aberdeen-music

Most controversial album cover

EchelonDivision

My top ten would be

1] Brujeria - Matando Gueros

2] Iron Maiden - Women in Uniform 12" (featuring Maggie Thatcher being murdered)

3] Guns 'n' Roses - Appetite for Destruction

4] Metallica - Load

5] Acid Bath - When the Kite String Pops

6] Blind Faith - Blind Faith

7] Cannibal Corpse - Butchered at Birth

8] Chumbawamba - Anarchy

9] Paris - Sonic Jihad

10] Depression - Depression

What would yours be?

Remember not to post any covers which controvene the terms and conditions of this bulletin board.

ba_paris1.jpg

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't remember which band it was, some Norwegian Death metal band possibly, but the singer went to the guitarists house and found that he had cut his wrists and shot himself in the head with a shotgun. Rather than phone the emergency services, he took photos, one of which was used as the cover for some live album the band released. Damn my feeble memory for not remembering!

Guest Phantomsmasher
I can't remember which band it was' date=' some Norwegian Death metal band possibly, but the singer went to the guitarists house and found that he had cut his wrists and shot himself in the head with a shotgun. Rather than phone the emergency services, he took photos, one of which was used as the cover for some live album the band released. Damn my feeble memory for not remembering![/quote']

That would be Mayhem.

Black Metal bands, in spite of their 'good' (depends on taste) music did some right fucking dumb things.

Ah, it was Mayhem's frontman Dead who committed suicide. His note simply read "Excuse all the blood". The ammunition was supplied by Varg Vikernes (Count Grishnak of Burzum).

His body was discovered by Aarseth who, instead of calling the police, ran to a nearby corner shop and bought a disposable camera which he used to photograph the corpse for a future Mayhem album cover (Dawn of the Black Hearts).

Apocryphal reports also claim that he then took some pieces of Dead's splattered brains and made a stew out of them and/or members of the band took bone fragments from their friend's skull and made necklaces out of them.

Later, Vikernes killed Aarseth in Aarseth's home, stabbing him 23 times, although Vikernes claims that Aarseth fell on broken glass while running from him and that he really stabbed him only 4 or 5 times.

I can't remember which band it was' date=' some Norwegian Death metal band possibly, but the singer went to the guitarists house and found that he had cut his wrists and shot himself in the head with a shotgun. Rather than phone the emergency services, he took photos, one of which was used as the cover for some live album the band released. Damn my feeble memory for not remembering![/quote']

the cover is listed in the google image directory if you type in "The Dawn Of The Black Hearts".

"Originally released on LP by Mauricio "Bull Metal" Montoya (R.I.P) who played

in Masacre and was also the owner of Warmaster Records in Colombia. The

original version has golden letters on the cover and was limited to 300 copies.

Illegally reissued many times afterwards, making it one of the most bootlegged

albums in the whole metal history."

in my opinion, the most controversial album cover would be Conflicts' "Carlo Giuliani".

1)Naked City - Leng tch'e (Google Image it)

I can only think of the beatles "butcher" sleeve for the "yesterday and today" compilation to go with this, but the story behind the naked city photo is horrific. I read that H.R Giger saw pictures from the execution of an assassin in china who killed the emperor in 1904. Apparently he couldn't sleep for weeks. I believe the naked city cover is from a japanese execution, but is no less horrible.

Bonesaw - Live by the Bone' date=' Die by the Saw (Aberdeen's own Bonesaw indeed)[/quote']

Is that the cover that has a photo of a gruesome murder/somone getting cut up or something? Taken from ogrish!?

Guest DustyDeviada
Spinal Tap's' date=' Smell the Glove I believe was pretty horrific :up:[/quote']

yes, a perfect demonstration of how fine the line is between "clever" and "stupid" - it's just that little turnaround.

If we're talking controversial, then I guess Never Mind the Bollocks by the Sex Pistols was probably the most controversial ever, there was a huge court case about it. Most of the albums that have been mentioned here may be offensive but they're not particularly controversial as in most cases the acts concerned are pretty obscure and unlikely to worry the Daily Mail.

The Beatles' Yesterday and Today "butcher" sleeve would be another obvious "controversial" sleve.

butcher1.jpg

What was controversial about Appetite for Destruction?