aberdeen-music

Formula 1 2006

Lemonade

Guest DustyDeviada
He let Hakkinen past to win in the last race of the 97 season' date=' because that was what propelled him on in the following season.[/quote']

Yes he did, but so did Vileneuve, that was the infamous race where Schumacher tried to run him off the track.

But he ALSO let Hakkinen past him at the first race in 98 in Melbourne. They supposedly had an agreement that whoever got into the first corner first would be allowed to win the race. Hakkinen fucked up at one point but Coulthard still let him past for his first "real" win in a car which was obviously going to win the championship.

The fact that Hakkinen won the last race of the previous season not withstanding, Coulthard had the upper hand in the McLaren team up till that point in terms of race wins and credibility. But as soon as Coulthard let Hakkinen past to win that first race, Hakkinen got the momentum and retained it for the next couple of years. I still think that if Coulthard hadn't let Hakkinen win in Melbourne he would have been champion that year at least.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Les Stroszek
Yes he did' date=' but so did Vileneuve, that was the infamous race where Schumacher tried to run him off the track.

[/quote']

Villeneuve's on borrowed time sadly, I think BMW will get rid of him at the first opportunity.

I've got money on Raikkonen, just hope his car doesn't keep falling to bits like it did last year.

Oh, anyone want to buy a huge stockpile of old F1 Racing magazine from 1996-2000? There's about 50 of them doing nothing in the cupboard, I'll let them go for any sensible offer......

What power are the dragsters you race producing?

It will be interesting to see what the power of the engines the teams running restricted v10s will be like.

Around 7000hp. We use Nitromethane, not gasoline, and we also have a honking great supercharger on the motor too. But its mainly in the fuel. Direct drive, through a 5-disc clutch system via a reverser and into the biggest rear axle you ever saw.

I don't think the restricted V10s will be that great to be honest, you have the penalties of weight and size over a smaller V8, plus choking a motor is no way to make good power and delivery. No matter how you do it! Their only advantage may be reliability, as a de-tuned V10 should hold together a lot better than a balls to the wall V8. But, what good is reliability when most of the pack will piss away from you for most of the race? Not that many will blow up, leaving you to come home mid-to-bottom of the field.

I really hope that Raikkonen wins it this season, but they will have to turn any reliabilty problems they have at the start of the season round fast. Though there shouldn't be any of the problems with the tyres like last year, hurrah for tyre changes again! It would help him if Montoya was more consistent too.

The Renults will probably be the winners for the first couple of races. Though with the new qualifying, which will hopefully make more sense once i've seen it could see a mixed up grid.

Though have a dilema working to 12 on sunday. Do i tape it get home and not watch the end of the race, or do i get home to see whose winning?

Guest DustyDeviada
Though have a dilema working to 12 on sunday. Do i tape it get home and not watch the end of the race' date=' or do i get home to see whose winning?[/quote']

I used to have that problem, if I was use I would wait 'til the end then watch the tape.

No such problems now, my DVD recorder with hard drive lets me watch a recording from the start while still taping the rest of the race/match/film etc. :up:

No such problems now' date=' my DVD recorder with hard drive lets me watch a recording from the start while still taping the rest of the race/match/film etc. :up:[/quote']

Very jealous!

Guess I'll just have to use the old fashion method of taping and watch it once it's finished.

*****SPOILER ALERT TO ANYONE NOT WATCHED IT YET*****

Well that was a brilliant start to the season. How close was that Alonso/Schuey pit exit. Very Impressive from Alonso. Button deserved 3rd and was so unlucky in the pit. Agree with driver of day being Rosberg, Definetly has a bright future ahead of him!

whats everyone elses thoughts?

exciting season ahead?

My hope is he'll do a Hakkinen, finally win a race at about the 400th time of asking, and suddenly develop a taste for it...

One think I've been thinking of today is that there are going to be two very desirable seats up for grabs next year, with Alonso vacating at Renault, and Schumacher possibly retiring, I wouldn't be surprised to see Button lineup in a Ferrari next year.

Guest b-bert
My hope is he'll do a Hakkinen' date=' finally win a race at about the 400th time of asking, and suddenly develop a taste for it...

