aberdeen-music

What did you want to be when you were older?

cutie claire

Guest tv tanned

frankly, if any of my friends told me that, on the basis of me owning a car before the age of 20 or getting a mortgage, that they no longer wanted to be my friend. I would say good riddance to them.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always wanted to be a singer but my dad always use to put me off saying that no singers came from a small time place like peterhead. Hopefully proved him wrong now im just starting in a band. Dont really think i wanted to do anything obscure to be honest. just the usual girlie fancies lol

Mel? I presume she'll want to make some cash off her flat when she's not using it to cover her mortage costs whilst she's not there. It's perfectly logical... some people need to rent or only plan to stay in a place for shorter periods of time (a year maybe less) and in such situations a mortage isn't always ideal so renting makes sense... and in the same situation as Mel will be in I'd certainly be doing the same.

Now you're arguing in favour of renting....make your mind up...

Now you're arguing in favour of renting....make your mind up...

i think what keilan meant was:

if she was so against renting and has now bought and intends to gain income by renting - what would happen if everyone shared her views on not renting - she would have no income.

comprende?! :D

frankly' date=' if any of my friends told me that, on the basis of me owning a car before the age of 20 or getting a mortgage, that they no longer wanted to be my friend. I would say good riddance to them.[/quote']

Happily, none of my friends are like you, else they wouldn't be my friends in the first place.

And Lester, I know further education's not for everyone. God knows, I'm finding out I'm not cut-out for academia. But I think spending 4 years scraping through a degree by whatever means is still the best option, otherwise I wouldn't be doing it myself. It's the best because it delays working and it means you don't have to consider "the future", security, a career, the cost of living, a home and all the adult things you've got your mind on, at least for a few years yet, before we settle into the safe, bourgeois mediocrity that will characterise most of the rest of our lives. That's not to mention the insight it gives you into art, literature and film (in my case) - ie, the stuff that makes life worth living.

before we settle into the safe' date=' bourgeois mediocrity that will characterise most of the rest of our lives..[/quote']

speak for yourself mate - my love my life and woulnd't change it for anything!. NO wonder you're such a doom merchant if you think the rest of your life is going to be modiocre.

End it now and spare us looking after you on the dole in the future.

ahhh, doom and gloom. to rent or not to rent... i rent from my boyfriend.. is that wrong? i make him spend all his money on me though, so i'm probably getting the better deal..

more on the topic... i wanted to be a spy, because then you would get to pretend to be all sorts of things. also a mad inventor... or a teacher. or an artist. or a writer.. or a singer... or an assassin. or president of the USA. (hey, i'm a citizen, it was a feasible dream)...

meh, i'm fickle.

ahhh' date=' doom and gloom. to rent or not to rent... i rent from my boyfriend.. is that wrong? i make him spend all his money on me though, so i'm probably getting the better deal..

more on the topic... i wanted to be a spy, because then you would get to pretend to be all sorts of things. also a mad inventor... or a teacher. or an artist. or a writer.. or a singer... or an assassin. or president of the USA. (hey, i'm a citizen, it was a feasible dream)...

meh, i'm fickle.[/quote']

Oh wow jif penut butter, havent had that in years

The cost of living? Where exactly do you live? To my knowledge being a student still doesn't exclude you from those things called rent/mortage' date=' food, electricity and gas bills and you're only excluded from council tax... unless you still live at home?[/quote']

Of course he does.

In Westhill.

Say no more Sharon, say no more.

I find it impossible to take someone seriously who talks about "the bourgeois" while still living in a comfortable middle class existence, personally. The Manics were/are hard enough to take seriously on the subject and they came from a shithole in Wales, so nope..sorry, doesn't make sense to me.

Guest bluesxman
You're the same age as me and most of my friends' date=' and if any of them were even considering things such as getting a car and a mortgage, then they wouldn't be my friends any more. It's nothing personal, but I find that kind of career-orientated, long-term, bourgeois thinking to be repugant, especially in a young (and supposedly counter-culture?) person.

It's a fair point that most people are finishing degrees at that age, but unless they've taken a vocational course which will see them progress immediately from uni to workplace, then there's no reason why they should have an idea of what they want to do. The best argument for a university education is that it delays what Jake calls the necessary evil of work, but it should also enhance your ability to appreciate the world around you[/quote']

Getting cars and mortgages is not necessarily to do with long term career orientations, some people like to find a sense of independence and fending for themselves rather than live off Mummy and Daddy while wasting money going to university for the express purpose of delaying having to support themselves.

A mortgage is a big burden but if you can afford to get one it makes much more sense than lining the pockets of someone who can afford one and is renting their property out. Living at home with the parents is the safest option out there and doesn't make you at all radical i'm afraid. But then again the next step for many taking that option will probably be moving into a flat or house that Mummy and Daddy paid for, that to me is a pathetic path to take, certainly not some evidence of being part of any 'counter-culture'....although there will be many out there who have to live with their parents out of sheer necessity and are actively looking to find their own feet and I do not intend this as a slur on them.

Guest bluesxman
The Manics were/are hard enough to take seriously on the subject and they came from a shithole in Wales' date=' so nope..sorry, doesn't make sense to me.[/quote']

The Manics claimed they would split up after their first album. How many are they on now? Each one has descended further into mediocrity since they became part of the British rock establishment with Everything Must Go. Go figure.

Guest bluesxman
Also' date=' as Bluesxmas said, a lot of people go after things like cars and mortages for the feeling of independance... I know if I got a car that it wouldn't be particularly flash but it would get me around (the aberdeen bus services are vile) with ease.

[/quote']

When I was in my late teens it seemed everyone wanted their own car. My first car was a pretty rickety Ford Fiesta and I have never owned anything expensive or flashy in the scheme of things, to me it serves a purpose of easy transportation to work and not having to rely on the dire excuse for a public transportation system we have to endure in this country. Working in the oil industry, where many are seduced by the high offshore wages into purchasing small dick compensation vehicles, my choices of car have often been the source of some derision but I merely chuckled inside when hearing them complain about having to pay extortionate servicing, component and tyre costs....and I can spend all my cash on musical items instead, much more satisfying for me personally.

You appear (from the above post) to only be at university to avoid the reality of growing up and entering "the real world" in which case

That's exactly what I'm doing. So many people want to grow-up too soon: going to pubs and clubs at 15, learning to drive as soon as they're 17, deciding what they're gonna "be" before they've left school...All being well, I've over 50 years to be an adult, so forgive me if I cling to pre-adulthood a little bit longer.

But, you say your parents booted you out, so I guess you had no option, and you've done well for yourself. I'd like to think ,in such a situation, I'd have taken to busking on the cobbled streets of Old Europe, but...I'm just a dreamer. Which makes the point as to who is more radical a moot one, as it's a state of mind. The alternative to bourgeois life is bohemian life, but since we don't have a Latin Quarter and crumbling mansions waiting to be squatted in, this is impossible. So my approach is summed up thus:

"He said "you want to turn it on its head by staying in bed", I said "I know I do"

That's exactly what I'm doing. So many people want to grow-up too soon: going to pubs and clubs at 15' date=' learning to drive as soon as they're 17, deciding what they're gonna "be" before they've left school...All being well, I've over 50 years to be an adult, so forgive me if I cling to pre-adulthood a little bit longer.

But, you say your parents booted you out, so I guess you had no option, and you've done well for yourself. I'd like to think ,in such a situation, I'd have taken to busking on the cobbled streets of Old Europe, but...I'm just a dreamer. Which makes the point as to who is more radical a moot one, as it's a state of mind. The alternative to bourgeois life is bohemian life, but since we don't have a Latin Quarter and crumbling mansions waiting to be squatted in, this is impossible. So my approach is summed up thus:

"He said "you want to turn it on its head by staying in bed", I said "I know I do"[/quote']

sounds to me like you were born in the wrong decade. You'd rather be a squatting hippy than drive a car.

But in contrast to your statement of clinging to pre-adulthood you have followed the sheep to University..?

Dunno man, i was always in bars at the age of 15 but thats cos most my mates were older, I didn't really see it as wanting to grow up too quick. The folks I went to school with weren't really the sort of people I wanted to hang out with (their spare time activities such as fighting, stealing cars, shoplifting and arson wasn't very appealing) I also always wanted to drive so I could get a van and drive the band everywhere, pref as far away from Aberdeen as possible. Being on the road at the age of 15/16 in the band, I then planned that that was what I would always be doing...making enough money for the next days travel and beer :) Thats the problem with planning things though....