aberdeen-music

Music in Aberdeen

Stripey

I've heard people on here suggest that aberdeen has a "thriving" or "vibrant" music scene. I disagree. I think this is a delusion which has it's roots in a toxic mixture of mediocre "artists" or "bands", venues who are too willing to allow anyone to play, and networks of obsequious friends and naive children.

There are threads on here where people complain about poor attendance at gigs. Stop complaining! The attendance is poor because nobody gives a fuck about your pathetic band and your bullshit songs. It's that simple.

The venues that give a platform to this mediocrity are part of the problem. I'm sure they have their own, perhaps misguided motives that somehow allow them to justify putting on gigs with bands that draw miniscule, and often underage audiences. But really, is it actually financially viable to put on some crap bands early in the evening for an audience of kids that don't use the bar?

The level of creativity among the so called musicians that constitute the local "music scene" is utterly pathetic, with some very rare exceptions.

There is an obvious disregard for recordings aswell which I find bizarre. Perhaps these bands prefer to let promoters and venues take the risk on putting on gigs rather than commiting themselves to creating a definitive recording.

Anyway, your thoughts?

I sort of agree on some of the points there.

Poor attendances in some shows I think is not and shouldn't always be blamed on the fact that no one likes the specific band. A lot of the time it's due to external factors such as the weather, the day of the gig and other events that are on the same day. Saying that, I think if the band is good enough then they would come regardless.

There is a few bands that do play too much in the same venue

in my opinion when really I beleive they should be going out of town to play as well as playing locally meaning that people don't get fed up of hearing the same songs.

Sometimes gigs aren't about making a profit and I doubt that was the reason the Tunnels, Moshulu and The Moorings exist in terms of putting on shows. I think it's a good thing that there is a recent surge of kids who want to go to gigs in Aberdeen. At least they are exposing them to the local music scene and encouraging to perhaps make their own band which would hopefully progress as times goes on.

I've heard people on here suggest that aberdeen has a "thriving" or "vibrant" music scene. I disagree. I think this is a delusion which has it's roots in a toxic mixture of mediocre "artists" or "bands"' date=' venues who are too willing to allow anyone to play, and networks of obsequious friends and naive children.

There are threads on here where people complain about poor attendance at gigs. Stop complaining! The attendance is poor because nobody gives a fuck about your pathetic band and your bullshit songs. It's that simple.

The venues that give a platform to this mediocrity are part of the problem. I'm sure they have their own, perhaps misguided motives that somehow allow them to justify putting on gigs with bands that draw miniscule, and often underage audiences. But really, is it actually financially viable to put on some crap bands early in the evening for an audience of kids that don't use the bar?

The level of creativity among the so called musicians that constitute the local "music scene" is utterly pathetic, with some very rare exceptions.

There is an obvious disregard for recordings aswell which I find bizarre. Perhaps these bands prefer to let promoters and venues take the risk on putting on gigs rather than commiting themselves to creating a definitive recording.

Anyway, your thoughts?[/quote']

I believe that your remarks are designed to be purly inflamatory and are based on your own personal taste??? in music. I dont go to gigs as much as I used to but on the odd occasion I do venture out, the standard of music, the numbers of punters and the queue's at the bar have all been healthy enough which would suggest that your comments are bullshit.

I have no idea what you base your opinion about creativity on, but I know of about ten bands currently who's creativity has impressed me, and i'm seriously out of touch with new bands.

And just as a matter of interest, how do bands come up with the money involved in producing the "difinitive recording" remembering that most new bands are school kids?

G...

Some good points made (albeit in a typically curmudgeonly way). However, I would disagree with the general premise that Aberdeen's music scene is not "vibrant" or "thriving".

Outwith the narrow confines of these boards, Aberdeen's other music genres continue to flourish - despite some threads recently on the type of bands booked to appear at the Lemon Tree, it continues to put on some excellent bands from all over - the Rootin Aboot festival in April contains some very exciting acts from the folk/roots scene.

Musical theatre in Aberdeen has a number of amateur groups, all doing well and drawing big audiences - even the Aberdeen Scout Gang Show (of which I used to be part of a loooong time ago) has all but sold out 6 performances at the Arts Centre. Given that the cast is relatively small (about 70), and the Arts Centre seats about 350 (I think), then this is more than just family and friends buying tickets.

There are a number of excellent youth orchestras, playing to a high standard (classical, big band and Jazz)

The Aberdeen Jazz festival is currently underway - again with performers from both local, national and international fields.

Not knowing too much about the hip hop/DJ/Electronic music scene in Aberdeen, all I would say is judging by the posters I have seen around town, there is a thriving scene here - I couldn't tell you if the acts advertised are local or national, but there seems to be plenty of events happening.

Concentrating more on what the majority of users of these boards would class as "the scene" - the main problem in my view is that the scene is too healthy - there are too many bands trying to play too many venues for too small a potential gig-going audience.

I do agree however, that it is pointless complaining about poor attendance at gigs - some, as Camie mentions, are poorly attended due to external factors - weather, other events, etc. But bands must take responsibility for promoting themselves as much as possible. It's not just the venue/promotors job - it's their job too!

The sheer number of bands in the "Aberdeen Scene" is proof of it's vibrancy. It doesn't matter if they're absolutely fantastic, mediocre, but with potential, or turgid dross. The mere fact that so many bands exist is a reflection of the interest of today's youth in playing live music and being in a band. When I first started playing in a band, there were between 12 and 15 bands playing in what would be now described as the scene. As time progressed (and there was a small bit of media/record company interest in the Aberdeen Scene in the early nineties) more bands formed. But there certainly wasn't the same eagerness to play music (and specifically guitar-based rock) as there seems to be today.

I would agree that there are some bands appearing which shouldn't - they've not done the work, and are gigging too early - one of the downsides of the current Aberdeen scene is that it is too easy to get a gig.

However, the suggestion that recording is something bands should concentrate on before gigging, is, certainly for the genres of music the majority of Aberdeen-music users favour, is not viable. When you play in a band, you need to play together to get better. Everyone starts out shite! Only by playing and playing and playing can you hone your craft and progress your music. And practicing only goes so far. Once you've practiced enough to be competent, it is playing live which puts the edge on the blade, so to speak. The adrenalin makes you work harder, you become more aware of what your fellow band members are doing, and you can push your creativity further.

And bands don't concentrate on recording for two reasons:

1) They wish to hone their sound by playing live. Recording for bands in these genres is something you work towards, and only do once you're ready.

2) It costs money to record - even the cheap deals at Captain Toms are pricey for young bands. Playing gigs is one way to try and build up band funds - and due to the large number of bands and venues, the available cash paid to bands for performing has drastically reduced (in the early '90s, my band regularly got paid between 80 and 120 a gig - in the first year we were playing!)

Not everyone has the home facilities to record the type of music they choose to play. If you are into electronic music, and have the equipment then it is much easier to record an excellent piece of work, and spend hours tweaking and polishing it until it cannot get any better. With a guitar based band scenario, then you are constrained by time and money.

Finally, I really find Stripey's attitude to "kids" baffling - music is a movement - it must continually grow and change, in order to prevent it becoming stagnant. The willingness of venues to put on under age shows encourages the scene, and a comment on whether it is financially viable or not is not really relevant to the rest of the thread - it's up to the venue to decide what they want to do. When I was underage, there were NO venues putting on bands for under 18s. (Luckily, I looked 21 when I was about 14 (the beard helped), so I could still get into places).

And everyone, not matter who they are, or what genre they are into, start off as "naive children" - Nobody springs from the womb with a fully honed musical taste. And why is a young person's opinion worth less just because they haven't listened to as wide a selection of styles and genres as someone a bit older. If they like something, then they like it, and that's all that should matter. It's very easy for older people to become "music fascists", and criticise what "the kids of today" are listening to - just as older generations have criticised younger people's tastes since time began. But they will develop their own views and no-one can change that.

