aberdeen-music

Whats your favourite The Beatles album?

-matthEw-

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's always songs rather than full albums for me, since there were 3 full songwriting talents in the beatles picking one album is really a bit impossible. Revolver is perhaps the best overall album in terms of consistency of mood and songwriting, sergeant peppers feels random but takes you on a "trip" through moods and stylings but there's something about the white album. I think it's a childhood thing for me. Songs like "happiness is a warm gun" and "julia" are just so vivid in feeling and put me in a surreal place with the lucid imagery etc.

Aside from that abbey road is still a great album and send-off (to the sixties as well as to the beatles) and earlier albums like a hard days night are much simpler, and maybe easier to take in. I'll say the strawberry fields/penny lane single does it for me. It's them at their peak. I don't think strawberry fields will ever lose its ability to affect the listener in slightly disturbing ways, and penny lane it's poignancy and imagination.

It's always songs rather than full albums for me' date=' since there were 3 full songwriting talents in the beatles picking one album is really a bit impossible. Revolver is perhaps the best overall album in terms of consistency of mood and songwriting, sergeant peppers feels random but takes you on a "trip" through moods and stylings but there's something about the white album. I think it's a childhood thing for me. Songs like "happiness is a warm gun" and "julia" are just so vivid in feeling and put me in a surreal place with the lucid imagery etc.

Aside from that abbey road is still a great album and send-off (to the sixties as well as to the beatles) and earlier albums like a hard days night are much simpler, and maybe easier to take in. I'll say the strawberry fields/penny lane single does it for me. It's them at their peak. I don't think strawberry fields will ever lose its ability to affect the listener in slightly disturbing ways, and penny lane it's poignancy and imagination.[/quote']

Good points there

Revolver for me at a push but I love em all.

I would say it would have to be............................The Best of the Beatles...........

Nah, seriously, I would say White Album if it was a single album, but there really is some shite on that Album. Revolver for me is the best - I'm in the minority who like McCartney so that album works best for me. It has the best "obvious" pop songs they had done in a while, but also some mad experimental stuff. The "sessions" for that album were great for me too, with Paperback Writer, Rain etc.

It's a toss-up between 'Revolver' and 'Rubber Soul', but if you were to condense 'The White Album' down to a single, trim off the fat, it would piss on everything. Ever.

I have to say when you play them on vinyl, the warmest, most touching sound comes from 'Rubber Soul'. It is a masterpiece of production.

It's a toss-up between 'Revolver' and 'Rubber Soul'' date=' but if you were to condense 'The White Album' down to a single, trim off the fat, it would piss on everything. Ever.

I have to say when you play them on vinyl, the warmest, most touching sound comes from 'Rubber Soul'. It is a masterpiece of production.[/quote']

i'd agree with that. the white album has my favourite songs on it but there's too much bad ones on there to make it a great album. it's the one i always go back to first though, then skip through every third song or so.

Guest DustyDeviada
I would say it would have to be............................The Best of the Beatles...........

:up: And of course Wings were the band the Beatles could have become.

The only negative points on revolver are the tracks Paul McCartney sings (with the exception of Eleanor Rigby)' date=' just can't stand his whining. [/quote']

Can't agree with that, For No One is one of the best and most under-rated Beatles tracks. Try listening to it after you've just been dumped and you are obsessing about your ex, you'll know what I mean.

But for me the best album overall is Abbey Road, not a duff track on it, and I would like to have Golden Slumbers/The End etc played at my funeral. And I'd probably leave Her Majesty in too.

It's a toss-up between 'Revolver' and 'Rubber Soul'' date=' but if you were to condense 'The White Album' down to a single, trim off the fat, it would piss on everything. Ever.

I have to say when you play them on vinyl, the warmest, most touching sound comes from 'Rubber Soul'. It is a masterpiece of production.[/quote']

George Martin wanted it to be a single LP too but even the filler is better than some bands output.

