aberdeen-music

Music in Aberdeen

Stripey

Guest Neubeatz
Out of all the people who have posted in agreement with Stripey' date=' and subtracting those that either

a)Rarely go to gigs

or

b)Seem to have such a narrow taste in music

I'm left with two people, who may or may not fit into one (or both) of the above categories.

So, while there may be several posts by people agreeing with Stripey, it all seems to be people who are basing their opinions on supposition and internet chatter, or personal taste in music, rather than actual facts.[/quote']

Sometimes for a so called technician/engineer Ian, you display a distinct lack of logic.

Guest Neubeatz
Or they are all the same person. One of the key benefits of sociopathism is the ability to manufacture your own friends. LMAO.

One of the advantages of paying a website is the ability to speak shit.

Guest Neubeatz
Really?

Or is there some reason you think that a so called technician/engineer won't actually be at gigs on a very regular basis.

No, I didnt say you aint at gigs often, your interpretation of the replies in the thread is obviously different than mine......:)

Balls. I'm 20 years old and I think the majority of Aberdeen bands are shite - most just are unoriginal or just need to practise.

I suppose I should get my zimmer out' date=' eh? No... I realise that my opinion stems from the fact that a lot of the problems with bands in Aberdeen is an overall (there are exceptions to this) lack of variety in the music and most bands lack the professional edge and unique streak that makes me go, "wow". Simple.

Saying that... the last few times I've ventured out I've had a great time... It's all to do with careful selecting in what gigs I attend.[/quote']

I pretty much agree with this. I'm not exactly old either. The lack of originality is what really pisses me off, it's like some kind of bizarre timewarp here, in terms of the music and also the technical approach. Case in point, I watched a documentary from 1995 the other night about the music business, and they were filming some A+R guys at a big label reviewing the daily slew of demos they receive. One that they pulled out the box had a photo and they basically said "christ, long hair, leather jackets, flying V guitars, you know what it's gonna sound like before you stick it in the player innit?" and chucked the tape in the bin.

Someone posted earlier saying that they haven't seen me at many gigs. Well there is a simple reason for that. There aren't a lot of gigs going on here that I feel compelled to attend, and there certainly aren't any local bands that make me want to go and see them perform.

Where is the creativity?

I pretty much agree with this. I'm not exactly old either. The lack of originality is what really pisses me off' date=' it's like some kind of bizarre timewarp here, in terms of the music and also the technical approach. Case in point, I watched a documentary from 1995 the other night about the music business, and they were filming some A+R guys at a big label reviewing the daily slew of demos they receive. One that they pulled out the box had a photo and they basically said "christ, long hair, leather jackets, flying V guitars, you know what it's gonna sound like before you stick it in the player innit?" and chucked the tape in the bin.

Someone posted earlier saying that they haven't seen me at many gigs. Well there is a simple reason for that. There aren't a lot of gigs going on here that I feel compelled to attend, and there certainly aren't any local bands that make me want to go and see them perform.

Where is the creativity?[/quote']

It's still there, same as it always was.

I don't know what you expect. The overall ratio of good bands to shite ones is no different to any other place, or any other time. I went to gigs in the 90s. There weren't that many bands around, but maybe one out of ten bands impressed me. I go to gigs now. There's a lot more bands now, but still maybe one in ten bands impress me. And I've been to local scene type gigs in Glasgow, London, wherever. Still maybe one in ten. There's no more to complain about now, or here, than there ever was before, or than there is anywhere else. That doesn't change. You can't demand that a scene gets better. People decide to be in a band, then they do what they do. Some of them are talented, some are not. Complaining does not improve that ratio.

It's still there' date=' same as it always was.

I don't know what you expect. The overall ratio of good bands to shite ones is no different to any other place, or any other time. I went to gigs in the 90s. There weren't that many bands around, but maybe one out of ten bands impressed me. I go to gigs now. There's a lot more bands now, but still maybe one in ten bands impress me. And I've been to local scene type gigs in Glasgow, London, wherever. Still maybe one in ten. There's no more to complain about now, or here, than there ever was before, or than there is anywhere else. That doesn't change. You can't demand that a scene gets better. People decide to be in a band, then they do what they do. Some of them are talented, some are not. Complaining does not improve that ratio.[/quote']

I have to agree with Frosty, and also add:

Remember, we see the "kindergarten" bands in Aberdeen, but rarley get subjected to "kindergarten bands" from other cities, so it's easy to form the misconception that Aberdeen is somehow inferior.

