aberdeen-music

Ariel Pink (paw tracks) BELONG (car park) - Sun 10th June 06

chilli

see THAT is the problem ,you are too narrow minded to even give the band a chance.

I'm unusual that I will go and see virtually any live entertainment,,I'm not fussy, I'll go to see Jazz and Blues even though they usually bore the tits off me, because occasionally you come across amazing musicians like Bug and Stuart Ritchie which make enduring dozens of boring bands worthwhile.

A good song will always remain a good song ,and it will be interesting to see if any of the bands from the last few years remain as popular as The Clash The Sex Pistols The Damned etc etc in the future.

I write experimental music and would not dream of wasting punters time and money performing it live,even though I'm sure some audiences would love it.

Being petty and narrow minded and slating a band you have never seen may make you feel you are cool,but it is pretty moronic.

16again is about having fun,pity you are too cool to join in.

Show me a picture of you wearing a beard net,I fancy a laugh.

Don't dispute anything you say there. However there is just too much new stuff I haven't seen/heard before to bother with rehashes of stuff I have, no matter how good or much fun it is.

New stuff rather than old stuff is my general rule of thumb.

Does Moz count? I don't know, it's not an exact science but I'm looking forward to seeing him on Saturday.

New or old it does not make any difference - good is good and shite is shite - if I had the chance to collaberate with people making good new sounds I would,it's a pity I only play covers but it's better than doing nothing or playing music going nowhere.

I usually see more bands in a week than most people see in a month,frustrating as it is - more than half the acts are not to my liking - including The Smiths and dozens other supposedly fantastic bands.16again are a fantastic live band and I will not tolerate idiots who have never even seen the band live slag us.A lot of bands like New Order should stick to studios as they are embarrasing on stage .Mind you Ian Brown can't sing a note and he gets decent sized audiences,Morrisey acts and speaks like a tool but plenty folk think the sun shines out of his arse.I saw David Bowie perform new songs - they sucked and I wish he had done a few of his older but good songs.

There is a time and a place for most things,I think that going out to gigs should be an uplifting experience ,Mi and Lau are a very good example of The Emperors New Clothes scenario,where they bored me shitless but were then given rapturous applause because no one had the balls to say For fuck sake cheer up ye miserable bastards and gae some talented fucker a chance to use the stage.

If I want to be depressed or bored I'll go to Torry,if I want to be entertained I go to concerts,but sadly am too often NOT entertained and feel my intelligence and pocket have been ripped off in the name of "NEW MUSIC".

Stroszek sound fantastic ,but very like some 80s bands- is this a bad thing? I dont think so good is good, and no matter how many people tell me something is good I will not agree till I have seen them live - to me that is what it is all about - anyone can sound great on CD, but being a good performer, sadly, is out of too many peoples grasp.

see THAT is the problem ' date='you are too narrow minded to even give the band a chance.[/quote']

Ok, a million and one points in your last couple of threads but I want to address this one specifically.

As far as I can make out "the band" are a covers act, right? Now, I own enough Pistols, Clash, Ramones, etc, etc recordings on vinyl or cd to know what to expect at a 16again gig.

So, basically, I'm interested in knowing what 16again bring to these recordings in order to make them new or fresh. Or is new and fresh not the point? are we speaking carbon copies of the orginals?

At the end of the day are you not just a cabaret band? Is it not just "we will rock you - the musical" for the blank generation?

this thread should be about this amazing show.......

('m resisting the temptation to comment on some of the crass, banal ignorant

comments made by an individual)

Ariel Pink (paw tracks) BELONG (car park) - Sun 10th June 06 - 28-03-2006 21:56

interesting music are very proud to announce that two of the accaimed stars of the recent SXSW festival in Austin Texas are coming to Aberdeen in June:-

The Tunnels

Sunday 10th June 06

Doors 8pm

Ariel Pink (paw tracks records)

Belong (car park records)

+ support

Advance Tickets 7+ booking fee

available from 1UP Records Belmont Street Aberdeen

OR

from interesting music events from now till then

Guest bluesxman
New or old it does not make any difference - good is good and shite is shite - if I had the chance to collaberate with people making good new sounds I would' date='it's a pity I only play covers but it's better than doing nothing or playing music going nowhere.

I usually see more bands in a week than most people see in a month,frustrating as it is - more than half the acts are not to my liking - including The Smiths and dozens other supposedly fantastic bands.16again are a fantastic live band and I will not tolerate idiots who have never even seen the band live slag us.A lot of bands like New Order should stick to studios as they are embarrasing on stage .Mind you Ian Brown can't sing a note and he gets decent sized audiences,Morrisey acts and speaks like a tool but plenty folk think the sun shines out of his arse.I saw David Bowie perform new songs - they sucked and I wish he had done a few of his older but good songs.

There is a time and a place for most things,I think that going out to gigs should be an uplifting experience ,Mi and Lau are a very good example of The Emperors New Clothes scenario,where they bored me shitless but were then given rapturous applause because no one had the balls to say For fuck sake cheer up ye miserable bastards and gae some talented fucker a chance to use the stage.

If I want to be depressed or bored I'll go to Torry,if I want to be entertained I go to concerts,but sadly am too often NOT entertained and feel my intelligence and pocket have been ripped off in the name of "NEW MUSIC".

Stroszek sound fantastic ,but very like some 80s bands- is this a bad thing? I dont think so good is good, and no matter how many people tell me something is good I will not agree till I have seen them live - to me that is what it is all about - anyone can sound great on CD, but being a good performer, sadly, is out of too many peoples grasp.[/quote']

No-one has slagged off your bands live performance as far as I can see, they have merely stated they are not interested in paying to see a punk covers band, what's the problem with that? For the 4 quid you pay to see you guys you could probably buy some cheap punk compilation that contains the originals of what you are playing.

No doubt a lot of people are interested in what you are doing, but the problem lately is that you seem to tiresomely promote 16Again on every single band thread and harangue people who choose to go and see what they find interesting rather than your band. For all your talk of people broadening their horizons you consistently put down other people's tastes because you don't like it.

I should add that I'm not fussed about cover bands and what they do personally, when I lived in Edinburgh I used to go see Bombskare all the time at The Postillion pub on a Sunday afternoon. Great piss up, great atmosphere and great to hear some good ska covers, BUT they mixed in their own stuff and it was FREE!!

I think you have to accept that a lot of the songs you play aren't even that renowned as punk classics except amongst nostalgic old punks.....and I say more SSSHHHHing at IMP gigs, in fact chuck the cunts out I say. If you wanna pay money to get into a gig to yap shite what's the point, fuck off to the pub!

• Upvote 1

No doubt a lot of people are interested in what you are doing' date=' but the problem lately is that you seem to tiresomely promote 16Again on every single band thread and harangue people who choose to go and see what they find interesting rather than your band. For all your talk of people broadening their horizons you consistently put down other people's tastes because you don't like it.[/quote']

He's hardly alone...

Its just that you guys are so cinvinced of your own superiority and so far up your own backsides it hurts. You are utter snobs.

Aww, don't say that - I'll get all upset.

Nobody's convinced of their own superiority, believe me.

Up our own backsides? No more so than 90% of the bands that post on here.

Utter snobs? I don't think so - you're getting mixed up with enthusiasm over the bands that are being put on.

I still think Blink182 are shite, though. But, you know what, that doesn't impact on your life one iota. If you're still listening to them in 10 years time and still disagree with my opinion then let me know.

• 3 weeks later...