aberdeen-music

The Mighty GONG!!!!!!!!

What about the Ozric Tentacles? I've been listening to them a lot recently - really stunning stuff. I really want to try getting synth sequences like theirs in the new prog project on the go (The Snake Temple Kings, coming soon :bat: )

Infact, anyone ever had a listen to Magma? They have a similarly mad concept not too unlike Gong's. Made up their own language 'n' all those crazy freaks! Their music might seem daft at first but it REALLY climaxes like no other band i've heard. Any thoughts on them?

You know' date=' I never really got a chance to hear Magma!!

I know they are Steve Davis (the ageing snooker player)'s favourite band though![/quote']

Yeah, I've read that, and frankly, i can't get my head round it.

Here's a link to where you can hear a magma track. I recommend Da Zeuhl Wortz Mekanik :up:

http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_BAND.asp?band_id=646

Here's some Magma video clips too. Pretty disturbing looking and sounding in these clips.

http://ddesassis.free.fr/magma/textes/1977/video.htm

This isn't anything to do with Canterbury scene. But I didn't want to bring up that old jazz thread again so I decided that the tiny bit of love for Shakti that I need to vent after their gig last night will just be dumped in here.

:love:

Okay. Extra love to the guy on mandolin.

:love::kiss:

I like what I've heard of Magma, I wrote an essay about them in French for a uni entrance exam and when I went to the interview the professor guy said he had never heard of Magma before because he probably wasn't cool enough, but that he liked the essay. So uh... yeah.

I was there! They played in the cafeteria on the ground floor. Post Wyatt' date=' unfortunately, but there I was, nodding and grooving, long hair, centre-parting, wispy beard a-gogo...

Bliddy Hippies.[/quote']

its great somebody else on abmus was there.....i remember we were all sitting on the wooden floor of the cafeteria in silence getting immeresed in the vibe. also remember there were two band members wide left & wide right, kinda gave the impression they were

isolated from each other. its the only event we went to in the cafeteria.

I'm pretty sure I saw Hatfield and the North here too' date=' 'cos I've got the badge (don't ask why I can't remember...it's a sensitive subject) :)[/quote']

Ok, why cant you remember? :gringo:

Can't say I do...however I do have one from Virgin for Angel's Egg. I rediscovered it recently at my parents, and have now tucked it into the album sleeve.

Ah yes...the clubby book, from which I got my 'Kevin Keegan' brown pin-striped suit :( And I take it that it was the female underwear pages which caused your myopia!?

Can't say I do...however I do have one from Virgin for Angel's Egg. I rediscovered it recently at my parents' date=' and have now tucked it into the album sleeve.

Ah yes...the clubby book, from which I got my 'Kevin Keegan' brown pin-striped suit :( And I take it that it was the female underwear pages which caused your myopia!?[/quote']

'Fraid so, and one of the first signs of ageing is when that's not the first section you turn to when the new clubby comes in. Hmmm, I wonder where she's put that catalogue...

It might be the Angels Egg one I'm thinking of, I'll have to have a poke about in the loft, it may still be around.

• 7 months later...

Well im just back from Amsterdam after seeing Gong (Angels Egg line up), Steve Hillage Band, System 7, Eat Static, Glissando Guitar Ensemble and loads more.

It was immense i tell you. Steve HIllage can definately still play guitar and Daevid Allen, even at 68 is still a top performer without a doubt.

Theres a cpl of clips up on youtube.com already and more to come soon i imagine.

I missed Acid Mother Gong (AMT w/Daevid Allen), but the glissando guitar ensemble was really special too. 10 guitarists, including Allen, Hillage, AMT guitarist, Here & Now guitarist (i forget the names) all playing gliss guitar. WOW! what a sound was produced. Far more spacey and atmospheric than any noise a synth could produce.

Any folks here dig 'Gong understudies' Here And Now? Whilst I know little of the band beyond small pieces I've read, they did play out with anarcho punks Zounds and The Mob. Here's The Mob's Mark Wilson: "Very early in our career we blagged a spot with a band of freaks and anarchists called Here And Now, who were doing free tours of the UK and shaking a tin at the end to pay for it. It was called "The Floating Anarchy Tour". We were always fond of getting out of it ourselves, and this introduced us to a whole load of possiblities for fun and chaos. We toured and played gigs many times with Here And Now, both in England and Holland; it introduced us to communes and squatting and festivals and many other wonderful things. And, of course, being punks we were welcomed with open arms by alternative society that had grown bored of guitar-solo, hippy bands."

Inspired by these experiences, The Mob set up their own free tour called Weird Tales, hitting the road with Zounds who they'd met via Here And Now. Met The Astronauts too with whom (and I think someone did mention the man) Lol Coxhill played out, and hey, was lucky enough to catch those guys at London's Acton Arms in Hackney '97 with Cuckooland and Ian Bone's The Living Legends.

If ya wanna check out The Mob, then you can do so at http://www.deathrock.com/mob/main.html And for information on both The Astronauts and Zounds, check out http://users.tinyworld.co.uk/acidstings1/ASTRONAUTS.htm.html and http://www.zoundsonline.co.uk

I used to have a record which Here and Now shared with Alternative TV....I just checked, but I must've sold it in the past. Lol Coxhill is a big hero of mine though....he's been doing some interesting stuff recently in Glasgow with folks like Raymond MacDonald, and Phosphene John Cavanagh's band....you can see John at the Ivor cutler tribute in January!!).

I've always like early Gong, but lost interest when they got too jazzy, and the wackiness ebbed away.

Here and Now were also playing in Amsterdam at the unconvention, but we were all far too tired to continue standing at the venue, so we left early on that night. I regret missing them, but i wouldn't have enjoyed them with my legs aching so much.

I did however buy one of their cds of them playing live in the early 90s, but i don't really think too much of it. Music is good, but the vocals and lyrics are a tad too cheesy. I shall give it another shot though.

Also, I purchased a cd of Gong remixes at the festival which is excellent.

Master Builder remixed by the shamen

A sprinkling of clouds by system 7

A PHP's advice by the Orb are just a few of the mixes

Hearing Gong fused with psy-trance and techno is actually pretty damn good :up: