aberdeen-music

Music in Aberdeen

Stripey

Its horrible isn't it?

It's a nightmare. It's this kind of attitude that's made playing a gig in Aberdeen just like going out for a pint. There's bands in Aberdeen using good venues as if they're a rehearsal space and an excuse to get all their mates down. I've seen bands in Aberdeen and thought, 'I wonder if they just thought, well there's nothing on at the Cinema, will we just go and play a gig somewhere and pretend we're a band?'. I resent having to pay £5 quid to see shit like that.

It's a nightmare. It's this kind of attitude that's made playing a gig in Aberdeen just like going out for a pint. There's bands in Aberdeen using good venues as if they're a rehearsal space and an excuse to get all their mates down. I've seen bands in Aberdeen and thought' date=' 'I wonder if they just thought, well there's nothing on at the Cinema, will we just go and play a gig somewhere and pretend we're a band?'. I resent having to pay 5 quid to see shit like that.[/quote']

You won't resent going to this!

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33310

To be honest, some bands in Aberdeen take themselves to serious and others dont take themselves serious enough. Saying that, there seems to be a lot of pressure for bands to be deadly serious and tour all the time.

Having not lived in Aberdeen for all my life, I did notice that on arriving here, the scene is very clique (sp) and insular, there are a lot of backstabbing bastards but there are also some really nice folk.

To be honest' date=' some bands in Aberdeen take themselves to serious and others dont take themselves serious enough. Saying that, there seems to be a lot of pressure for bands to be deadly serious and tour all the time.

Having not lived in Aberdeen for all my life, I did notice that on arriving here, the scene is very clique (sp) and insular, there are a lot of backstabbing bastards but there are also some really nice folk.[/quote']

I can honestly say that I haven't noticed any pressure for bands to be deadly serious and tour all the time, let alone a lot of pressure. Where are you getting this from? I'm not having a go, just interested whereabouts this exists.

Guest Mr Blastcap
Funniest post ever haha

i was being very, very serious.

everyone should go to Fraser's of Ellon.

i just listened to one of Stripeys tunes- that is the root of the problem- people dont understand his genius.

I've heard people on here suggest that aberdeen has a "thriving" or "vibrant" music scene. I disagree. I think this is a delusion which has it's roots in a toxic mixture of mediocre "artists" or "bands"' date=' venues who are too willing to allow anyone to play, and networks of obsequious friends and naive children.

There are threads on here where people complain about poor attendance at gigs. Stop complaining! The attendance is poor because nobody gives a fuck about your pathetic band and your bullshit songs. It's that simple.

The venues that give a platform to this mediocrity are part of the problem. I'm sure they have their own, perhaps misguided motives that somehow allow them to justify putting on gigs with bands that draw miniscule, and often underage audiences. But really, is it actually financially viable to put on some crap bands early in the evening for an audience of kids that don't use the bar?

The level of creativity among the so called musicians that constitute the local "music scene" is utterly pathetic, with some very rare exceptions.

There is an obvious disregard for recordings aswell which I find bizarre. Perhaps these bands prefer to let promoters and venues take the risk on putting on gigs rather than commiting themselves to creating a definitive recording.

Anyway, your thoughts?[/quote']

no-one would have dared say this in 2002.

[PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT]

I fear that may have been too subtle. To anyone skimming past my above post on the basis that it contains only a 2 word insult and a full stop - please be aware that it also contains an entire 'hidden' paragraph of carefully worded parody (that took me 8 minutes to think up and edit).

Thank You.

It is Sunday afterall.

[/RESUME FLAMEWAR]

EDIT: So how many of you plainly overage children are coming down to get pissed and listed to a medicore and poorly attended jam tonight, hosted in a misguided venue that should know better? Alternatively there's always:

A) Continuing to participate in this exceptionally dull and moronic thread.

B) Downloading Stripeys tunes and spending all night listening to them.

C) 'Songs of Praise', 'The Antique's Roadshow', and a cup of cocoa before bed and school on Monday.

DSC_0730.jpg

EDIT: So how many of you plainly overage children are coming down to get pissed and listed to a medicore and poorly attended jam tonight' date=' hosted in a misguided venue that should know better? Alternatively there's always:

A) Continuing to participate in this exceptionally dull and moronic thread.

B) Downloading Stripeys tunes and spending all night listening to them.

C) 'Songs of Praise', 'The Antique's Roadshow', and a cup of cocoa before bed and school on Monday.

[/quote']

Nah, I'll be listening to my Master Musicians of Joujouka albums whilst thinking of ways to merge the musics melodic and rhythmic flavours in to a jazz-rock maelstrom!

mastermusicians.jpg

I can honestly say that I haven't noticed any pressure for bands to be deadly serious and tour all the time' date=' let alone a lot of pressure. Where are you getting this from? I'm not having a go, just interested whereabouts this exists.[/quote']

there does seem to be a general consensis that if you are not trying to "make" it then your band is a joke in aberdeen, personally ive never understood it. I play to have fun, if something else happens then so be it.

there does seem to be a general consensis that if you are not trying to "make" it then your band is a joke in aberdeen' date=' personally ive never understood it. I play to have fun, if something else happens then so be it.[/quote']

Add a bit of 'creative satisfaction' to that and that's pretty much the same as me.

But as a musician don't you want your music to heard as wide an audience as possible? Isn't that creative satisfaction too? Nae argueing with your atittude' date=' just playing devil's advocate.[/quote']

yes and no, it would obvioulsy be nice, but its not the only reason i play. I play music because i love it, i love playing the drums, and being in bands lets me do what i enjoy, if other people enjoy it then its a bonus, but for me as long as i am happy with what i am playing then im not really to fussed what everyone else thinks.

But as a musician don't you want your music to heard as wide an audience as possible? Isn't that creative satisfaction too? Nae argueing with your atittude' date=' just playing devil's advocate.[/quote']

The problem is, getting your music heard by as many people as possible throws up lots of problems. The internet has changed that a lot though, but...

Having thousands of people loving your music whilst playing at a big gig for example would be great, but what you have to do to get to that point isn't so great in my opinion.

I'm sick of the "I'm doing this simply for creativity, shit"! I've been in hunners oh bands and near been signed a cooupla times. I'm so fucking hungry for the fame and stardom! I had a call from a Mr Mephistopheles, A and R dude from some record label that has(n't) heard us. Meeting him this week and we are going to bash out a deal to bring Staccato music to the millions and will allow me to indulge every my human fantasy... Should be good but I fear I may be too old fro the skateboarding side of things!

Guest Mr Blastcap
I'm sick of the "I'm doing this simply for creativity' date=' shit"! I've been in hunners oh bands and near been signed a cooupla times. I'm so fucking hungry for the fame and stardom! I had a call from a Mr Mephistopheles, A and R dude from some record label that has(n't) heard us. Meeting him this week and we are going to bash out a deal to bring Staccato music to the millions and will allow me to indulge every my human fantasy... Should be good but I fear I may be too old fro the skateboarding side of things![/quote']

superb! staccato set on top o the pops.

Wow' date=' the lyrics to Yahotee's Floor will go down a storm![/quote']

We dropped that one from the set cause even Ziggy didn't know what he was saying... I did consider taping subtitles to his chin but the last I saw him he was sporting a giant Everst climbing beard so he was inaudible anyways. Back on topic though, music is shit and its all about the birds!!!!!

:up: