aberdeen-music

The Cramps 1991 Music Hall Aberdeen

Biz

Cramps1991.JPG

I found this in tonights Evening Express.

The guy with the red hair leaning on the stage is Mike Baird- formerly the drummer with Union Avenue, who had a record of the week on Radio 1s Mark and Lard show with their Johnny Cash style cover of Motorhead,I am standing next to Mike,Lux climbed on top of the speaker stack in front of us like a big spider and gobbled the microphone whilst his breeks slipped further down as the gig went on displaying his pubes.

Their big fat roadie ran about the entire gig sweating profusely and taking orders from the band for drinks,re setting up mike stands etc,it was a hoot and Poison Ivys arse was well peachy.

Guest bluesxman

The head directly in front of Lux's right foot is me when I had loads of hair! I used to have that cutting from the paper but i've lost it. Great gig.....

I would have been just outta the right of the shot directly in front of Poison Ivy............. with my tongue hanging out. Older women with guitars and gold lame bikinis - mmmmm. :love:

Anyone see them when they played the Capitol a few years before? I actually thought that was the better show, although the Music Hall wasn't too shabby. And certainly a total riot of colour and sound and showmanship the likes of which passes through Aberdeen all too infrequently.

Guest bluesxman
You could've nibbled his toes!

Yeah, he was a bit cadaverous looking though! Tried to get his shades off him when they did Sunglasses After Dark but he had none of it. Got a drumstick though....wonder where that is actually?

The Capitol gig happened not long before I discovered them, so glad they came back. People I raved about them to went, I don't think they have ever forgiven me.

That would have been so good' date=' somebody needs to get The Cramps back here.[/quote']

http://www.thecramps.com/ has a tour dates section, although it's currently empty. As far as anyone can tell, though, they seem to be still active, so you never know. Although the last tour I remember coming to the UK (when Fiends of Dope Island was out) only did so for two or three dates around London.

I was only 9 for the most part of 1991, and hadn't heard of the Cramps at that age. Although if I had, I'm sure my dad would have taken me to the show if I'd asked. Maybe.

In fact, I'm pretty sure that it was around that time that he took me and my brother to see Sting, and The Cramps did support The Police in the 70s. So I was pretty much as good as there with Biz in the front row. Sort of.

Guest bluesxman

The Music Hall gig was in support of the 'Look Mom No Head' album, which although it contained a couple of classics, was the start of the decline in album quality overall sadly. I would still go and see them again however....

I have finally tracked down 3 CD volume's of 'Songs The Cramps Taught Us', compilations of original songs the Cramps covered or 'borrowed' from, some of the songs on these CD's are like gold dust...Ebay is so good at times....

I was there, probably just out of shot, although i didnt look too different to what i do now.

It was an incredible thing that they came here and one of the cities most awesome gigs ever. I also saw em play in Birmingham quite a few years before that and Poison Ivy was only wearing transparent baby doll underwear and no pants. I basically just stared at her fanny for the whole set. It was the first fanny (that wasnt in a magazine) Id ever seen (I was only about 13 or something). Ive never been the same since. Lux also vomitted on me. :love: They played The Crusher as the opening tune. RAAAAAAPE!!!! I shat myself. loads of people got kicked in by the LEGION OF THE CRAMPED. Cool. I miss violence at gigs.

Agree they were in decline from an album perspective at the time, but waht a hellish live band......

Come on doon if ye think ye are hard enough

loads of people got kicked in by the LEGION OF THE CRAMPED. Cool. I miss violence at gigs.

Come and see oor SKA band this Thursday in Drummonds,I could duff ye up a bit and steal yer drink if ye want he he he.

http://www.thecramps.com/ has a tour dates section' date=' although it's currently empty. As far as anyone can tell, though, they seem to be still active, so you never know. Although the last tour I remember coming to the UK (when Fiends of Dope Island was out) only did so for two or three dates around London.[/quote']

As far as I can tell they're still active, the fact the website is 'under construction' is a good sign, but it's been like that for awhile. They were still playing live gigs at the end of 2004 but the last date of the tour was cancelled for some reason. I think they're last tour was probably in promotion of 'How to make a monster' but they didn't come to the UK unfortunately. In fact they were playing House of Blues when I was in Florida in 2004, but like 2 days after I was due to leave.

The Music Hall gig was in support of the 'Look Mom No Head' album' date=' which although it contained a couple of classics, was the start of the decline in album quality overall sadly. I would still go and see them again however....[/quote']

Alligator Stomp is definitelly a classic tune in my eyes.

Guest bluesxman
Alligator Stomp is definitelly a classic tune in my eyes.

As is 'Dames, Booze, Chains and Boots', which I seem to recall was a rather storming opener at The Music Hall......

Guest Neubeatz

Once got "let out" of hossie for the weekend coz I persuaded the surgeon that The Cramps would be beneficial to my recovery, but was just too gubbed to go to the gig and crawled back in to the ward on the monday morning for intense (physio)therapy....;) bleh!

Come and see oor SKA band this Thursday in Drummonds' date='I could duff ye up a bit and steal yer drink if ye want he he he.[/quote']

Im out of town on thursday for a vital UEFA cup game, but I dont like SKA anyway unless its played by dead guys from the 60s and was recorded with one microphone. How many genres of bands are you in?