The production on most of their stuff is excellent, they were lucky to have George Martin for the majority of their career.

Regarding McCartney comment earlier, can't agree, he's got a great voice and it ...and he was the perfect foil to Lennon. Superb musician too.

Guest DustyDeviada

What songs would people take off the White Album then? I can't think of many:

Martha My Dear

Don't Pass Me By

Revolution 9

Good Night

I could live without. Would the rest fit on a single album?

Guest DustyDeviada
"I'd have to say... the best of the beatles" ;)

Too slow.

I think revolution 9 should be kept on as it's probably most people's first exposure to avant garde music. They may only listen to the track once, but it has a huge impact, whether to can tolerate it or think it's utter pish...

I'd remove:

3. Glass Onion

4. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da

5. Wild Honey Pie

6. The Continuing Story Of Bungalow Bill

12. Piggies

13. Rocky Raccoon

14. Don't Pass Me By

15. Why Don't We Do It In The Road

9. Honey Pie

10. Savoy Truffle

Leaving:

1. Back In The U.S.S.R.

2. Dear Prudence

7. While My Guitar Gently Weeps

8. Happiness Is A Warm Gun

9. Martha My Dear

10. Im So Tired

11. Blackbird

16. I Will

17. Julia

1. Birthday

2. Yer Blues

3. Mother Nature's Son

4. Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me & My Monkey

5. Sexy Sadie

6. Helter Skelter

7. Long Long Long

8. Revolution 1

11. Cry Baby Cry

12. Revolution 9

13. Good Night

Guest DustyDeviada

Just goes to show they were right to leave it as a double then, these are some of my favourites on the album:

3. Glass Onion

4. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da

12. Piggies

13. Rocky Raccoon

Just goes to show they were right to leave it as a double then' date=' these are some of my favourites on the album:

3. Glass Onion

4. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da

12. Piggies

13. Rocky Raccoon

15. Why Don't We Do It In The Road[/quote']

This goes to show that you infact could be a mentalist :p

I think revolution 9 should be kept on as it's probably most people's first exposure to avant garde music. They may only listen to the track once' date=' but it has a huge impact, whether to can tolerate it or think it's utter pish...

I'd remove:

3. Glass Onion

4. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da

5. Wild Honey Pie

12. Piggies

13. Rocky Raccoon

14. Don't Pass Me By

9. Honey Pie

10. Savoy Truffle

Leaving:

1. Back In The U.S.S.R.

2. Dear Prudence

7. While My Guitar Gently Weeps

8. Happiness Is A Warm Gun

9. Martha My Dear

10. Im So Tired

11. Blackbird

16. I Will

17. Julia

1. Birthday

2. Yer Blues

3. Mother Nature's Son

4. Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me & My Monkey

5. Sexy Sadie

6. Helter Skelter

7. Long Long Long

8. Revolution 1

11. Cry Baby Cry

12. Revolution 9

13. Good Night[/quote']

you're insane!!

Guest DustyDeviada
I wouldn't say I have a favourite album as they all have shite on them' date=' but if I had to pick I'd say Abbey Road.[/quote']

What's shite on Abbey Road?

It's a personal thing with the White album - I don't think the group themsleves could decide what they liked and never liked - that's why it's such a sprawling double album. The making of it made George leave the band for a few days it was so difficult.

Personally speaking I'd say Glass Onion is a key track as is Ob - La - Di - Ob - La - Da. It kind of summed up where they were at the time I think. Paul being safe, poppy and singalong while John was being sarcastic about the whole Beatles cult thing.

Honey Pie and Wild Honey Pie are pretty "experimental" for me as is Revolution 9. The definitive "Revolution" for me is found on the back of "Hey Jude."

Helter Skelter, Back in the USSR, While My Guitar, Dear Prudence, Blackbird, Julia: For me some of the best beatles songs, indeed, some of the best songs ever written.