aberdeen-music

How many have to die?

GraemeC

which is why I reserve more of my hatred for the people who peddle this sort of filth than those who are addicted. Some addicts are scum' date=' we all know that. Some need to be helped. There isn't a one-size fits all solution.

I agree with your point above. Grampian has the highest number of babies born with a drug addiction in the whole of Scotland.

having read your profile, it is clear we knew each other a while back as your brother was in my training squad at Aberdeen AAC.[/quote']

grr Aberdeen is too small.

I've just got a beef against junkies who turn to crime. People with 50 previous convictions you think people would get the hint that some people cannot be helped. Thats my argument i guess!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you take away the drugs' date=' would people with no motivation still turn to crime, them with motivation like 'normal' people get on with thier lives and do the 9 to 5 thing.

I think crime and drugs go hand in hand and not drugs and crime. if you see what i mean.

Crime leads to drugs , drugs does not necessarily lead to crime.[/quote']

You got the wrong end of the stick there bud, Good point though. I was meaning that people turn to drugs because it makes them feel better and once you are a junkie it's the only thing that can make you feel better. I was trying to say, that in order for someone to be motivated enough to give the shit up, they need something to look forward to, otherwise thay have nothing to work toward and thay will relapse. There aint nothing in prison to motivate anyone.

It all boils down to motivation. In prison there is no real hope until you're free again and a junkie needs a little hope for the future in order to kick the habit. Once a junkie want's top give up - it isn't as hard as you would think. Thats what they need - something to look forward to and a bit of love and compassion (call me a hippy if you like but you know I'm talking sense)

But why should we (the majority) provide "hope for the future" for a junkie who, sad as it may be, chose the slippery road to addiction with no encouragement from me?

There have been many points in my life where I would have liked some "hope for the future" what you get out of life relates directly to how much you put in.....if all some people are prepared to do is take, the givers will soon tire of it.

But why should we (the majority) provide "hope for the future" for a junkie who' date=' sad as it may be, chose the slippery road to addiction with no encouragement from me?

There have been many points in my life where I would have liked some "hope for the future" what you get out of life relates directly to how much you put in.....if all some people are prepared to do is take, the givers will soon tire of it.[/quote']

I agree with helping those who want to be helped. If you dont want to be helped - may you reap what you sow. i don't believe in flogging a dead horse...

I cant get my head round the process of getting hooked on smack, there are so many stages where someone with even half a brain should be saying whoa up....this is just silly.

But I still cant get my head round people who start smoking....." here, have a suck on this, it'll taste fuckin horrible and it WILL kill you if you get hooked, and you'll have to keep it a secret from your parents till yer 35, it'll cost you the price of a Ferrari in a lifetime of smoking, you'll smell really bad and look like a twat, oh and most people will treat you like a leper" and some people respond by saying "ok givs a lungful" wow....!!

I would guess most drug users are smokers....

come on it is the deprived areas that have the most problems if you can't see the conection then im sorry you need to open your eyes a little more!

Well I can see why people would think that, but isn't it the case that middle class and rich junkies don't have to rob or beg to feed their habit, and when it does affect them enough to want to give up they aint forced to stand in line at the village chemist?

probably leads to use of harder drugs?..

Steady..... I believe that some people have an addictive nature.....but I dont believe that fags lead to smack.

I believe that the upturn in numbers of young people smoking tobacco is related to the numbers who smoke dope though, which I believe might lead to harder drugs.

I agree with GreameC, methadone is a more addictive drug than heroin, so why would you give it to someone who is already addicted to a drug? Let alone give it to them to use in there houses.

I wouldnt trust a junkie with a used catheter, nevermind a drug as strong as methadone.

Why would you want to help a junkie anyway?

Senario......If you (im assuming people here have morals) seen another human being, or even animal for that matter, lying injured in the street, would you not try your best to do everything in your power to help?

Now if a junkie saw YOU lying in that possition, would thet see it as a chance to help or as a chance to steal your wallet/other belongings and get some free shit to flog?

(yes there are many people who would do the 'wrong' thing who are not junkies/drug addicts but thats not the point of this thread)

Interesting thread.

The relationship between drug abuse and poverty is multifactorial. Drug addiction leads to poverty in some cases, and in some cases poverty leads to drug addiction. In areas of social deprivation drugs are more widely available. Dealers are unscruprilous(?sp), and will offer free samples to get you hooked. Once hooked you are on the way down. Those with money can afford drugs, and once hooked their life revolves around the pursuit of them rather than family and career.

Some resort to crime to fund their addiction. How else is someone with a 500 a day habit going to fund it? They sure as hell won't be working.

Rehab is available to those that want it. You can't force it on anybody because if you do it simply doesn't work. Corny yeah, but thye have to want to change.

Methadone is not ideal. Yes it's addictive, and yes it's dangerous in overdose. It's also useful for those with sufficient motivation as a way of reducing the harm assosciated with IV drug abuse - eg HIV/HepC/HepB etc.

There is a certain amount of choice in using drugs in the first place, but there are personality and biological factors assosciated with why people become dependant on drugs.

roll on march 26th...

could you argue that smoking is the wosrt drug as it is legalised and probably leads to use of harder drugs?..

Try looking-up the overall stats on alcohol' date=' its primary & secondary casualties & its overall cost to society.

It knocks [b']all other drugs into the proverbial cocked-hat!

Try looking-up the overall stats on alcohol' date=' its primary & secondary casualties & its overall cost to society.

It knocks [b']all other drugs into the proverbial cocked-hat!

I can't really see an alcholholic burgling your house or jabbing you with a needle to get your new trainers. More likely to sing songs at you. But I'm sure it does have a severity of consequences as you mentioned.

How on earth junkies can be deemed fit parents is unbelieveble. Maybe at that young an age foster homes may be ideal for a period.

Why?

I used to work with troubled kids & yes' date=' an unsurprisingly high proportion were from households where various forms of addiction were a fact of life. That in itself didn't make the parents unfit, there were often a whole slew of other factors to contend with, sometimes quite unrelated. I will agree that addiction made [b']some utterly unfit tho.

Equally, the care system itself isn't that good at turning out educated & well rounded young individuals. Indeed, a disproportionate number of them will end-up in the addiction/mental-illness/social-isolation/crime cycle themselves.

I can't really see an alcholholic burgling your house or jabbing you with a needle to get your new trainers. More likely to sing songs at you. But I'm sure it does have a severity of consequences as you mentioned.

Alcohol is a recognised contributory factor to something like 20% of all violent crime BTW.

Methadone is not ideal. Yes it's addictive' date=' and yes it's dangerous in overdose. [/quote']

I have to pull you up on that one.....

Methadone is deadly in very small amounts to anyone who doesn't have a tolerance to opiates.....My boy died after taking no more than the usual dose prescribed to junkies.

Methadone should have tighter controls, which was the point of this thread.

Guest Neubeatz
I have to pull you up on that one.....

Methadone is deadly in very small amounts to anyone who doesn't have a tolerance to opiates.....My boy died after taking no more than the usual dose prescribed to junkies.

Methadone should have tighter controls' date=' which was the point of this thread.[/quote']

I'm sorry Graeme. :(

There is reason enough to have very strong feelings on the subject.