I pretty much agree with this. I'm not exactly old either. The lack of originality is what really pisses me off' date=' it's like some kind of bizarre timewarp here, in terms of the music and also the technical approach. Case in point, I watched a documentary from 1995 the other night about the music business, and they were filming some A+R guys at a big label reviewing the daily slew of demos they receive. One that they pulled out the box had a photo and they basically said "christ, long hair, leather jackets, flying V guitars, you know what it's gonna sound like before you stick it in the player innit?" and chucked the tape in the bin.

Where is the creativity?[/quote']

so you dont go to gigs yet you know about all of aberdeens bands and have written most of them off based purely on what you have read or heard off of this site yeh?

plenty of creative and original gigs in aberdeen. but ive never seen you there stripey. bill thomson' date=' cavern mike, imp, even some of our gigs all feature some creative and original bands/acts/performers

maybe see you down at lgihtning bolt + dj scotch egg???

or are you busy in your bedroom that night?[/quote']

Sorry but I think you and I have different ideas about what constitutes creative. As I said, I don't really go to gigs because there is generally nothing on that interests me, and in the past it has usually been a dissapointing experience.

It's interesting that despite several people expressing their distaste for the quality of music in the local scene in this thread, their opinions have been discounted and their legitemacy insulted by people who just seek to reinforce their own legitemacy, telling themselves and each other that it's "all ok, these detractors are just loonies".

I think this is a big part of the problem.

Sorry but I think you and I have different ideas about what constitutes creative. As I said' date=' I don't really go to gigs because there is generally nothing on that interests me, and in the past it has usually been a dissapointing experience.

It's interesting that despite several people expressing their distaste for the quality of music in the local scene in this thread, their opinions have been discounted and their legitemacy insulted by people who just seek to reinforce their own legitemacy, telling themselves and each other that it's "all ok, these detractors are just loonies".

I think this is a big part of the problem.[/quote']

For goodness sake, you are saying that you dont go to gigs because nothing interests you, but you appear to form these opinions not through hearing the bands but by listening to comments made by others on this site and by past experience.

It is not possible to come to a reasonable opinion of a band or entire music scene by not hearing the bands, I feel its also unfair to judge a scene and brand it publicly as shit when music, and the appreciation of that music, is so subjective, unless as I suspect you feel your opinion has more "legitimacy" than others.

History is awash with Individuals who believe that anyone who has ideas and opinions that are different from their own are "loonies"

Sorry but I think you and I have different ideas about what constitutes creative. As I said' date=' I don't really go to gigs because there is generally nothing on that interests me, and in the past it has usually been a dissapointing experience.

I think this is a big part of the problem.[/quote']

im not talkign abotu local acts, i was talkign about the acts that those aforementioned promoters bring to the city.

im not really interested in many local acts either.

goign by the music you put on the net/plagarise you would dig some of the laptop acts that imp put on, random number and quip were one that springs to mind

but as usual you are too pig ignorant

I think this is a big part of the problem.

Who says there's a general problem? If venue owners don't have enough revenue to buy comfy bog roll due to lack of interest, yeah... there's an issue. If epic bands are going fucking hungry because they can't get a gig thanks to El Promoter putting on mountains of sonic crap, something's wrong.

If you hate the scene, why expect someone else to change it for you?

• Upvote 1

Who says there's a general problem? If venue owners don't have enough revenue to buy comfy bog roll due to lack of interest' date=' yeah... there's an issue. If epic bands are going fucking hungry because they can't get a gig thanks to El Promoter putting on mountains of sonic crap, something's wrong.

If you hate the scene, why expect someone else to change it for you?[/quote']

bang on, well said!

im not really interested in many local acts either.

glad we agree on that' date=' which was my point in the first place. I'm talking about local acts.

goign by the music you put on the net/plagarise you would dig some of the laptop acts that imp put on, random number and quip were one that springs to mind

I'm curious as to what you think I've plagiarised?

stripey none of the music you have ever put up for feedback has ever been new or something you have come up with on your own, you have just used a formula that someone before you had laid down and put your own thing to it, like almost every single person in a band or group, yet you feel like its %100 origonal, im sorry to say it but people have been making drum and bass tunes in their bedrooms for years now, and im not slagging you tunes i like some of them but i wouldnt say they are origonal or that creative youve just used another popular medium to try and express yourself.

I use a medium too. These days I can only be conversed with at a seance (or aberdeen-music) having left this mortal coil in pursuit of a better life, or indeed, lack of it.