aberdeen-music

Help! Old Marshall with a problem.

Beefy

I wonder if anyone can help?

I have a 1972 Marshall Artiste 2X12 combo and when it is on form it is an amazing amp. About a year ago it developed a problem that after about 40 mins playing the bottom end just starts to dissapear. I replaced all the tubes but the problem continued and kinda forgotten about. Since plans to start playing again are afoot I need to get it working. Cleaned all switches pots etc but problem persists.

Anyone got any ideas before taking it to Bruce Millers and forking out a fortune before anyone will even take the dust cover off it?

Cheers!

Guest lime ruined my life
I wonder if anyone can help?

I have a 1972 Marshall Artiste 2X12 combo and when it is on form it is an amazing amp. About a year ago it developed a problem that after about 40 mins playing the bottom end just starts to dissapear. I replaced all the tubes but the problem continued and kinda forgotten about. Since plans to start playing again are afoot I need to get it working. Cleaned all switches pots etc but problem persists.

Anyone got any ideas before taking it to Bruce Millers and forking out a fortune before anyone will even take the dust cover off it?

Cheers!

A capacitors gone bad by the sound of it. As the cap heats up the dielectric breaks down. Some of those caps can contain a lot of voltage even after being left off a while. Make sure you discharge them and know exactly what you're doing before tinkering.

It doesn't sound like it would be too hard to isolate the problem. Bruce millars "might" be able to fix it, but their service is almost notorious around these boards for being terrible when it comes to amp repairs. They also charge a fortune, and considering all that needs done is a replaced capacitor (possibly), it seems a shame to spend in excess of £100, especially when you consider they'll charge whether they manage to fix it or not.

The difficulty comes when you consider posting it to someone better, it might end up costing the same price, and you have the added inconvenience of posting it.

There's a tv repair man somewhere near aberdeen i know some people have used, other than that, i think the only people i'd trust is matamp, who may or may not service/repair amps, although they did service and test mine before i got it.

You may also be able to get a repair from marshall, could be free with a warranty? it's worth sending an email.

It doesn't sound like it would be too hard to isolate the problem. Bruce millars "might" be able to fix it' date=' but their service is almost notorious around these boards for being terrible when it comes to amp repairs. They also charge a fortune, and considering all that needs done is a replaced capacitor (possibly), it seems a shame to spend in excess of 100, especially when you consider they'll charge whether they manage to fix it or not.

[/quote']

You won't pay more than 100 pounds for that at Millers, i would reserve a guess at more like 60 to 70 max.

I got it from Ally who used to be in The Last Divide many moons ago. As far as I know before that it was Steve's (from R+B). there was some talk of rory gallagher having owned it at one point but have no idea if that is true or not. It is too good nick for that to be true i reckon.

Filter caps have gone' date=' I'd concur.[/quote']

id agree that they are probably the first thing to check, especially if theyr the originals from the 70's, but the symptoms dont seem to suggest filter caps, although if theyv never been changed, its probably time to change anyway. Might be worth opening the chasis up and seeing if you can see any caps/reistors that look charged or blackened, if you find some they will be the failing components as the amp heats up.

Hi again gentlemen,

Been off digging about and got on to great forum.

The problem seems to be the capacitors, they are the originals and need to be replaced. I have heard that marshall actually courier your amp up and down and you only pay the repair costs! Am off to email them, Will let you know how I get on. As I am on a very strict budget due to 3rd child about to appear in may (3 girls, I think I will set up home in my Vdub campervan!!) i think i will have a go myself. The only dangerous bit is discharging the caps but I have instruction on that too, (fingers crossed). Anyone know if there is anywhere local i can get a hold of such things? I presume maplin would be first call.

Forum is www.metroamp.com/forum/index.php

Very friendly people with lots of interest in all things amps, not just the classic brands

Cheers once again guys, much appreciated.

Anyone out there heard anything about the new peavey valveking head? Read a great review of the combo.