aberdeen-music

Nu - Metal CD

sludge

jeez, where's your fookin' DEFTONES?!?!

a nu-metal compilation ain't no nu-metal compilation if there ain't no My Own Summer (Shove It) on it.

...you can't miss out on some early Incubus either.

and maybe stick on a little Orgy, Skindred and of course OTEP as well. okay?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if Machine Head are metal gods then im the sex god!

get real!

and slipknot are nu-metal to the bone!!!

and nothing is wrong with the genre!

So you're a sex god then? :up:

I'll give you 'Slipknot' and 'Iowa' as nu-metal then. 'Vol. 3' certainly isn't' date=' neither was 'Mate Feed Kill Repeat'.

I'll also let you away with 'Machine Head - Supercharger'. Not the rest of their stuff though.

'Burn My Eyes', 'The More Things Change', 'The Burning Red' and 'Through The Ashes Of Empires' are [b']NOT nu-metal. Fact!

;)

i love machine head... but burning red and the especially terrible supercharger are nu-metal unfortunately.

Bear in mind nu-metal only got a bad name due to so many shit bands in the genre. There were also a few good bands.

I assume Drowning Pool got mentioned, can't get more nu-metal than 'bodies'...

taproot - nu-metal plus a bit of alice in chains style vocals.

and Downer... if anyone remembers them. And also tha band beginning with 'A' who had John Davis from Korn's brother singing from them. Aenima, but not that, but close.

And powerman 5000?

And I'm sorry Mr Angel Of Death, but I seriously suggest that Burning Red is nu-metal...

One finger riffs and robb flynn rapping... lack of solos and guitar harmonies. You get the picture :)

if Machine Head are metal gods then im the sex god!

get real!

Hmmm... I'd say that the fact they released 'Burn my eyes' makes them one of the greatest metal bands there has been!

And also tha band beginning with 'A' who had John Davis from Korn's brother singing from them. Aenima' date=' but not that, but close.

[/quote']

Adema is the band you are looking for.

What makes something nu metal? Going by this thread slipknot, spineshank and hed(pe) are all branded Nu Metal, but I think that they are very different bands. Slipknot are more thrashy, while spineshank are quite industrial sounding, and hed(pe) bring in a more hip hop sound.

Does Nu Metal even exist? What do you guys think?

Adema is the band you are looking for.

What makes something nu metal? Going by this thread slipknot' date=' spineshank and hed(pe) are all branded Nu Metal, but I think that they are very different bands. Slipknot are more thrashy, while spineshank are quite industrial sounding, and hed(pe) bring in a more hip hop sound.

Does Nu Metal even exist? What do you guys think?[/quote']

Adema - thank you!

I wouldn't say Slipknot are thrashy though... i've always thought of them as a pop death metal band, or an extreme nu-metal band. Riffs, and song structure wise it is essentially nu-metal. Spineshank as well, are merely a slightly industrial sounding nu-metal band (same goes for powerman 5000) and Hed(pe) are definitely a nu-metal band - half the point of nu-metal was that it introduced hip-hop/rap into metal! (Korn/limp bizkit/linkin park)

Nu-metal to me refers to bands that came out (roughly) between 1995 and 2000, that had 3 minute pop structured songs, that were relatively simple but sounded heavy because the guitars were tuned down. Rapping was often a part in some of the bands repetoire, and songs were based around a catchy or moshable chorus and the essential middle 8 before the last chorus which had a build up before a nice obvious breakdown in which people could generally jump around like lunatics. Baggy trousers, hoodies and chain wallets were the order of the day as well...

Covering an 80's pop song also happened quite a lot. (orgy/korn/limp bizkit/disturbed etc etc)

If anyone wants any further information consult the rammstein edition of metal hammer in 2002 where I won letter of the month with a "11 steps to forming a nu-metal band" guide. :)

Just because a band became big around the Nu-Metal time doesn't mean their Nu-Metal, Machine Head are thrash full stop! Drowning Pool, Godsmack, and Slipknot were probably playing gigs long before Nu-Metal was even invented!

Nu-Metal is pretty much EMO! And EMO is the biggist pile of shit I've ever seen!!!!!!!

Just because a band became big around the Nu-Metal time doesn't mean their Nu-Metal' date=' Machine Head are thrash full stop! Drowning Pool, Godsmack, and Slipknot were probably playing gigs long before Nu-Metal was even invented!

Nu-Metal is pretty much EMO! And EMO is the biggist pile of shit I've ever seen!!!!!!![/quote']

To be honest I think that is a very silly comment, because you are mistaking the term 'nu-metal' as being simply the derogative term for a style of music that became too popular for it's own good. Just like 'emo', which in certain circles is used as a term for the latest shitty popular fad, rather than what it really actually means (emotional hardcore). Nu-metal wasn't always considered a bad term, up until it become overly popular and lots of shit bands came out of it's popularity.

Same goes for metalcore these days; which is considered a BAD term! Bands like Killswitch Engage and Unearth have totally rejuvinated metal by combining hardcore and metal, and breathing new life into the genre. (although this idea has been done since as far back as '85 - with S.O.D's first album). However like nu-metal and emo before it, 'metalcore' seems to now be just a term for shit popular metal bands.

Drowning Pool, Slipknot and Godsmack weren't playing gigs before nu-metal was invented... they were some of the bands that helped to actually invent it!

And the first proper nu-metal record was possibly Korn's debut album... however I'd argue that Rage Against The Machine were (one of) the first nu-metal band(s).

(Again, DON'T think of it as a bad term - think of it as a style of music that eventually become shit due to many wank bands overkilling it)

Oh, and I would say that Machine Head's 'Burn My Eyes' WAS a thrash record - they just tuned down their guitars and injected a bit of hardcore, and a different lyrical perspective than classic thrash bands. And I'd agree with Medichi that these days they would simply come under the category of 'metal', along-side the likes of metallica and anthrax etc.

And the first proper nu-metal record was possibly Korn's debut album...

True. Why some people think that Max Cavalera is the "godfather" of Nu-metal is beyond me. Roots was a fairly decent album but it was very much a Korn wannabe album i.e. the sudden change in direction from Chaos AD etc.