've always wondered![/quote']

Really - I had no idea that Stuart Goddard was from this area!!! I was aware of Annie fae Ellon though. I used to kid folk that my last house (outside Ellon) used to be her old place!

DZL

I used to live next door to Sandi Thom. My mum was shocked that she didn't know what 'broth' or 'macaroni cheese' were, and states that her mother basically fed her on mars bars and crisps. I'm not a huge fan of her music, but well done to her, I'm sure she'll be 'living the dream' in no time. I hope she eats better these days.

• 1 month later...
Guest DustyDeviada

Looks like she is going to be number one on Sunday. Kind of bizarre considering the same single was released a few month ago and didn't even break into the top 40.

Just goes to show how important major label backing still is.

Looks like she is going to be number one on Sunday. Kind of bizarre considering the same single was released a few month ago and didn't even break into the top 40.

Just goes to show how important major label backing still is.

The Road to Amarillo took far longer...but on a serious note there are many singles which are re-released and then do something...or not.

Agree with the Melua shite' date=' I loathe her voice and songs. That's even before I knew Mike Batt was involved.

[/quote']

I really like Katie Melua, think she has some excellent songs and a wonderful voice.

Don't get me started on that Mike Batt though. Fat bastard. He stayed at my hotel this year and he's a prick of the highest order. He made a barmaid cry twice just by being a obnoxious loudmouthed cunt.

Choice quotes from him include "What do you know, you're just a fucking barmaid". And "I don't care what your name is. I'll just call you barmaid". He spoke to all the staff as though theyt were his personal servants.

I really wanted to say "Hey fanny-baws, somebody's dropped some litter outside, go pick it up, womble-boy" but then I remembered that I'd get fired so I didn't.

Guest DustyDeviada
Choice quotes from him include "What do you know' date=' you're just a fucking barmaid". And "I don't care what your name is. I'll just call you barmaid". He spoke to all the staff as though theyt were his personal servants.

I really wanted to say "Hey fanny-baws, somebody's dropped some litter outside, go pick it up, womble-boy" but then I remembered that I'd get fired so I didn't.[/quote']

Would have been worth it I reckon. In fact next time Melua's at the AECC I might get a job at your hotel just to have the chance to say it to him.

Let's not forget he's responsible for Bright Eyes as well (the song, not the band)

Guest bluesxman
I really like Katie Melua' date=' think she has some excellent songs and a wonderful voice.

Don't get me started on that Mike Batt though. Fat bastard. He stayed at my hotel this year and he's a prick of the highest order. He made a barmaid cry twice just by being a obnoxious loudmouthed cunt.

Choice quotes from him include "What do you know, you're just a fucking barmaid". And "I don't care what your name is. I'll just call you barmaid". He spoke to all the staff as though theyt were his personal servants.

I really wanted to say "Hey fanny-baws, somebody's dropped some litter outside, go pick it up, womble-boy" but then I remembered that I'd get fired so I didn't.[/quote']

I would have chinned the c**t and found a new job. Or if your boss had any ounce of decency would have recognised your action as honourable in light of -

1. The guy being a c**t.

2. The guy being responsible for crimes against music.

And so given you a 'warning'.

Apparently shes now signed to SONY BMG' date=' not bad for a wee girl from banff.

i have'nt actually heard anything of her yet but will be interesting to see if record big wigs will start taking notice of smaller places from the success of kt tunstall, sandi thom etc

..........any thoughts?

.........anyone know her when she played around aberdeen?

:popcorn:[/quote']

strange i only just noticed...my parents live in the house she and her family lived in before she went to McCartneys'.

they`re gonna sell it for a ridiculous price when she`s really really famous.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DustyDeviada

Congrats to Sandi Thom, number one single.

I for one like the way that downloads are messing with the position that songs enter the chart at. For the last three years it has been really crap that singles just go straight in at their highest position then drop.

Guest bluesxman

It was only after Gnarls Barkley deleted their song though.....and after hearing it the other day for the first time, it's crap and makes no sense.

I love how heaps of folk are criticising the lyrics.

Shut the fuck up' date=' it's only a song, and if she wants to write lyrics that don't make sense it's up to her. She's even said herself that they don't make sense.

Jesus...[/quote']

well it does really...i think lyrics are really important to a song.

the words are trying to make her sound all "revolutionary" and "FUK DA SYSTEM" etc and it's total bullshit.

plus i stick to my earlier comment that her voice is not even that good, she cannot pull off singing a song about crap.