aberdeen-music

The Mighty GONG!!!!!!!!

I've been listening to Gong ALL day, so I've decided to start an appreciation thread here. Anyone else here enjoy Gong?

Also to announce they are playing a 3 day festival in Amsterdam in November, which i would rather die than miss.

Steve Hillage's System 7 are also playing a set amongst loads of other acts at the festival. I can only assume that Hillage isn't going to go all the way to Amsterdam and NOT play with his old band Gong so i'm literally crapping myself about this event.

Info on the gig can be found at www.planetgong.co.uk

I hope im not the only Gong lover on the site :down:

• Upvote 1

You're not...I mentioned them in the Cold Granite thread. Got into them as a wee schoolboy, and bought their first few albums on import, only to see Camembert Eletcrique issued at 50p when they signed to Virgin.

Saw them twice..once at the Music Hall (mid 70s), and a couple of years ago at the Lemon Tree. I love the early, off-the-wall Daevid Allen stuff, but I'm not so keen on their jazz-rock later ones. One of my favourite cassettes as a Teenager was their radio session with Kevin Ayers (John Peel I think), with a great version of Clarence in Wonderland. It's on CD now, so I assume you've got it.

I really like Gong (I also like drinking tea) - 'Angels Egg Volume 2' and 'You' are excellent albums full of wacky English humour and great musicianship.

Is anyone here into the Canterbury scene in general?

I'm really digging bands such as Caravan, Hatfield & the North and Matching Mole just now.

I really like Gong (I also like drinking tea) - 'Angels Egg Volume 2' and 'You' are excellent albums full of wacky English humour and great musicianship.

Is anyone here into the Canterbury scene in general?

I'm really digging bands such as Caravan, Hatfield & the North and Matching Mole just now.

I love all those 'canterbury secene' bands, mmmmmm!

There's a lovely innocence to the music, even when it's quite complicated.

My sundaramusic track (wtih lyrics by the ol' cynic)The Traveller is a wee musical tribute to all that stuff.

:up:

well we had all the postive, now a reality check.

Gong at the Lemon Tree a couple of years ago were cosmic pants, a band obviously playing on reputation & getting hansomely paid in the process,

If you compare the late career show show in Aberdeen by say Soft Machine at the students union & the recent Faust EVENT, Gong didn't even make the starting blocks.

(phil-lovely late night buses last night after creative cultures show)

haystacks are you posting from Prague???

I enjoyed Gong at the Lemon Tree....I took into account that Daevid and Gilli are even older than us by a long shot' date=' and found it all quite charming.

I bought my ticket for their aborted gig at that place in Belmont St which used to be Radars.[/quote']

we agree on musical things far too often...............

somebody sound the gong for round one & i'll beat u up with with warmed

marshmallows, followed quickly by a kick in the pension book

:woohoo:

I like the sound of the warmed marshmallows!! (but I keep my pension book in a hard bookcase, so you'll get a sore foot!) :)

Bodast ...I have just dug out my copies of 'Egg' and 'Civil Surface' for this afternoon's listening whilst I attach knives to my zimmer frame in case of attack by Chilli!

haystacks are you posting from Prague???

Erm nope - posting from work the noo but I live in Aberdeenshire.

I'm reading this thread and can't believe some of the bands I've missed that played Aberdeen: Gong (even if they were poor, would've been an experience) and Soft Machine (is this true? hard to believe - can someone confirm?), Focus (damn, damn, damn why did I miss this), Ozric Tentacles (see Focus).

Are there other past greats who have graced Aberdeen? I did manage to see Hawkwind a couple years back. Maybe I don't want to know, this kicking myself thing is starting to hurt!

Oh yes, there are many old great bands who have played here over the years. Mostly when they were on their way up or down, seldom when they were at the absolute peak, although there are a couple of notable exceptions.

I was at the same HW show. Seen them more times than is physically good for me & that was not one of their most memorable performances I'm afraid.

You really don't want to know! :D

Soft Machine played students union?

Can't confirm Soft Machine but various members have played here at other times Including one doing a stonking set at the Bobbin Mill once.

Back in the day, The Union had a really good roster of regular live bands & often had some absolute crackers in to play. Especially the more off the wall sort eg Nico, Jaques Loussier (Mitchell hall) & The Enid. Even a little known rock band called Texas playing the Beer Bar! :)

I saw Caravan at the University Union on the 'For girls who grow plump in the night' tour (73ish???). Focus played at Drummonds a couple of months ago...I saw their soundcheck.

I'm pretty sure I saw Hatfield and the North here too, 'cos I've got the badge (don't ask why I can't remember...it's a sensitive subject) :)