aberdeen-music

Lightning Bolt Tickets Now On Sale

Yeah I know it would be' date=' but it tends to be the way they do things. I think nowadays they have their equipment set up prior to them playing so that the punters know exactly where to go if they are wanting to physically see them play.

[/quote']

as oppose to setting up during a set? o_O

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

aye they used to set up during a set. they did it at atp and sonic youth finished screaming lightning bolt' date=' and at the other side of the venue lightning bolt cracked into their set

dj scotch egg is the one im most lookign forward to seeing[/quote']

yea i knew that but the way it was said earlier brought visions of them banging a snare with one hand while setting up the cymbal with the other.

yea i knew that but the way it was said earlier brought visions of them banging a snare with one hand while setting up the cymbal with the other.

:laughing:

Yeah I guess I didn't word that very well. What I meant was that they may set up before Project: Ven Hell or DJ Scotch Egg play, so that punters know where to stand if they are wanting to see them play.

There

Correctly posted under my own name this time!

is this because i refuse to hold seminars about helping pish bands i dont like eh and "crushing kids dreams" ? ;)

Who, in there right mind would ask yeah to? :laughing:

I, along with Dave Occifefferr, thought about the 'what if it is shit' angle, not that I'm expecting it to be like, far from it! Its a big deal to many and I'm super chuffed for Shaz pulling it off, we first spoke about this in a 'what if' manner when Drakes was still going! Still though, as far as most are concerned it is just another gig and their seminal status isn't known to most. But we are all 'loud' (sp delberate) to get excited about stuff, even Babyshambles, if it floats yer boat...

Jim

Bump

Correctly posted under my own name this time!

Who' date=' in there right mind would ask yeah to? :laughing:

I, along with Dave Occifefferr, thought about the 'what if it is shit' angle, not that I'm expecting it to be like, far from it! Its a big deal to many and I'm super chuffed for Shaz pulling it off, we first spoke about this in a 'what if' manner when Drakes was still going! Still though, as far as most are concerned it is just another gig and their seminal status isn't known to most. But we are all aloud to get excited about stuff, even Babyshambles, if it floats yer boat...

Jim[/quote']

Go back to shcool!

good gig! i thought scotch egg was going to be completely shit when i heard what it was meant to be but it ended up being pretty good though a little loud.

lightning bolt were a spectacle. still not sure it's for me but you can't fault them really. kinda like a punk dream theater in that a lot of felt like a technical showcase as opposed to actual songs but they did make an awesome noise and standing against the wall was truly amazing.

for me the band of the night were venhell. i know they didn't believe me when i said they were better than lightning bolt last night but they've got better songs. you can make the most awesome noise ever but there still needs to be a hook there for me, venhell had it and lightning bolt didn't last night.

great gig all round though and full marks to arkade for putting it on, grand turnout as well! pat on the back for aberdeen methinks.

great gig all round though and full marks to arkade for putting it on' date=' grand turnout as well! pat on the back for aberdeen methinks.[/quote']

Looked like a good gig from the footage i saw. Sounded good too. Pat on the back for Arkade in general for actually going out their and getting it done. :up:

Fantastic night and as I said to quite a few last night 'I have no idea why I enjoyed it and have no idea what LB make me feel like, but I like it! Wouldn't buy it but I like it! I'm with Dave in that PVH were my stand out band last night. They just keep getting better! PVH giving the big wigs a run for their money!

Top work.

J

For the first time in years, my ears are ringing after a gig, and still are! My foot is in severe pain this morning (because i chose to drink over taking painkillers), but fuck it, it was worth it!

Project: Ven Hell were alright. The band were tight as fuck, but the singer was such a disappointment! I was expecting extreme insanity, not just because of what I heard, but it would have fit the rest of the band and the music so well. Plus, he seemed to drink more than he did sing. I don't know wether or not it was just an off night for him, so hopefully next time I catch them, I leave thinking that they are a great band to see live.

DJ Scotch Egg has to be the highlight of the night for me. Short but sweet set, and awesome crowd interaction! In this case, I wasn't expecting insanity at all, but he really got the audience going. I also liked how he played only new material, until his encore-type thing where he took out another gameboy, turned it on so everyone heard the bleep of the Nintendo logo, and shot straight into Tetris Wonderland. Incredible. I heard it was louder at the back of Tunnels, but I was standing near the left monitors so I could hear the tunes very clear indeed.

Lightning Bolt were incredible. I don't know wether or not it's because the bassist tunes to a cello and uses a banjo string for his high string and yet still pumps out the most beefy riffs to vibrate the walls/floor, or wether the drumming is just completely pure mental, but either way, what a brilliant act to see live. I was a bit wary of trying to get to the front because of having a crutch, but there was no jumping about on my side of the crowd thankfully. The bassist had to keep pushing away this guy with his hoodie up because he kept banging into him, which must have been annoying.

That has to be the loudest band I have ever heard, most likely because I was so near the amps! The music they play is completely live-orientated, and the whole set like it was them having a huge jam to mutual friends only, and not just some crowd. Eventually, I managed to get to the front for their final song - Dracula Mountain, and I have to say that it was the best song of their entire set. The drummer was going completely nuts and I think the volume must have been turned up or something, because it was just this pure wall of sound which if you think about it, is quite an achievement from only two guys being in the band. Pity about the amp blowing (at least, that is what it smelt like), and yeah I know it will cost money to fix, but what a way to end the set, especially after Dracula Mountain of all songs.

Thanks very much to Arkade for putting this on. It was such a brilliant gig. The only criticism I have of the night isn't about the promoters, but the punters. During PVH and Scotch Egg, most of the folk there were just fucking yapping! Thank god the music was so loud that you couldn't hear them. I mean it is up to them if they want to come to the gig or not, but I felt a lot of people there weren't there for the music at all, and when Lightning Bolt came on, you could see it in their faces that they couldn't handle them. In my eyes, what the fuck is the point wasting 8 quid for a gig that you aren't even going to like? Still, at least a lot of people went, which is great.

thankfully. The bassist had to keep pushing away this guy with his hoodie up because he kept banging into him' date=' which must have been annoying..[/quote']

Yeah, he was getting on my tits as well - he was standing to my right & kept leaning down to take photos. In doing so he kept spreading his left leg further and further out and moving me further back. I eventually moved away because he was pissing me off too much.

Yeah' date=' he was getting on my tits as well - he was standing to my right & kept leaning down to take photos. In doing so he kept spreading his left leg further and further out and moving me further back. I eventually moved away because he was pissing me off too much.[/quote']

it also looked like he tried to nab the drummer's mask at the end, ha!

exactly!!

but this is what phil genevieve told me i should be doing with some of my time

:laughing:

Thats bullshit, thats not what i suggested at all. I just told you you could be more constructive with your criticism than just being a total twat and shooting down impressionable youngsters ideas because you're a fanny on the internet. You're intelligent enough and have enough experience on a lot of matters to put it to good use in the aberdeen music community. I told you i'd like to see you make a difference rather than waste what talents you have being an obstinate cunt.

Don't hide behind the net, if you want to moan about private conversations we've had then come speak to me in person.