(Stripey - for future posts, here's a handy list of cliches you may wish to adopt

"It's not even a proper tune"

"It's just a bloody noise"

"Bands/music were better in my day" ;->)

Aberdeen's scene IS vibrant and thriving due to the number of bands playing - yes, some of these bands are rubbish. But the more all the bands play, the better they will become. Either that or they will stop playing, split up, start new bands, and foster more creativity

Regards

Flossie

Guest Mr Blastcap

oh eight hundred dubba one duuuba oneeee

Isn't it strange that people who think the Aberdeen music scene is a joke still need to come on this site so much?

this board is a lot of fun, in case you've not noticed- exept when the threads get closed just as they get interesting. for example see the thread in Element 104/5/6/7/8 forum about a gig- great stuff- exactly what this site is all about.

i'm drinking wine now.

most of what you said stripey is garbage, you dont go to many gigs so i fail to see how you come to this conclusion. There is no real point in arguing tho, you have on many occasions made your feelings about this clear so why you needed to start another thread about it i dunno, your prob just looking for 10 pages of people having a go.

Guest onlynik

I think Stripey's right, there just seems to be a plethora of 'shitty' local bands, who are more intent on saying "We've played xx gigs this year at all these venues" there doesn't seem to be any good new local bands, it may be thriving but its not good music that's thriving. I think there is still a culture of folk just going to see their mates bands and leaving once they have played.

I also agree with Flossies point about the other music scene away from these boards is good, but last Monday in the Tunnels for the Black Velvets gig there was about 30 people there, and the weather wasn't that bad.

As for " other events that are on the same day" I'm not sure that this is always true. There really isnt much to do in Aberdeen, its a parochial wee town that got lucky with Oil. There are a few good bands who play the Lemon Tree, Music Hall, but if there is nothing for your taste buds there then you are kind of scuppered, the few good shows on at HMT are either over priced or your stuck up in the gods.

The first gig I'm looking forward to this year in Aberdeen is in August, however I'll be taking in some other gigs before then.

If you really want a good varied cultural music expreience, then you'll have to look outside Aberdeen.

I've heard people on here suggest that aberdeen has a "thriving" or "vibrant" music scene. I disagree. I think this is a delusion which has it's roots in a toxic mixture of mediocre "artists" or "bands"' date=' venues who are too willing to allow anyone to play, and networks of obsequious friends and naive children.

Anyway, your thoughts?[/quote']

Go live somewhere else or get a job with Aberdeen City Council

The Edgar Prais

The Welles

Kenetic

: (

to name the first 4 that came to my head' date=' again how many gigs do you go to, to make this conclusion or is it also based on what you read and hear off of aberdeen music?[/quote']

i can also think of 4 local bands who are currently in talks with labels..............not bad for a shit scene i think.

Guest onlynik
The Edgar Prais

The Welles

Kenetic

: (

to name the first 4 that came to my head' date=' again how many gigs do you go to, to make this conclusion or is it also based on what you read and hear off of aberdeen music?[/quote']

Oh I'm sorry I guess you go to gigs every night and think every band should headling at your favourite festival.

Used to go to gigs every week, but I became fed up with teh shite the were spewing out, sorry for not complying with your tastes, but I've heard The Welles and Kenetic, I'm not a fan. Just because people jump on a bandwagon doesn't make it good. Have the balls to say "hey this is pish" and go and do something less boring instead, also try to read the whole post.

FYI next gig I will be at will be LARKIN GRIMM , THE KITCHEN CYNICS , LESE MAJESTY at The Tunnels on Tuesday.

Oh I'm sorry I guess you go to gigs every night and think every band should headling at your favourite festival.

Used to go to gigs every week' date=' but I became fed up with teh shite the were spewing out, sorry for not complying with your tastes, but I've heard The Welles and Kenetic, I'm not a fan. Just because people jump on a bandwagon doesn't make it good. Have the balls to say "hey this is pish" and go and do something less boring instead, also try to read the whole post.

FYI next gig I will be at will be LARKIN GRIMM , THE KITCHEN CYNICS , LESE MAJESTY at The Tunnels on Tuesday.[/quote']

wow........

