aberdeen-music

Your favourite "Uncool" Acts

Guest DustyDeviada

Guest bluesxman
are Duran Duran uncool?

They were one of the few mainstream 80's bands that I could handle, they had some great songs which allowed you to overlook the fact that Simon Le Bon is an insufferable c**t and the fact that they wore awful girly clothes. They also did one of the best Bond themes ever.

Spandau Ballet (is that the right spelling? Doesn't look correct...), now there was a horrible band.....

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the uncool acts mentioned on here make some pretty decent music. It smacks a bit of the emperor's new clothes phenomena really. Alot of the cool bands churn out utter shite, and as soon as any of these bands recieve any sort of commercial success they immediately become uncool. I just don't get it.

My uncool bands are:

Spice Girls

Cleopatra

Shoala Ama

Jamiroquai

Lionel Ritchie

Billy Joel and Phil Collins. Jesus some of you have no shame have you?

Hows about:

Merle Haggard ('cept he is uber cool to me)

Micheal Nesmith

Sister Sledge (I love Sister Sledge)

Problem is that everything I listen to is cool to me. Who cares what anybody else thinks?

Oh yeah (Alan Cynic) Slade were the coolest band in '73 (or at least to me...). Still love that violin on that one they use(d) on the Transit Van ads...

Guest DustyDeviada

Merle Haggard ('cept he is uber cool to me)

Micheal Nesmith

Sister Sledge (I love Sister Sledge)

Merle Haggard and Mike Nesquick are cool. Sister Sledge aren't cool, but I agree that they are ace, ditto Chic.

If I'm being perfectly honest, I dig a load of uncool stuff especially dating from when I liked chart music (about 14 years ago). I really liked a whole gamut of rap and cod-reggae bands back in the early nineties which are probably now at the absolute top-end of the most uncool bands in the world. Of course there was white rapper Snow. That shit was fre-esh. Badboy4life, Yo. Chaka Demus & Pliers were also high on my list as were Big Mountain, Ini Kamoze, Stakka Bo, Shabba Ranks(!) and Pato Banton. I would often mix shit up by listening to a 'Fruit of the Loom' hard rock compilation CD which my parents received free from Gateway on Wellington Road.

And what about Moist? Remember they were the most painfully uncool grunge-lite band in the world. I bought their sole hit (on cassette) from 'Soundsright' in Ellon back in the day.

Guest bluesxman
I like Prince' date=' which gets me a lot of abuse.

And I love Neil Young.[/quote']

Neil Young is cool - Hey Hey My My, F**kin' Up, Cortez The Killer, Dead Man Soundtrack, Like A Hurricane being just a few reasons why.