aberdeen-music

NME Awards

framheim

just to prove how utterly shit the nme has become they awarded bob fucking geldof with a hero of the year award.

and gorillaz got the john peel music innovation award. now nothing against the gorillaz but are they innovative because they're a cartoon? well surely josie and the pussycats would have somthing to say about that or even the monkees. also they're on their second album now. not really that new an idea anymore is it? maybe if they'd been awarded it after the first album.

what do you lot think?

just to prove how utterly shit the nme has become they awarded bob fucking geldof with a hero of the year award.

and gorillaz got the john peel music innovation award. now nothing against the gorillaz but are they innovative because they're a cartoon? well surely josie and the pussycats would have somthing to say about that or even the monkees. also they're on their second album now. not really that new an idea anymore is it? maybe if they'd been awarded it after the first album.

what do you lot think?

I remember in the mid 90s that the NME awards were rebranded The Brats in retaliation to the blandness of the Brit Awards.

Now, sadly, there's very little difference between the two - half of the Brits winners (Kaisers, Coldplay) and dozens of the nominees probably cropped up in the same categories in the NME awards.

Even the NMEs "Godlike Genius" - Ian Brown - was nominated for a Brits.

And if The Gorrilaz are the most inovative act featuring in the NME then I despair - there's simply no hope for music if that's as interesting as it gets.

Did Bob Geldof get the lifetime achievment award at last years Brits? Sorry, but his music is shite - give him the award for Charity, but not for music.

even if it's for charity what has he really acheived in the last year short of holding a couple of concerts that didn't even raise money for anything and failed to change anything. even the lineup was horribly conservative and unexciting.

the only thing live8 achieved was to offend people with swearing before the watershed.

even if it's for charity what has he really acheived in the last year short of holding a couple of concerts that didn't even raise money for anything and failed to change anything. even the lineup was horribly conservative and unexciting.

the only thing live8 achieved was to offend people with swearing before the watershed.

it's lazy pleb journalism, I don't bother getting het up about it, as I know where to find my "good music", so I let the knobs think they are special and individual, because they buy what they are told to buy. ("innovative"...Oh, must buy that so I look cool)...

I still only buy music because I LIKE IT, not because I think it'll make me look cool on a chat room. (that'll never happen!) ho ho

holding a couple of concerts that didn't even raise money for anything and failed to change anything.

Not true. Raised awareness, and twisted government arms into coughing up more dough. Unless you have done an equivalent amount of charity work to Bob Geldof, don't criticise his efforts.

Best bit of the show? When Geldof called Russell Brand a "c**t". If ever an epithet was deserved, this was it. And Brand's face was a picture.

AKM

it's lazy pleb journalism' date=' I don't bother getting het up about it, as I know where to find my "good music", so I let the knobs think they are special and individual, because they buy what they are told to buy. ("innovative"...Oh, must buy that so I look cool)...

I still only buy music because I LIKE IT, not because I think it'll make me look cool on a chat room. (that'll never happen!) ho ho[/quote']

you're right enough. it's just annoying to see a once great magazine going further down the pan. it's become this kind of corporate idea of an alternative lifestyle. such a joke.

Not true. Raised awareness' date=' and twisted government arms into coughing up more dough. Unless you have done an equivalent amount of charity work to Bob Geldof, don't criticise his efforts.

Best bit of the show? When Geldof called Russell Brand a "c**t". If ever an epithet was deserved, this was it. And Brand's face was a picture.

AKM[/quote']

it's stupid to say that unless someones done as much work as geldof they can't criticise him. opinions are meant to be unfounded and wild, not based on actual experience and knowledge! sheesh!

anyway, they didn't accomplish what they set out to acheive and it would be unfair to the thousands of protestors who turned out in edinburgh if you claimed that live8 were the only people to have an effect, albeit a minor one. i'm not saying geldof hasn't done any good, just that he's no hero of mine.

russell brand is infinitely more talented than geldof as well.

it's funny actually, the only "vice" i have with music, and I am sure a lot of people will agree, is that when one of your favourite bands / acts gets "picked up on" (like jose Gonzalez, Junior Senior to name but two) and seems to be shifted into "main stream", I always feel pissed off (the sad "I heard them before they were famous") I always cringe when I hear myself say that.

but, I am glad for these people, making quality music and making money from it.

it's stupid to say that unless someones done as much work as geldof they can't criticise him

I said "equivalent" amount. Obviously he has slightly more spare time and money than you, I'm guessing? But he makes a hell of an effort for a good cause. Which not many people do.

russell brand is infinitely more talented than geldof as well.

Ugh. He's apparently a "comedian/TV presenter". He's neither funny or entertaining. I wish he were not on my TV screen any more.

AKM

Guest tv tanned

voting Pete Doherty as the sexiest man is utterly reprehensible.

They might as well just provide kids with a wrap of speed and a Hep C infected needle with the next edition.

The mind boggles

As much as Russel Brand does my head in, his comeback to Geldof was superb. As Geldof walked off the stage he said something along the lines of...

"Bob Geldof there, a man who's done a huge amount for world Famine and Starvation. Starvation of course isn't something Bob's personally experienced as he's been dining out off the back of 'I Don't Like Mondays' for years".

If he came up with that himself, he's gone up in my estimation.

The awards themselves were generally totally unjustified, other than The Long Blondes getting the Philip Hall Radar Award. The show itself though was pretty entertaining, for pretty much all the wrong reasons. Highlights for me included: The Artic Monkeys fumbled acceptance speeches, The guy from The Cribs wiping out the Kaiser Chiefs table and The Sugababes pop masterstroke of covering the Artic Monkeys.

Did Bob Geldof get the lifetime achievment award at last years Brits? Sorry' date=' but his music is shite - give him the award for Charity, but not for music.[/quote']

I totally disagree. I find that Bob Geldof nowadays is an insufferably self-righteous prick with a huge Messiah complex, second only to Bono in terms of his oh-so-caring charity work (AKA transparently self-publicising celebrity schmoozing).

But...I do think that The Boomtown Rats were a fantastic new-wave pop band. I'd rather remember Bob Geldof for his early music than for obsequiously fawning to his super-annuated pop-star friends and celebrities whilst 'saving the world'.