Your favourite "Uncool" Acts

Guest DustyDeviada

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DustyDeviada
Are 'The Knack' cool or uncool now?

Uncool in my book for refusing Tarantino permission to use My Sharona in Pulp Fiction:

THR: Have you ever been turned down in a song request?

Tarantino: Yeah' date=' there's one song where that happened, but it all actually worked out for the best because (the use of the song) was a little too jokey, and I don't like using a song to a particularly jokey effect; a lot of people do that, and I don't like it. But I have weak flesh from time to time and think it's a good idea, too. The one time I was going to go for it, they didn't let me have it, and I thank them for it.

THR: It saved you from yourself?

Tarantino: Yes, exactly. Actually, it was the ("Pulp Fiction") scene where Marsellus was dragged into the back room by Zed and Maynard. ... You might remember they put on some music as they sodomized him. The song that I originally wanted to use was the Knack's "My Sharona," but the thing about it was that right at that time when I wanted "My Sharona," they were choosing between (licensing it for 1994's) "Reality Bites" and "Pulp Fiction," and they chose "Reality Bites."

THR: What reason did they give?

Tarantino: (Laughs) Well, I think it was the fact that it was a sodomy scene in this weird, crazy movie by this guy they'd never heard before.[/quote']

Also, that song has to be just about the dodgiest paedo song since "Young Girl" by Gary Puckett and Union Gap, "I always get it up from the touch of the younger kind" indeed.

Kind of funny hearing it on Radio 2 though.

Phil Collins....*starts twitching*

Hehe...as much I hate Phil Collins, I have been listening a lot to "In the air tonight"....but that's strictly for hearing some ground breaking drum sounds.

.....oh and singing along :O

Most the stuff that's "uncool" is probably the coolest shit ever to other people, but the uncool stuff I've listened to lately is

* Queen - later albums...first few albums are still slightly credible to me

* Lots of 1920/30's piano ragtime/boogie stuff....this would have been like punk rock in those days, not anymore!!!

* Brian Setzer orchestra - some of this is hard to stomach because it reminds me too much of the kind of rock'n'roll on 'Grease', but some of it is too damn good

* My own music...seriously, songs I'm working on, I can listen to them about 100 times in a row, some of it is checking out the mix, but the rest is sheer pride in my own work :D Seriously uncool :DD

Aye, I'm a Billy Joel fan- 'Piano man' is the best ever.

I bought Ashlee Simpson's first cd for three pounds, so i guess that means I like her a little.

However I've got secret desires for Robbie Williams, Paul Simon, Meatloaf, Cris Rhea, and I fucking love the Pokemon theme tune.

Busted' date=' Son of Dork, Girls Aloud, Ashlee Simpson, Five and Britney Spears on the pop front.

In the last couple of years, I have been to see Meat Loaf and Bryan Adams live and loved them both. I am going to see Bon Jovi in June - amazing![/quote']

yeah ive seen meatloaf, bryan adams and bon jovi

creedence are cool aren't they? i always thought they were kinda cool anyway. i love creedence.

i'd say tom petty was probably my favourite uncool act.

what's uncool about tom petty? man, when i was twelve i had this red leather harley davidson jacket that had chains all over it. my dad had picked it up from the states for my birthday because i was going through my 'all things harley' phase (i used to pin up pictures of choppers on my bedroom walls while the rest of my classmates were pinning up take that posters) and it was the coolest damn jacket in the world. only my mother told me that i didn't want to be known around town as 'that girl with the red leather chains jacket' even though to this day i wouldn't mind being known as that. so she banished it to the confines of my wardrobe till we could return it the next time we were in the states for something 'less obnoxious'. my only enjoyment i got from that damn jacket was listening to 'into the great wide open' by tom petty and jingling my leather jacket chains along to the jingle sound after the line 'his leather jacket it had chains that would jingle.' ahhh those were the days.

what's uncool about tom petty? man' date=' when i was twelve i had this red leather harley davidson jacket that had chains all over it. my dad had picked it up from the states for my birthday because i was going through my 'all things harley' phase (i used to pin up pictures of choppers on my bedroom walls while the rest of my classmates were pinning up take that posters) and it was the coolest damn jacket in the world. only my mother told me that i didn't want to be known around town as 'that girl with the red leather chains jacket' even though to this day i wouldn't mind being known as that. so she banished it to the confines of my wardrobe till we could return it the next time we were in the states for something 'less obnoxious'. my only enjoyment i got from that damn jacket was listening to 'into the great wide open' by tom petty and jingling my leather jacket chains along to the jingle sound after the line 'his leather jacket it had chains that would jingle.' ahhh those were the days.[/quote']

That's poetry.

uncool but cool

Neil diamond

Queen

def leppard

joe purdy

josh rouse

For some unknown reason to myself and i hope i get slated here but im finding im listning to more Country music than anything else atm... by this i dont mean patsy cline tho..... lol its more like american acoustic kinda country kinda soft rock...

Guest bluesxman
* Brian Setzer orchestra - some of this is hard to stomach because it reminds me too much of the kind of rock'n'roll on 'Grease'' date=' but some of it is too damn good

[/quote']

I've got the first album, it's pretty good!

Guest bluesxman
DO NOT question the Collins!!!!:p

He's partially deaf and has a knack for writing genius pop songs like 'Sussudio' and he's a great drummer.

I wish he was my dad :)

I never knew that - but it explains a lot to me about his music! :up: