aberdeen-music

I picket the line *ho ho ho*

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DustyDeviada
in total' date=' i saw about 12 hippies outside university. 6 at one king street entrance, 6 at the other. it was a bit pathetic really.

verdict:needs to try harder![/quote']

Did you cross the picket line?

SCAB!

My university in Paris has been on strike since last Monday, resulting in missing classes on Monday and Saturday, going through picket lines to get to class last Tuesday, and all classes cancelled today. The students are striking against the CPE which basically takes away all under 26's rights in their first job. Today its meant to be a big strike, with trade unions involved, but it seems to have fallen a bit flatter than hoped.

Whats mad though is that in France, there is a whole lot of legal protection for those on strike and none for those who want to work; only foreign students who pay more than the usual costs have had classes for the past week, so even though the lecturers want to teach and the students want to learn, the strikers win. Its a bit mad really! I sympathise with the cause, but striking really isn't the way forward, especially because the law's pretty much been passed:rolleyes:

Still, strikes in Aberdeen...you don't see that every day...even if they are a little short of protestors.

Half the lecturers at RGU are striking' date=' the rest are with a different union and working as normal.[/quote']

I tried to call for some information today to save me getting two buses in the snow to find a picket line and cancelled classes and I spent about 15 minutes being put through to every voicemail message in the entire University.

Dont be stupid' date=' a fair days pay for a fair days work is everyones right.[/quote']

Yeah but most folk dont get it - striking is shit. same as the firefighters. do a better job and you'll be rewarded.

like i said - it's a vocation. you don't go to be a teacher cos it's well paid. you do it for the job satisfaction and the holidays.

now get he fuck off the internet and back to uni u scab.

Guest tv tanned
Yeah but most folk dont get it - striking is shit. same as the firefighters. do a better job and you'll be rewarded.

like i said - it's a vocation. you don't go to be a teacher cos it's well paid. you do it for the job satisfaction and the holidays.

Your empathy for your fellow man is touching...

University teachers are different from school teachers, they work a normal year like everyone else. As for job satisfaction, does that mean it's okay to pay everyone less who enjoys their job?

And as Uni pay stands at the moment, do a better job and you still get paid shite.

No' date=' it means that people don't go into teaching looking to make their millions. They go into it to make a difference to peoples lives.

Most people are in the same boat - deal with it. Striking is poor way of attempting to get your own way.[/quote']

What, most people are prepared to sit back and accept that the work they do is undervalued?

Spoken like a true facist.....

How many people if you asked them would say - yes i deserve more?....

Not a case of sitting back and accepting it but proving you are worth more - by working hard not striking. If they weren't getting paid enough why did they take the job?

Do you read the papers....the whole point is they used to get a fair wage and havnt had a decent increase in many years.....

Would you work for peanuts? ooops, you probably do!!

I can picture negotiations now:

union: "if you don't meet our pay demands we'll work better and harder than we've ever done"

employer: "you wouldn't dare"

union: "watch us!"

employer sits back, counts their profits and gives the employees fuck all. Then they'll probably fire them when their productivity falls back to normal.

And from what I hear about Aberdeen University they are just the right amount of evil to do that.

Industrial action (strikes, work to rule etc) is a last resort. It's for when the talks between the employer and the workers fail and the workers believe they are not being paid what they are worth. What else can they do? The only leverage they have over the employer is their work, while the employer can cut benefits, remove perks (a friend of mine who works for a helicopter firm had their TV removed from the break room amongst other perks that got fucked with), withhold pay and just out and out sack people.

the right to protest and strike is one that should be treasured not mocked. working in retail i am particularly envious of those unionised industrys who get to stand up for themselves through union activities and yes it's been abused but not nearly as much as employers abuse their employees.

the company i work for says we have the right to join a union but in the same sentence says they don't recognise any uk trade unions.

hard work does not lead to fair pay, life isn't that simple.

yes cause everyone who protests or takes strike action is a 'hippy'. get a grip.

did i miss a meeting where we moved time back to the 60's and punk never happened? since when did standing up for yourself mean you were a hippy?

i'm a hippie myself.