One think I've been thinking of today is that there are going to be two very desirable seats up for grabs next year, with Alonso vacating at Renault, and Schumacher possibly retiring, I wouldn't be surprised to see Button lineup in a Ferrari next year.[/quote']

apart from his loyalty and huge contract at honda.

and i agree itv think way too much of him just because he is british.

apart from his loyalty and huge contract at honda.

and i agree itv think way too much of him just because he is british.

Perhaps I am just being hopeful. I like Button, he's certainly a lot better than some of the mince on the grid, he's got a very good record of making it onto the podium in a car that hasn't always been expected to challenge for race wins, granted he'll probably never be champion, but I think he's go a few wins in him.

Guest Les Stroszek

Yeah it was a great race. Think the years going to be dominated by three drivers Alonso, Schumachar and Raikonnen. It was actually a good start for Raikonnen finishing 3rd in the first race as McLaren were nowhere last year early on and they always get stronger as the year goes by. Great debut from Rosberg. If Massa can learn to keep it together in races then he can be dangerious but I'm yet to be convinced hes got what it takes to be a regular challenger but time will tell. Toyota look like they are going to be embarrassed.

Guest DustyDeviada
apart from his loyalty

I hope that was an attempt at humour.

Button is the most disloyal driver I have ever seen! The way he pissed BAR about to sign for Williams and then reneged on his Williams deal when it became clear that they were losing their BMW backing was unbelievable, and if I was one of the F1 bosses I would blacklist him and ensure he never worked in the sport again. So much fuss over someone who has done nothing. Given the equipment he's had he should have at least fluked one win by now.

Thought he was a bit crap this weekend, yeah he passed Montoya, but Montoya wasn't exactly great was he? He managed to come behind Raikkonen who started about 18 places behind him.

Great race though, should be a good season. Qualifying was fun too apart from the start of the third session, seemed a bit pointless them going round in circles for ten minutes.

Guest Les Stroszek

I have respect for Button over the whole Williams/BAR contract situation and Williams got the better of the deal anyway cos they got a £30m pay-off to realease him from his contract. Someone above compared him to Hakkinnen but even he did not take 100 races + to win a race. I think hes one of the better drivers outside of the top lot - Aloinso/Schumachar/Raikonnen but not in the same league as those guys.

I hope that was an attempt at humour.

Button is the most disloyal driver I have ever seen! The way he pissed BAR about to sign for Williams and then reneged on his Williams deal when it became clear that they were losing their BMW backing was unbelievable' date=' and if I was one of the F1 bosses I would blacklist him and ensure he never worked in the sport again. So much fuss over someone who has done nothing. Given the equipment he's had he should have at least fluked one win by now.

Thought he was a bit crap this weekend, yeah he passed Montoya, but Montoya wasn't exactly great was he? He managed to come behind Raikkonen who started about 18 places behind him.

Great race though, should be a good season. Qualifying was fun too apart from the start of the third session, seemed a bit pointless them going round in circles for ten minutes.[/quote']

I diagree, I believe Buttons performance this weekend was first class, soncond row of the grid behind the ferarri's and finishing fourth was a good result far a team with not the best chassis on the grid. And comparing his performance with Raikkonen who is probably one of the most naturally talented drivers since Ayrton Senna is hardly fair. Raikkonen's performance from 22nd on the grid to a podium finish indicates to me that unless he has the same "luck" as last year he'll be 2006 world champion with no problem.

And as for him being disloyal his future was shaped by contracts, he was invited to return to Williams on a very lucrative contract, but BAR went to court and proved they had the stronger contract, that was 2004/5 his decision to remain with BAR in 2006 proves his loyalty.....in my opinion.

Guest Les Stroszek

But he signed another legally-binding contract with Williams for 2006, then started sulking that he didn't want to go there and BAR ended up paying Williams £30m to keep him thats why he's disloyal.

Guest DustyDeviada
But he signed another legally-binding contract with Williams for 2006' date=' then started sulking that he didn't want to go there and BAR ended up paying Williams 30m to keep him thats why he's disloyal.[/quote']

Correct! Apart from the bit about BAR paying out Williams, I think it was Button himself.

Guest Les Stroszek
Correct! Apart from the bit about BAR paying out Williams' date=' I think it was Button himself.[/quote']

Yeah maybe your right, he's an arrogant little swine isn't he! I was happy to see Alonso beat Schumachar yesterday.