aberdeen-music

65days gig tonight

stuartmaxwell

I'd seen it advertised on a thread here and a couple of posters in the Bassment and Moshulu. They were there, not dominant enuogh though. I did expect it to be busier, even with the snow and the Tunnels gig. I did wonder if it was still going ahead but the snow's nae what it was back in the day now.

Anyways, I fairly enjoyed the gig. We literally just sat down in the Bassment and Mirimar Disaster came on, so I didn't see a second of that. Going on Vis' description though, I don't think that's a bad thing for me.

Chris Clark was pretty fucking good, was he? Very enjoyable, particularly the jungle/bhangra beats. A couple of songs I thought dragged a bit, y'know, quit while your ahead and all. But overall, interesting, exciting stuff.

As for 65 days, brilliant. Good things come to those who wait; I hadn't seen them before. So much passion and energy. Totally enjoyable to watch and a bunch of gems live. I had a permanent grin for the whole set. The drumming was indeed magic, that's rhythm I can only dream of.

Beats building a snowman anyway :up:

wow wow wow...

65 Days had posters up around town, it was mentioned in the 5000 rfr brochures around town, listed in the paper, mentioned on Northsound (might've even had tickets given away), on top of that, it was on the Moshulu myspace, the Gigs in Aberdeen Myspace, The Granite City Guide Booklet/Myspace/Website, and the whole tour had national ads. On top of that, it was listed on the 65 Myspace/E-mailouts and their website..

So what more do you want?

Since last Wednesday we've had these acts..

Delays

Captain

Horse The Band

Hundred Reasons

Stapleton

Save Ourselves

The Automatic

The Marshals

Roland Shanks

Battle

The Crimea

Clearlake

Manic

The Aliens

Pip Dylan

Mammal

Morning Runner

New Rhodes

65 Days of Static

Chris Clark

The Mirimar Disaster

all in 6 days, in Aberdeen, possibly people have started prioritsing what they're going to see with the amount of cool shows, and oh yeah, it was a blizzard, and their were 350 people in The Tunnels.

As for the sound, Maxi said that The Miramir Disaster's sound was the best he'd heard in Moshulu, and to my knowledge that was engineered by our very own Jimi Troup, as opposed to 65, who had their own engineer, so y'know, what do you want from us?

In terms of biting of more than we can chew...in the last 6 days, I've rep'd 8 gigs, and played 2 seperate ones with MMw, and on top of this i've got more stuff coming in/im chasing more all the time, I have to get on the promotions, and do all the advancing and pre-production for shows too, but I fucking love it.

We've had over 2000 people in the doors in those 6 days, and loads of new faces, really enjoying the gigs. On top of that, we have The Wrens first ever Scottish show on Friday, IN ABERDEEN.

Reject Monkey - If it sounds like the usual Moshulu affair, then maybe you should realise how many of The Tunnels gig you attend are ran/promoted in exactly the same manner, fuck off...

Also, The Automatic on Saturday had almost as many people as the bloody Fudge Awards did.

What people dont realise is that agents/bands request specific venues/capacities, for us it would've been a lot more profitable to have Morning Runner in Moshulu, same goes for Hundred Reasons, both shows could've breezed 500 people, but y'know, you cant always do what you please.

This is a bit annoying, but maybe Maxi's got some sour grapes when it comes to 65.

I nipped up during my shift downstairs on my break and caught a wee bit of Chris Clark which was pleasing but he didn't look very interested! Different strokes for different folks and all that but you'd think he'd just about a bit more ;)

I enjoyed 65days, missed the start of it clearing up but caught my two favourite songs and I believe a good portion of the set. Good performance from a great band.

Reject Monkey - If it sounds like the usual Moshulu affair' date=' then maybe you should realise how many of The Tunnels gig you attend are ran/promoted in exactly the same manner, fuck off...

[/quote']

tunnels gigs are shitely advertised, you usually do a better job, but moshulu wise i never see posters around town, be that because they get nicked, or because they arent there in the first place. and fuck off yourself.

tunnels gigs are shitely advertised' date=' you usually do a better job, but moshulu wise i never see posters around town, be that because they get nicked, or because they arent there in the first place. and fuck off yourself.[/quote']

How exactly do you think that tunnels gigs are 'shitely advertised?'

ps - I think shows at Moshulu seem to be pretty well-advertised.

simple things like postering tend to be under-done by the larger promoters i think. all the smaller promoters seem to have posters EVERYWHERE. yet more tunnels and moshulu gigs only have a few.

This is a bit annoying' date=' but maybe Maxi's got some sour grapes when it comes to 65.[/quote']

sorry but us passionate people feel that 65days & Mushulu is a big mismatch

in comparison to their staggering performances @ SHIFT & The Tunnels.

