aberdeen-music

Music in Aberdeen

Stripey

Exactly, nowadays, gigs are better attended than almost ever before in the city, there are more bands with a wider variation of styles comin up, lots of decent aberdeen bands on the go, some who will go further than just playing shows here. I fail to see how the scene is failing in any respect. Having spoken to many people about the scene over the last 15 years i fail to see how things are worse now.

....however the public have voted with their feet' date=' and all the muppets are crying that the venues are genarally empty, while theres thousands of music lovers in this city who now avoid gigs like the plague

maybe there actually something wrong with putting on a lot of low quality shite for a quick buck and hoping the public keeps on swallowing it

quality control should come from the promoters and venues* who have a responsibilty to provide something decent....for their own long term business aims if nothing else

*some promoters/venues have sussed this already[/quote']

All those sold out/stupidly busy gigs I've been to in the past few weeks must've just been a dream.

Maybe there is, but market forces will decide. Bums on seats, as they say.

No venue can put on quality (in your opinion) 7 nights a week, 52 weeks of the year.

If quality is controlled rigidly, no new band would ever play live again.

...its just that there was far less shit ones getting payed to be shit' date=' probably

[/quote']

i dunno about this

im sure there are 'shit' band palying in aberdeen as we speak..

but all the 'shit' bands i have come across in the past year or so are not 'shit' at all

just not to my taste?

sure you mean that rather than 'THEY ARE SHIT?'

Get real man!

Guest Mr Blastcap

i've not seen a shit band in ages, last few gigs i'm at been good ken. mind i went cause a wantid to. I'll go to a fudge gig and see a varied line up, bouind to be a shit one i can girn about.

CITFOE

wowee!

sounds like things have taken a huge turn for the better

to be honest its about three months since Ive been to a gig (very skint and very busy) so maybe Ive missed out on the revival

so can we safely say that bands and promoters are all very happy about how well their gigs are supported? Yaaaaay!!!!! So can they pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease never mention it again! No more sob stories about how tough it is being a venue owner/promoter/band mamber.....well thank fuck for that! :love:

hooray!

the last 10 years of bleakness all swept away in a thread!

genuinely hope its true, first night in the town for ages for me this friday (and saturday wowee!) so I suppose ill find out soon enough.

Im exited now...really!

i dunno about this

im sure there are 'shit' band palying in aberdeen as we speak..

but all the 'shit' bands i have come across in the past year or so are not 'shit' at all

just not to my taste?

sure you mean that rather than 'THEY ARE SHIT?'

Get real man!

No

I mean bands that are amaturishly shit at what they do. Whether it rock/indie/punk whatever. Just poor.

Whether its my taste or not. Example: I generally detest all forms of metal and rock and so sensibly avoid it, but if I accidentally saw a metal band that was really very good, Id recognise that fact (even if I was still laughing at the demonic whisky drinking lyrics and guitar neck wanking). Id actually say (hypothetically of course) ''not my bag but shit hot at what they do''

if that ever happened...

apparently all bands are officially ace now anyway

thats why you should come on friday' date=' because none of the bands are metal and their lyrical content consists of lies, dancing naked with the polis in Govan, Arnold Schwarzenegger and feeling guilty about being sceptical of seeing an arab man wearing a backpack on a bus.[/quote']

Sounds cool but Im likely to be heading to the Tunnels for some reggae vibes

spoilt for choice all of a sudden

fuck!

hmm

No venue can put on quality (in your opinion) 7 nights a week' date=' 52 weeks of the year.

If quality is controlled rigidly, no new band would ever play live again.[/quote']

Point 1 - I think trying to put bands on 7 nights a week is ambitious and commendable but flawed in a town this size with this many venues

Point 2 - Quality control can be on a sensible scale and not just over simplified as ON or OFF. A lot of stuff has fallen below a certain threshold over the last few years IMO and a lot of people I know who have simply given up on bands now just go clubbing instead. If things are picking up....fantastic and a round of applause to everyone.

....quality control should come from the promoters and venues* who have a responsibilty to provide something decent....for their own long term business aims if nothing else

*some promoters/venues have sussed this already

If they do that then its going to be covers bands, tribute bands and indie all the way i'm afraid..... not good for the future of live music in Aberdeen.

