aberdeen-music

Promoting in Aberdeen:

Ross

point 3, disgraceful. I'm sure the council could come up with some sort of scheme which would pay for itself. Oh, wait a minute, what am I saying.

I think the 65 days of static thread shows point 9 to be an unassailable truth.

There are a few of those relatively pointless advertisng board things the council have something to do with - one outside M&S and one beside Rileys on Chapel Street. Theres a number you can call to get posters put up on them.

Dont know how much it costs and they tend to be ignored i would say.

I dont mind they dont want flyposting but there should def be an alternative.

In general most bakers/newsagents with space, other venues, music shops, cafes etc will allow you to poster but yeah it is difficult for more than a couple of shows.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest idol_wild
This sounds pretty interesting. I'm gonna put on a show at the Peterculter village hall. Who wants a gig?

You should totally do it.

I am considering putting on a show at The Jubilee Hall in Portlethen.

Whoever you book, let me know - we can co-ordinate a tour of Aberdeen suburb town halls for them. :)

Word of warning: ask people who were at the last gig there what happened first.

Having said that, public hall gigs are much more fun: Donnie has a fantastic thing going in Elgin, and I'll probably start something similar down in Laurencekirk when I get moved there next week. Much more exciting and makes a change from toiling in city venues.

:up:

Guest idol_wild
If memory serves (it was a long time ago and I can't find a thread about it, so it maybe even happened pre-site upgrade) I think it involved assaults, fire extinguishers and the police getting involved.

These are all things my gigs are generally lacking.

So I'm game.

Guest treader.
You should totally do it.

Whoever you book, let me know - we can co-ordinate a tour of Aberdeen suburb town halls for them. :)

let me know, and i'll book one of those tour shows in ther Craigiebuckler Parish Church function room.

If memory serves (it was a long time ago and I can't find a thread about it, so it maybe even happened pre-site upgrade) I think it involved assaults, fire extinguishers and the police getting involved.

this would have been around about 2002/2003, and as i recall the ruffians (the shop mob, for anyone who is from portlethen and fancies some nostalgia!) from my year/the year above at portlethen academy yanked toilets and sinks off the walls, beat some people up for being "goths", sprayed fire extinguisher foam everywhere and ruined everyones night.

they might be a bit reluctant to allow gigs there again, although, it was a long time ago. they might do it if you could offer a deposit upfront or something. or if you promise to have a big bulky scary guy at the door sifting out any potential trouble.

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree

Just thought I'd resurrect this thread, as I think (most of it) is quite interesting for the whole "scene" discussion.

Which venues actually allow posters from other venues to be put up in their own venues?

Where's the best place for sticking posters up that people will actually pay attention to?

Hopefully as online advertising goes, the new myspace MySpace.com - Aberdeen Gig Listings - UK - www.myspace.com/aberdeengiglistings will help, and obviously the website we're on just now!

A google search for Aberdeen Gig Listings puts the myspace pretty high up and a search for Gigs in Aberdeen has Aberdeen Music right at the top! I reckon that's a reasonable start - obviously these pages are only as good as the info supplied....

• 3 weeks later...

Which venues actually allow posters from other venues to be put up in their own venues?

Where's the best place for sticking posters up that people will actually pay attention to?

What kind of paper should my poster be printed on?

You seem to be struggling with the extreme fundamentals of gig promotion here...

You're a person. If you think you'd notice a poster somewhere, bloody put it there.

If you want to put a poster up (in a venue or otherwise), ask the owner of the property extremely politely, regardless of whether you've been told it's permitted. They've got to pick your blu-tac off the wall.

Speaking of which, take your own blu-tac. Knock 'em dead champ.

You seem to be struggling with the extreme fundamentals of gig promotion here...

You're a person. If you think you'd notice a poster somewhere, bloody put it there.

If you want to put a poster up (in a venue or otherwise), ask the owner of the property extremely politely, regardless of whether you've been told it's permitted. They've got to pick your blu-tac off the wall.

Speaking of which, take your own blu-tac. Knock 'em dead champ.

Old Gold has a problem with me. Of this I am sure.

Not sure how I've offended you, but give it a break, eh?

I must admit I also thought this was a fairly silly question...o_O

Well, you know, I disagree. I've always kind of thought that most people don't really look at posters, so I was trying to find out if there was a particularly good place to stick them that people will pay attention.

But hey, I'm clearly a dumbass. ;)

I think that more bands need to be opne minded and play with bands other than the same three or four they alwasy do! i admit when we get asked to play we know the same three or four bands will be supporting us normally, i think a mix is needed so fans can see all bands that are out there! even mix genres at gigs, like metal with indie! why not do it, im sure the turn out will be good!

Well, you know, I disagree. I've always kind of thought that most people don't really look at posters, so I was trying to find out if there was a particularly good place to stick them that people will pay attention.

But hey, I'm clearly a dumbass. ;)

Apart from all the usual suspects (Kilau, music shops, music venues) - it's well worth going a little bit out of your way and getting posters in chippers/independently owned shops. George Street for example is quite a goldmine with shops that are quite happy to accept posters, and if you've got the time and patience, you could even go further afield and start postering places like the Bridge of Don. Even one poster in a shop window in the Bridge of Don could pull in quite a few people if you reach the right person - so it's well worth doing.

It's also worth doing the trawl of university halls - yeah, it's tedious, but getting people in their own comfortable environment is always a winner where advertising is concerned.

One place that doesn't get mentioned very much is the Aberdeen College music centre at Balgownie - that's bound to be a great place to advertise a gig.

I'll have a think for other places :)

Apart from all the usual suspects (Kilau, music shops, music venues) - it's well worth going a little bit out of your way and getting posters in chippers/independently owned shops. George Street for example is quite a goldmine with shops that are quite happy to accept posters, and if you've got the time and patience, you could even go further afield and start postering places like the Bridge of Don. Even one poster in a shop window in the Bridge of Don could pull in quite a few people if you reach the right person - so it's well worth doing.

It's also worth doing the trawl of university halls - yeah, it's tedious, but getting people in their own comfortable environment is always a winner where advertising is concerned.

One place that doesn't get mentioned very much is the Aberdeen College music centre at Balgownie - that's bound to be a great place to advertise a gig.

I'll have a think for other places :)

You see, that's what I was looking for. I've only started promoting. Obviously, I can think for myself, and know that postering in chipshops and music venues etc is what everyone does, but I was just trying to find as many options as possible, and maybe some 'different' options too. I'm a pretty busy guy, so don't have time to spend like an entire day exploring every nook and cranny of the city, which is why I asked the question.

Old Gold - this is a forum, where questions are to be asked, and hopefully answered as helpfully as possible.

Cheers Cloud :)