For you they are just a conveyor belt of product, for us as promotors of

THEIR 1ST TWO DATES EVER IN SCOTLAND as Maxi hinted,,,,,we all feel

theve wasted their last two trips to Aberdeen.

Saddened

choi

As for the sound' date=' Maxi said that The Miramir Disaster's sound was the best he'd heard in Moshulu, and to my knowledge that was engineered by our very own Jimi Troup, as opposed to 65, who had their own engineer, so y'know, what do you want from us?

[/quote']

A new PA, a total refurb inside, lower prices for booze at gigs, a smaller/bigger capacity as appropriate, much more spent on advertising, the air conditioning fixed and so on... Of course, I'm sure these things would've been done already if it was possible to do so, but some people just can't get it in their heads that it's an independent concern.

in fact, fuck it, you should just give up and sell out to some big corporate cheese down south. obviously it makes more sense for our venues and clubs to be ran by faceless people than it does for them to be locally owned.

As for the comment about sour grapes...hasn't that been obvious for quite a while?

in comparison to their staggering performances @ SHIFT & The Tunnels

(THEIR 1ST TWO DATES EVER IN SCOTLAND)

for you they are just a conveyor belt of product' date=' for us as former promotors of 65daysofstatic,

we feel theve wasted their last two trips to Aberdeen.[/quote']

Are you honestly trying to say that RFR as a whole think of the bands as being a conveyor belt of product?! I don't know what Jamesy thinks personally of 65 days, but to say "you're not passionate about them, you're just using them" is possibly the most offensive thing I've ever read on here. Jamesy's post (and workload) makes it blatantly clear that he's just as passionate as you about the music, the only difference being that he doesn't need to publicly post pretentious rubbish about them in order to try and get people to attend.

Have you considered that possibly, 65days like playing Moshulu and don't want to play The Tunnels or suchlike?

I might have missed something, but shouldn't you be happy for 65days... that a bigger promotions company thinks highly enough of them to put them on at their venue with such a high capacity?

*sigh* kids these days...

Out of interest, are all the people on here wrong when they say that 65days... were great? Are they not passionate enough either?

in comparison to their staggering performances @ SHIFT & The Tunnels.

For you they are just a conveyor belt of product' date=' for us as promotors of

THEIR 1ST TWO DATES EVER IN SCOTLAND as Maxi hinted,,,,,we all feel

theve wasted their last two trips to Aberdeen.

Saddened

choi[/quote']

*reads again*

Bites Tongue.

Well I didn't know about the gig, but fortunately Amy told me about it :p

Missed the first band.

Nicky Clark - I thought he was pretty good to begin with but it's totally not my cup of tea, and by the end it was just dragging a bit for me. I didn't really dig the feotus-looking thingy on the screen either it freaked me out :p

65days- never seen these guys before, and i thought they were ace. the drummer was amazing, he was an absolute machine! I was rather impressed by these guys, i'd def go and see them again.

Gig last night was awesome. Didn't catch The Mirimar Disaster as I was working until 8 but if they were as good as people have been saying hopefully I'll catch them some other time.

Chris Clarke was fantastic, there was a real progression in his set, some of the drum and bass stuff near the end was awesome and the visuals were brilliant.

Really enjoyed 65days, their music is so passionate and thoroughly inspirational.

Thought the gig wasn't too badly advertised, it's been on a lot of flyers and stuff, had my ticket way back in January. There's been a hell of a lot of fantastic gigs over the past couple of weeks, Stapleton in particular were brilliant. Much respect to the promoters and keep up the good work!

We've had over 2000 people in the doors in those 6 days' date=' and loads of new faces, really enjoying the gigs. On top of that, we have The Wrens first ever Scottish show on Friday, IN ABERDEEN.

[/quote']

plenty of first scottish dates happen in aberdeen. i wouldnt get too hung up on that

This is a bit annoying, but maybe Maxi's got some sour grapes when it comes to 65.

you are right. and thats because they are half the band they can be in moshulu and you are failing to see that

as for cloud, he can go fuck himself, we all know his opinions mean squat. he prefers to stand on the sidelines and criticise others yet he couldnt do better if he tried. "business angle" my fat fucking arse

• Upvote 1

I really enjoyed that gig, Miramar Disaster were good, especially their final song which was ace.

Chris Clarke's set was cool, interesting for me as I've never really seen a live dj set up close before.

I thought 65dos were really good too, radio protector is a song and a half :D

The visuals on the back screen were weird and wonderful too, especially (just before 65dos i think) when it played the folky cover of the NWA song with the original video on the background!