aberdeen-music

Festival Memories

psydoll

Best

1. Seeing Slayer from the front row and not coming back from it in a body bag...

2. Getting to the front row for Metallica, Megadeth, Slipknot, Machine Head, In Flames, Chimaira, Lamb Of God, Anthrax, Killswitch Engage, Mudvayne, Black Sabbath, Trivium and Napalm Death (combination of Download '04 and '05) and not being killed.

3. Buying a tent's worth of beer and getting hammered and proceeding to mosh with a complete stranger to ''Pantera - Walk'' on his CD player, then to mosh infront of a merry-go-round which was blasting 'Master Of Puppets'.

:up:

Worst

1. Getting trampled at Napalm Death by about 20 folk immediately after being smacked in the face approximately 3 seconds into their set.

2. Running out of beer and having no more money to purchase more :down:

3. Missing Meshuggah, American Head Charge and Raging Speedhorn

Seeing The Beta Band at sunset at T In The Park 2002, then having to miss the rest of their set to go and see Sonic Youth. Queuing to take a dump and hoping the guy in front of you at least had decent aim. Having awful hayfever while watching the Dandy Warhols at 11 in the morning. Sitting with various friends and being accosted by half-dead neds cradling Irn Bru bottles filled with vodka. Watching a half-arsed Ian Brown in a sweltering tent and missing the Chemical brothers to do so. Seeing friends i hadn't seen in ages randomly, arranging to meet them at some obscure place and then forgetting all about it. Listening to folks pull the campsite to pieces as you drop off to sleep.Wishing i'd seen Dot Allison instead of Biffy Clyro. Skiving off my crap job for two days then coming in on the Monday with a suntan and no convenient excuse. I had a great time needless to say. Slightly surreal and totally disorganized, but that was always the general idea.

Best has to be the Witnness festival in Dublin in 2000 I think it was. Saw the white stripes in one of the new band tents, the place was half empty and they were brilliant - about a month or 2 later nme put them on the cover for the first time and everything kicked off!

Worst has to be the same festival when I lost my mate's custom made oakley's whilst watching paul weller - turned into a bit of an expensive weekend!

I was at the Leeds festivel with Chris and Dave Officer, If I remember right, 3-4 years ago. It was excellent, then the last night came and before we knew it, buildings had been set on fire, including the port loo's which then exploded. The fire brigade came but were driven off by the crowds of drunken ppl. Next thing we knew 4 police vans arrrived and we were met by riot police in full get up. I honestly thought we were going to get batton charged at one point.

What also amused me was that a police helicopter was above the site most of the night which its powerful spot light on the site. SO what did some ppl sart doing...??? Trying to have a light saber dual with it, with there torches...lol..that was some festival!

nirvana at reading (93?-94?)

butthole surfers (reading 92?)

tool Reading (92)

having to take a piss in a bottle before nirvana, and I filled (and some) a litre bottle...and I had to find another one...quickly... ho ho

the mud

the 10+ hour journey on the way back in a 1.1 nova with 4 other people....stinking and knackered.

I've only been to T in the Park 2005, but there's enough material for a best/worst post:

Best?

-Being right at the front for Interpol and Editors and being left feeling, I quote, "warm and fuzzy inside"

-Sons & Daughters and ensuant burst eardrums

-Futureheads-based fun

-A superb effort from Echo & the Bunnymen

-Laxton's Superb and I punching, kicking and assailing Zippy with beer cans, with no affect to his state of happiness

-Allowing my fascist side to show itself to Steve Temple throughout the construction of our tent

-Seeing drunken neds/bams divebomb into innocent tents

-The beautiful weather

-Aviator-based nonsense

Worst?

-Having a stetson thrown in my eye during QOTSA

-Audioslave

-Seeing my foot on the TV coverage of an Eagles of Death Metal tune. The shame!

-Having a half-eaten steak & kidney pie reside on our tent for the duration of the festival, outwith our knowledge

-Having to hear the effects of the domestic violence dished out by the "Begbie" in the tent nearby

-Having the same fat girl appearing in the background of all my photos

-Missing the Faint (although the Departure were good)

-Lack of do-able girls

We'll all be there this year...

Guest bluesxman

Sadly all my memories are only from TITP over the years -

Best Moments

Iggy Pop, main stage, 1999 or 2000.

Death In Vegas in dance tent, 1999 or 2000.

QotSA, main stage, 2005.

Interpol, main stage, 2005.

Alabama 3 in a tent in about 1997, was pissing rain that year anyway, I know that.

Regular Fries in a tent, 1999.

Joe Strummer, main stage 1999.

Scott 4 in tent, see above.

Radiohead, main stage, 1996(?).

Rage Against The Machine, main stage, 1994.

House Of Pain, 1994

Primal Scream, main stage, 1994, pissing rain and all.

Afghan Whigs 1996(?)

Oasis 1994 in a tent, before they took off. Well aimed bog roll from the crowd heading straight for Liam's coupon, ducked out the way at last minute.

Finding out that Edinburgh ska band Bombskare were headlining new talent tent in 1999 or 2000, I forget which, used to go and see them all the time in Edinburgh when I lived there. Hoisted a Seig Heiling skinhead f**kwit over the barrier, while security were getting rid of him, invaded stage and skanked about for last few songs. Was very pissed.

Worst Moments

Most of time in campsite 2005 due to presence of undesirable weegie minks whose numbers increased daily as if actually a humanoid rabbit colony and of which only about 2 appeared to have tickets for the festival, the remainder just hung about the festival site.

Trying to get into festival from campsite on day 1 2005 so missing several bands.

Death In Vegas and Iggy Pop playing same year, same day but Iggy never put in a show for Death In Vegas on Aisha.