I was never meaning to have a go or anything i just said there are good young bands in aberdeen right now, and i only asked were you basing your opinion only on this site, i dont know how many gigs you go to or anything so please lets calm down before this all kicks off.

No i dont think my fav local bands should be playing anything and no i dont go to gigs everynight, i have no idea why you think that.

Again why are you trying to take the piss by saying you dont like kenetic or the welles, i never said you had to like them or anything just pointed out that they were good young aberdeen bands imo.

Im going to stop now cause i can just see another 15 agressive posts like your own for no good reason appearing soon.

Guest onlynik
wow........

I was never meaning to have a go or anything i just said there are good young bands in aberdeen right now' date=' and i only asked were you basing your opinion only on this site, i dont know how many gigs you go to or anything so please lets calm down before this all kicks off.

No i dont think my fav local bands should be playing anything and no i dont go to gigs everynight, i have no idea why you think that.

Again why are you trying to take the piss by saying you dont like kenetic or the welles, i never said you had to like them or anything just pointed out that they were good young aberdeen bands imo.

Im going to stop now cause i can just see another 15 agressive posts like your own for no good reason appearing soon.[/quote']

I actually agree with you, believe it or not, i think credit should be given to bands who aer good, but I'd say there were better local bands 4-5 years ago.

Carnie said:

I think it's a good thing that there is a recent surge of kids who want to go to gigs in Aberdeen. At least they are exposing them to the local music scene and encouraging to perhaps make their own band which would hopefully progress as times goes on.

Well said. Every time I go back home I see a band while I'm there. I love The Tunnels and The Moorings, and I remember being in my late teens in Aberdeen over ten years ago and it had nothing like the enthusiasm it seems to have now. That is my personal perception anyway. There's an enthusiasm and an energy and plenty creativity. I remember going to see no end of godawful bands in Drummonds in the early 90s and not one of them impressing me.

I typed up a big response to this but I managed to lose it.

Main point was, Aberdeen (in relation to its size), has an absolutely huge local music scene. Yet, I can't think of a band in recent times who have really 'made it' in the traditional sense of the word (although I'm sure someone will disagree).

There are bands in Aberdeen who understand the way the industry works and who actually try hard to do something about making it as a band and getting noticed (Radio Lucifer, My Minds Weapon and Ten Easy Wishes are some examples off the top of my head). However, most bands have this attitude of - form a band, play a thousand local gigs with all our mates there and a guy from Sony will turn up and offer us a huge deal.

I would love it if a band from Aberdeen really cracked into the big time (even if I thought they were shit), because then it would get Aberdeen noticed as a 'scene' with a lot of good bands (even though there's even more shit ones). Look at what a band like the Arctic Monkeys have done for the scene in Sheffield.

Aberdeen has quite a few really good local bands who have the potential to do really well, and an absolute abundance of awful samey dull bands who play the same venues every week to all their mates and it makes the whole 'scene' look like a joke, when infact there are good bands trying really hard to do well.

I typed up a big response to this but I managed to lose it.

Main point was' date=' Aberdeen (in relation to its size), has an absolutely huge local music scene. Yet, I can't think of a band in recent times who have really 'made it' in the traditional sense of the word (although I'm sure someone will disagree).

There are bands in Aberdeen who understand the way the industry works and who actually try hard to do something about making it as a band and getting noticed (Radio Lucifer, My Minds Weapon and Ten Easy Wishes are some examples off the top of my head). [b']However, most bands have this attitude of - form a band, play a thousand local gigs with all our mates there and a guy from Sony will turn up and offer us a huge deal.

I would love it if a band from Aberdeen really cracked into the big time (even if I thought they were shit), because then it would get Aberdeen noticed as a 'scene' with a lot of good bands (even though there's even more shit ones). Look at what a band like the Arctic Monkeys have done for the scene in Sheffield.

Aberdeen has quite a few really good local bands who have the potential to do really well, and an absolute abundance of awful samey dull bands who play the same venues every week to all their mates and it makes the whole 'scene' look like a joke, when infact there are good bands trying really hard to do well.

Its horrible isn't it?