aberdeen-music

Favourite Unsung Psychedelic Sixties Songs.

belladonnaleaves

The Beatles thread got me thinking of old psych stuff of yesteryear and since i've dug around myself looking for the better obscure "psychedelic" type groups from that era i thought i'd see what other folk's own favourites might be. Some i thought of:

west coast pop art experimental band - a child's guide to good and evil (not for everyone but totally wonderous title track and "as the world rises and falls" , "eighteen is over the hill")

kinks - see my friend (ok not obscure but it's 1965 /fancy - (another early "psych" sounding song.)

skip spence - oar (it's celebrated now, but wasn't always so, "little hands" , "cripple creek" , "war in peace" , "grey/afro/this time he has come" - still totally fried.)

amon duul - paradiewarts duul ("love is peace" in particular.)

david crosby - if i could only remember my name ( "music is love", "laughing" , "traction in the rain" - gorgeous and unrepeatable.)

essra mohawk - primordial lovers (try the first song "i am the breeze")

That's all i've thought of for now. (Oh and i've just realised the title of this thread reads "favourite songs" but albums or whatever will do too seeing as i've already messed that up myself.)

Guest bluesxman

You're Gonna Miss Me - 13th Floor Elevators (pretty much anything off their first 2 albums 'Psychedelic Sounds Of...' and 'Easter Everywehere')

Love And Confusion - Jimi Hendrix Experience

Five Years Ahead Of My Time - Third Bardo

Green Fuz - Green Fuz

I Ain't No Miracle Worker - The Brogues

Psychotic Reaction - Count Five

I'm inclined towards Bluesxman's interpretation of the term 'psyche' rather than that of the originator of this thread, but here goes...

The Monacles: Spider and the Fly (screeching bad trip about a boy turning into a giant spider and killing his mother)

The Outcast: 1523 Blair

The Chob: We're Pretty Quick

(You could argue whether the above two are so much psyche as just garage, but the nonsense lyrics settle it)

Teddy & Patches: Suzy Creamcheese (starts as a mad Louie-Louie-type frat-stomp and breaks down into, well, god knows what)

Satori: Time Machine (layers of appropriately inappropriate instruments all played by the same (very odd) guy)

The Bees: Voices Green and Purple (title says it all, really)

I'm inclined towards Bluesxman's interpretation of the term 'psyche' rather than that of the originator of this thread, but here goes...

Well, any interpretation is fine by me. What did you think was the main difference out of interest? I'm just on the lookout for odd, weird possibly vintage songs. I'll investigate your recommendations.

Cheers:)

A punk who likes prog, well I never!!!

"Beyond and Before" by YES on their debut LP is quite a good bust of psychedelia...

Oooh, wouldn't that be "file under progressive"?

It is ace regardless!!! Pity they lost the plot by about their 3rd album.

Oooh' date=' wouldn't that be "file under progressive"?

It is ace regardless!!! Pity they lost the plot by about their 3rd album.[/quote']

Psychedelic Jazz maybe :) That albums a few years short of prog.

Side one of The Yes Album (3rd album) is still great and probably amongst their best stuff....Time and a Word was a bit of a miss for me.

Psychedelic Jazz maybe :) That albums a few years short of prog.

Side one of The Yes Album (3rd album) is still great and probably amongst their best stuff....Time and a Word was a bit of a miss for me.

It was dubbed as progressive/underground at the time, as my International Times(IT) from 1969 prove. :p

Well, any interpretation is fine by me. What did you think was the main difference out of interest? I'm just on the lookout for odd, weird possibly vintage songs. I'll investigate your recommendations.

Cheers:)

Well, as far as my tastes go, the sort of psyche you were referring to would be filed under "hippy shite". I mean that in the nicest possible way...

My use of the term would be to refer to the sort of stuff found on Pebbles Vol. 3 (The Acid Gallery), for instance. The sort of thing you might use terms such as 'paint-peeling' and 'wig-flipping' to describe. Basically raw sixties garage stuff, played by kids who would have started off playing Louie Louie but then discovered acid and magic mushrooms and instead of thinking about peace and love and peppermint, sang songs about spiders and the like.

Another one that's occurred to me would be Blue Cheer's version of Summertime Blues. A very psyched-out version, almost unrecognisable. And heavy as fuck, too.

electric prunes-had too much to dream last night

red krayola band- hurricane fighter plane

Both excellent tracks I forgot to mention.

It would probably surprise a few people to discover that one of their favourite Karloff tunes (Hurricane Fighter Plane) is actually a sixties psyche track. It's an entirely ace track, although Mike Cavern once played me the original unedited version which, as far as I remember, goes on for about 10 minutes with nonsense noise before - and only if you listen very carefully - the song starts. It was quite upsetting.

Well' date=' as far as my tastes go, the sort of psyche you were referring to would be filed under "hippy shite". I mean that in the nicest possible way...

My use of the term would be to refer to the sort of stuff found on Pebbles Vol. 3 (The Acid Gallery), for instance. The sort of thing you might use terms such as 'paint-peeling' and 'wig-flipping' to describe. Basically raw sixties garage stuff, played by kids who would have started off playing Louie Louie but then discovered acid and magic mushrooms and instead of thinking about peace and love and peppermint, sang songs about spiders and the like.

Alright then. File it as you will. I understand the type of thing you mean though. And i like a lot of it too.

Guest Gasss
Both excellent tracks I forgot to mention.

It would probably surprise a few people to discover that one of their favourite Karloff tunes (Hurricane Fighter Plane) is actually a sixties psyche track. It's an entirely ace track' date=' although Mike Cavern once played me the original unedited version which, as far as I remember, goes on for about 10 minutes with nonsense noise before - and only if you listen very carefully - the song starts. It was quite upsetting.[/quote']

Parable of Arable Land by The Red Krayola is incredible. I love how all the songs are separated by free form freak outs. Transparent radiation is probably my favourite, particularly after seeing Yo La Tengo perform it with Sonic Boom from Spacemen 3.

Don't forget Love, they ruled the strip.