Well I have to say I quite enjoy a good few of the local bands. I like to attend gigs when I can, which isn't as often as I'd like, cause I'm usually skint. I think there are some decent new bands up and coming, I was particularly impressed with Kenetic. Not my usual cup of tea, but I actually intend to buy the EP if / when it's released. My Minds Weapon's music really isn't my thing at all, but it's quite easy to appreciate the MMW are absolutely fantastic at what they do. The Weapon lads IMO outstrip a lot of bands in their genre, which you see polluting the music waves on the radio and tv. I don't wander into random gigs very often, but the last one I saw, was Radio Lucifer & Dear John. Obivously, I know Lucifer and think they're a fantastic local band (I've never walked away from a show disappointed yet), but I'd never heard of Dear John. I have to say by the time Dear John had finished their set, I was suitably impressed. The songs were thought out, definately had some originality about them, and the band were tighter than a Mother Superior's pussy. Even the Welles, who don't really impress me much in terms of song writing, are a brilliant live band. I can't deny that. The Welles, on occasions I've seen them, have been energetic, the quality of their playing has been top form & the band are tight. Of course there will be bands that are appauling, but everyone starts somewhere. Kudos to these bands for putting themselves out there, as the more they do so, the better they'll get. It's all a learning curve. I think it just goes back to the same old thing - EVERY scene has its good and bad bands, just some are glorified more than others, leading to misconception. Of course you'll find more good bands in Glasgow! It's about 3 x the size of Aberdeen! And of course London has more good bands than Glasgow - it's 6x bigger, go figure! Proportionately Aberdeen has pretty much the same level of quality and poor bands as anywhere. I personally think Aberdeen has a nice little scene on the go, and there are a lot of decent bands kicking around that I have, and will enjoy going to see again.

Andy

Local Bands (past / present) that I like

Radio Lucifer

Black Atom

Double Jack

Fester

10 Easy Wishes

Kenetic

Dear John

Midnight Noise Collective

Digital Sin

Stayover (shhhh)

The Cuts

Estrella

Ascension*

*they're actually a decent band, they're just unpopular because of the fights they get into on here - I've heard some of the new tunes, and it's some good shit

The Edgar Prais

The Welles

Kenetic

: (

to name the first 4 that came to my head' date=' again how many gigs do you go to, to make this conclusion or is it also based on what you read and hear off of aberdeen music?[/quote']

Aberdeen is good for people like you because it has no creativity or originality in its music, its all one big scene for the trendies

Yeh!

:up:

no no' date=' clubs arnt cool now a days, its all about the myspace baby, get your own page and find your true calling :D[/quote']

Cool! I have one of them! Even at my advanced years I am glad to say that I can still cut a strut and am l hip to the funky groove and down with the jives!

If they do that then its going to be covers bands' date=' tribute bands and indie all the way i'm afraid..... not good for the future of live music in Aberdeen.[/quote']

In other words they are thinking very short term / easy life and quick cash, but not thinking of the potential, like if they did something a wee bit braver or more ambitious (with higher initial risk obviously)....thankfully a few promoters think more ambitiously than others and funnily enough its the ones with the least funding who seem to take the risks where the ones with lots of funding (including our council tax) take no risks at all and as a result cheat us with the lowest common denominator every time.

I think we are agreeing?

Is'nt it interesting that many of the replies in this thread quantify and qualify the validity of the original post by Stripey.

Out of all the people who have posted in agreement with Stripey, and subtracting those that either

a)Rarely go to gigs

or

b)Seem to have such a narrow taste in music

I'm left with two people, who may or may not fit into one (or both) of the above categories.

So, while there may be several posts by people agreeing with Stripey, it all seems to be people who are basing their opinions on supposition and internet chatter, or personal taste in music, rather than actual facts.

Out of all the people who have posted in agreement with Stripey' date=' and subtracting those that either

a)Rarely go to gigs

or

b)Seem to have such a narrow taste in music

I'm left with two people, who may or may not fit into one (or both) of the above categories.

So, while there may be several posts by people agreeing with Stripey, it all seems to be people who are basing their opinions on supposition and internet chatter, or personal taste in music, rather than actual facts.[/quote']

Or they are all the same person. One of the key benefits of sociopathism is the ability to manufacture your own friends. LMAO.

In other words they are thinking very short term / easy life and quick cash' date=' but not thinking of the potential, like if they did something a wee bit braver or more ambitious (with higher initial risk obviously)....thankfully a few promoters think more ambitiously than others and funnily enough its the ones with the least funding who seem to take the risks where the ones with lots of funding (including our council tax) take no risks at all and as a result cheat us with the lowest common denominator every time.

I think we are agreeing?[/quote']

I get what you are saying, but like I've said before lots of people dont feel the need to be streched by their music, something safe and recognisable does most people, me included, im not saying that music of a "unique" or "risky" nature is a bad thing, but, I think a good cross section is the best plan.