aberdeen-music

Desk Jocky and Techy Chap Wanted

Trannyvan

If the thoughts of a 15k Nexo/Turbosound/Crown/Soundcraft PA and a 16-piece live kick arse band jiggle the pants, drop us a line.

Our resident soundmand/techy/roadie is leaving in the agreeable future for personal reasons and we are on the tap for a replacement.

The position is an inherent part of the bands set up and utter reliability is required.

Band is self contained and nowt is hired in. Role includes attendance at weekly practises, and on gig days ( about twice a month ) gear load-in, set up, sound check, desk operation during gig, derig and load-out at the end.

Sound like all downside, but there is a divvy and a chance to be a part of a local but pro set up playing some of the most desirable gigs available.

You also need to be a Bob the Builder type with your own tool kit to fix things when they go walkabouts.....

Music is all live from drums, Hammond C3, Njord Keyboard, 2 guitars, bass, 6 horns, 4 female singers and a male singer.......manage this lot and ya CV will shine !!!!

Check us out at www.souledasylum.co.uk

Not to everyones taste, granted but hey its bleeding good fun all the same.

Thanks

Mike:laughing:

Band is self contained and nowt is hired in. Role includes attendance at weekly practises' date=' and on gig days ( about twice a month ) gear load-in, set up, sound check, desk operation during gig, derig and load-out at the end.

Sound like all downside, but there is a divvy and a chance to be a part of a local but pro set up playing some of the most desirable gigs available.

You also need to be a Bob the Builder type with your own tool kit to fix things when they go walkabouts.....

[/quote']

Do you pay for the sound engineer to attend practices?

Why is that necessary?

Well Starsky I guess I am the lucky one. Our band has fingers Ken as the resident Hammond virtuoso and two more fellas in the horn section that play mean Hammond. They reckon the only music thats more fun than soul, is the sound of crisp twenties fluttering as the end of night divvy is palmed. !!!

We are out and out soulmen !

As to Soundian, our soundman is so important to us especially at practises cos he is our ears and eyes as we rehearse new material and put right old stuff that we may have balls up at the previous gig.

Like us he does it for the love and bearing in mind that even at rehearsals we use our own gear ( part of it that is ) we need all the hands we can get. The end result is total familiarity and continuity when we gig cos he knows when all the breaks are, and the sliders all end up being at the right place at the right time. 16-piece band dont forget.

Got to go, at AECC tonight and looking forward to letting the PA ripppppp......

Thanks

Mike

Sound Engineers

Souled Asylum Practices are every Wednesday night from 7 - 10 (the regularity varies during holiday periods).

If you have the time to spare and want a chance to use all that fancy gadgetry in the biggest venues in Aberdeen (and the challenge of squeezing it into smaller venues!!!) then it is a great opportunity for anyone. I don't think there is a band of this size with the type of equipment we have for miles around.

There have been a lot of changes in the band recently, which have injected a new sound, increased desire for authenticity and passion into the playing. As a member of the brass section, I am aware that subtlety and expressiveness are of utmost importance for Soul music - a great deal of this comes down to the sound engineering I suppose when everything comes through the sound system. For anyone who is interested and would like to expand and develop their talent, it would be amazing to work with, enhance and make the subtleties and expressions sing out. It makes the sound crew the finishing touch and final member(s) of the band.

Colin (Tenor Sax (organ grinder - starsky, I will be picking up the CDs after work))

Souled Asylum Practices are every Wednesday night from 7 - 10 (the regularity varies during holiday periods).

If you have the time to spare and want a chance to use all that fancy gadgetry in the biggest venues in Aberdeen (and the challenge of squeezing it into smaller venues!!!) then it is a great opportunity for anyone. I don't think there is a band of this size with the type of equipment we have for miles around.

There have been a lot of changes in the band recently' date=' which have injected a new sound, increased desire for authenticity and passion into the playing. As a member of the brass section, I am aware that subtlety and expressiveness are of utmost importance for Soul music - a great deal of this comes down to the sound engineering I suppose when everything comes through the sound system. For anyone who is interested and would like to expand and develop their talent, it would be amazing to work with, enhance and make the subtleties and expressions sing out. It makes the sound crew the finishing touch and final member(s) of the band.

Colin (Tenor Sax (organ grinder - starsky, I will be picking up the CDs after work))[/quote']

So can I just get this straight.....you need someone to unload the van, set up the gear for a 16 pc band (including hammond), rig the pa, mike up, do the sound check, do sound during gig, tear down all equipment, load van, attend all practices to rig gear and pa, do sound, tear down all gear and load van.......single handed.....?(

No, sorry .... there are a crew of band members and guys that get involved with setting up, about 6 or 7. If you want to know more detail about the loading in, de-rigging, money for gigging/doing the set up (extra money for that), get in touch with Mike Rowe (TrannyVan). I am not involved with the setting up side of things so don't know any of the technical specs or setting up procedures - I do know that the crew are very efficient and get things done in as little time as possible.

As Mike said, it is not for everyone - we are booked up a year in advance (something that requires a lot of commitment from all members of the band) and have a crazy amount of equipment (and people) that needs set up for every gig. It has to be something you think you would really enjoy doing and would get pleasure from - that is why we all do it and commit to it.

We are playing in the Blue Lamp on the 15th April, so if anyone wants to come along and see the band - good night in itself - see the equipment, and chat about stuff face to face, that is all the better.

Colin

• 2 weeks later...

EDIT: I deleted a paragraph because reading it back I thought I sounded to negative........Must be something in the air (hehe)

Would it not be better if you guys trained up someone? That way you all benefit.

Anyway good luck. :)

Have seen the band once was well impressed. Just had a look at your website and everything is looking well proffessional. The only bad comment would be the audio demos on your site. They dont sound that good. All that gear too.

If you still need help i may be available. Just email me.