Best

1. Rage against the Machine at Leeds

2. Lying on the grass watching Rival Schools at TITP

3.0 Watching in awe as a strange tornado type thing ripped through TITP

3.1 Dancing Like a tool to Feeling so Real by Moby

3.2 Laughing at my friend who had his shoes stolen (we still laugh)

3.3 My first Biffy experience in a King Tuts Tent (2000?)

Worst

1. Flooded tent at TITP 2000

2. Toilets in same year

3. All the Oasis rubbish heads whatever year they played

I was at the Leeds festivel with Chris and Dave Officer' date=' If I remember right, 3-4 years ago. [/quote']

6 years ago! leeds 2000, the first year of the riots.

The smell of burning portaloos will stay with me forever.

My favourite memory of that festival was sitting reading a book in my tent while a massive lightning storm pissed on everyone who was foolish enough to watch Placebo.

6 years ago! leeds 2000' date=' the first year of the riots.

The smell of burning portaloos will stay with me forever.

My favourite memory of that festival was sitting reading a book in my tent while a massive lightning storm pissed on everyone who was foolish enough to watch Placebo.[/quote']

God 6 years ago!...

Yes I was one of those foolish ones....

I stayed in my tent when oasis played. What a good line up that year was...

Limp Bizkit (when they were good), Foo's, Rage against the machine, Slipknot, Idlewild, greenday, soulwax, Amen, queens of the stone age...so many

glastonbury - remember meeting an old christ like figure who had walked 100 miles to get to the festival with a 30 foot crucifix on wheels.

glastonbury - watching a police landrover pull up beside me, the back door then opens and two spar carrier bags full of empty beer cans gets booted out by what looked like a size 10 dm boot.

glastonbury - when the festival erupted into a riot - not a pretty sight.

stonhenge - being chased through fields by robots in riot gear - think that was the year after the ''battle of the beanfield''.

Best:

Foos @ Oxegen '05

Metallica @ Dublin RDS '03

Wilt @ Witnness '02

Jacques Lu Cont @ Oxegen '05

Black Strobe @ Oxegen '05

Maximo Park @ Oxegen '05

Green Day at Witnness '02

Franz at Oxegen '04

The Strokes at Oxegen '04

Getting 200 free Rum and Coke vouchers for the Bacardi Bar off some guy who I went to school with at Oxegen '05

Seeing some asshole who kept me awake all night on the final night of Oxegen drink a bottle of my piss as we packed up to leave

Worst

A 7 mile walk to the site followed by the pissing rain and mud at Witnness '02

A 4 hour bus journey for a 10 mile distance in 33 degree heat with windows that didn't open and a stupid bint beside me who complained about the heat the WHOLE FUCKING WAY

But its all worth it....anyone else heading to oxegen this year? gonna be fuckin awesome.

Mike

Watching Pantera at Donington 94.

Standing at the front of the stage with 2 beers in my hands at Donington 96, Fear Factory walked on, my beer went flying as thousands of people went crazy.

Meeting Pete Steele who invited me to sit on his knee.

Going home and watching the Highlights of Donington 96 and seeing myself when Korn were playing.

Guest Frieda

The Best....

TITP 2003 (?)

Finding a stall called 'Bedlam' and posing for photos with my sister (its a funny word)

Dancing to Air with my sister so cameras would film us, then realising they would never play Air on the TV highlights would they....

Arriving when The Parkinsons were on and everyone booing them while the singer climbed a stage ladder and throwed stuff at the audience

Watching Biffy amongst a group of shaggy-haired massive guys who looked mental but werent

Jumping about to the Hives and my sister staring angrily at me (she was going through her angsty period at the time hahaha)

TITP (2005) when it was lovely weather....

Arriving when DFA1979 were on - alriight...

The cool-guys-infront-of-me-during-Maximo-Park's cool dancing and the fact one of them looked like Mani from Stone Roses with a straw hat

Prancing around the NME signing tent with my Mam during Athlete (we WERE taking the piss, dont turn away in disgust) only to realise Simon from Biffy Clyro sitting behind the fence laughing at us

When Futureheads played Stupid and Shallow and the whole crowd participation thing with Hounds of Love - great stuff

When someone hot danced with me during Interpol then proceeded to try and ask me back to his tent while I told him I had to meet my mam hahahaha yass!! (I didnt go)

The Shaun Ryder look-alike massaging my Mams shoulders until I told him I was her daughter - hahahaha

Seeing Johnny Borrell, following him to Ian Brown and forgetting who I was stalking because I was so happy Stone Roses were playing

Sons and Daughters, Bloc Party etc, etc....

Gig on the Green 2004 (?)

Meeting Dick Valentine - wayhey!

Discussing how cool PJ Harvey was, whilst my friend tried not to mention how he loved the shortness of her skirt

Sitting on the grass listening to RHCP whilst having a chat with my sister as it got dark

The Worst....

GOTG

Getting my foot stood on by a massive guy so I had to jump about on one leg

TITP

Beverly Knight and Joss Stone (Fit the crap?)

James Browns no-show-thing - waiting for ages then giving up just as he comes out. That was a real downer...

Greenday singing the same stuff (basically) they sang two years before and the whole Lulu thing. AND the fact Billie-Joe was obsessed with reminding us where we were - "SCOTLAND!!!" and the whole 'woooaaaoo's for hte audience to repeat...*shudder*

Nothing that bad really. All good experiences! Lovely :up:

As that time of year approaches once more and thanks to an MSN conversation I'm reminded of the joys of music festivals so I thought I'd start a thread where everyone shares both their best and worst festival memories.

Go!

what are your festival memories adam?