aberdeen-music

Lemon Tree Street Team

misterdale

14 year olds work as newspaper distributors, what's the difference? As long as they're not outside venues at 2 or 3am flyering, then there are no laws being broken.

Plus, the LT's shows are normally 14+, so free tickets make sense. No one is being forced to do this, seems a good idea.

14 year olds work as newspaper distributors' date=' what's the difference? As long as they're not outside venues at 2 or 3am flyering, then there are no laws being broken.[/quote']

Difference is that they're getting paid for it, maybe? They get ripped off completely, but that's another story.

The thing that worries me most of all is that they might unwittingly come a cropper by pushing stuff in the wrong place - someone who knows their stuff might know not to hand out flyers outside a certain club, but others, especially kids with no knowledge of this thing might be completely naive to it - and get themselves in trouble in the process. If they're not hired by the Lemon Tree for money, is the Lemon Tree really going to care that much about where and when they promote stuff?

Given the way street teams normally work, they'd have fuck all protection and wouldn't be covered by the Lemon Tree's insurance either. Is this what people want to see from a taxpayer funded venue?

Surely the Lemon Tree could come up with the money to pay someone to get out there and do the job of a street team anyway?

Difference is that they're getting paid for it' date=' maybe? They get ripped off completely, but that's another story.

The thing that worries me most of all is that they might unwittingly come a cropper by pushing stuff in the wrong place - someone who knows their stuff might know not to hand out flyers outside a certain club, but others, especially kids with no knowledge of this thing might be completely naive to it - and get themselves in trouble in the process. Is it really the thing that a council owned venue wants on their plate?

Given the way street teams normally work, they'd have fuck all protection and wouldn't be covered by the Lemon Tree's insurance either. Is this what people want to see from a taxpayer funded venue?

Surely the Lemon Tree could come up with the money to pay someone to get out there and do the job of a street team anyway?[/quote']

hmmm this is pretty true, i know for a fact if i go to certain areas id get the shit kicked outta me, or at least supposedly. so these kids would at least have like "teams", like a group of 6/7 folk out, pref with someone older.

or like someone else said, hire someone to do the job instead (and pay them proper :D)

hmmm this is pretty true' date=' i know for a fact if i go to certain areas id get the shit kicked outta me, or at least supposedly. so these kids would at least have like "teams", like a group of 6/7 folk out, pref with someone older. [/quote']

Well, I wouldn't fancy my chances flyering outside some venues here. Some places are unlikely to care less, some places might take it deadly seriously (I've heard enough stories...). I definitely wouldn't flyer for someone else without being paid for it, it's just not worth the potential hassle - and before anyone says, free tickets is hardly fair compensation given the amount of decent gigs at the Lemon Tree these days.

or like someone else said, hire someone to do the job instead (and pay them proper :D)

There's gotta be other ways of doing it though - what about giving bands slots playing in exchange for advertising their gig properly? The idea of using kids is pretty unethical, but to use a bunch of adults is a different story really.

There's gotta be other ways of doing it though - what about giving bands slots playing in exchange for advertising their gig properly? The idea of using kids is pretty unethical' date=' but to use a bunch of adults is a different story really.[/quote']

that is actually a good idea. get some bands to do it, and reward them with gigs. would probs also open the doors to bands like myself that cant get gigs easily (no demo till wednesday)

why DONT they do that? i mean there'd probs be more folk to do it?

The only way they would be flyering outside of venues would be if they were doing it at 2 or 3 in the morning, which common sense dictates that this is not the case.

By Street Team, the LT mean kids with free weekend afternoons to stick posters and flyers in shops. It's that simple.