aberdeen-music

poor standards?

Guest MKII

Guest Les Stroszek
yes sir! !! nae offence but last time i checked jaguars werent cheap.

Aye captain! You've got a point if you have no cash. There cheap as far as quality new guitars go and they are cool. Thought it was funny to hear you slag off bassists what a cheek :laughing: At least some things are still the same with your crazy tunings. Are you going to be like Sonic Youth with 5 million differently tuned guitars at every gig?

wow I just stumbled on this thread. Actually this is a lie, I spoke to Ollie and Mel tonight and told me I'd missed out quite the barney about the band. All In all I am really chuffed we managed to string out five pages worth of debate considering we havent even gigged yet. Caused me much amusement tonight.

fraser wrote that....bassists will be bassists i guess.

Firstly Oi! I resent that comment about bassists' date=' especially since you used to be one. And yes, I fucked up with the writing on that one. First Song was recorded by Ollie and Mel at a practice I didnt attend on a low fi tape recorder from Tom's. The second track was recorded on my minidisk player with a microphone in the corner of the practice room. Ollie himself stated in the original post:

we recorded some ideas and jotted them down on myspace. Aye, sound is not great but u can keep up to date with what were doin at myspace.com/formerminister

ta ollie

we never claimed these were finished songs or anything, just after some criticism, not to be attacked for poor standards, since we havent rehearsed together all that often or properly arranged the songs.

Just listened to the track again (that'll be the last time) and if you cant hear that thats out of tune in places you must be deaf....its not a telecaster by any chance is it?

I suspect intonation as the open stuff seems ok.

What track are you referring to? The intonation is out on my bass' date=' it badly needs a service and it shall recieve one, as far as I know from now on until my bass is fixed I will be using Ollie's bass. As far as the guitar goes, Ollie plays with weird tunings and I dont see it as my place to really interfere with his playing and just work on my own lines.

are the guitars maybe meant to sound like that though? going by the style of music it is with the whole sonic youth mad tuning etc. i liked the tracks though. let me know when your playing ollie and i'll come along.

As far as I know, aye, Ollie means to play like that. He's pretty fucking tight, knows what he's doing and is probably the best thing about the band at the mo.

I just listened to the song 'morag'.

I wouldn't really say it's my thing - Because 8 and a half minutes of one drum beat (that sometimes stopped)' date=' 2 bass notes, the occasional guitar "riff" every now and again, and someone having a conversation with themself in the background, isn't really my thing.[/quote']

As I already said in Ollie's original post on the feedback forum about the band, Morag is an extended jam with the basis of a song that needs to be properly arranged, worked on, and given a good old polish. At the time of recording, none of us were really in the mood, I was coming down with flu, Ollie and Mel werent feeling too good either. Not an excuse I know, but we never said it was a finished article of a song.

Also that someone having a conversation with themselves is me, its also called spoken word lyrics, not everyone's cup of tea but I thought it suited the music. Also the two note bass and same drum beat, what's really wrong with that? As long as there is something else interesting going on, which I'm sure there will be by the time the song is polished up enough to present to a live audience or as a finished demo.

It depends' date=' Ollie, if you want people to give you constructive criticism, as you asked, or if you just want praise from them. There seems to be a lot of constructive criticisim on here about your guitar been out of tune and other stuff. Perhaps it would be best to take these points on board to improve your band rathar than just goin 'WE'RE NOT SHIT!'.[/quote']

Yeah, we will take all the constructive criticism on board, that was the original idea for posting the sketches in the first place, but it is really disheartening to be called shit, slated and attacked when we are trying to see what the public thinks. Constructive criticism is one thing, and we have recieved plenty of that, but just slagging us and attacking us isnt helpfull at all.

I would like to point that I don't personally think your shit but there is a few good points on here' date=' hope things go well![/quote']

But cheers dude! :up:

And nice people' date=' let loose on the internet for too long, become assholes. :angel: :O[/quote']

Thanks for that, did my self esteem a lot of good there, being called an asshole for a simple mistake by someone who has no idea who I am. And of course people who are let loose on the internet for too long and start posts slagging new bands who are asking for some feedback for their work as an example of "poor standards" obviously have avoided becoming assholes.

i dont know why he plays with 5 strings

I think one broke and he has never got around to fixing it.

Care to share some of your tunings?

Why should he have to? Would showing his tunings suddenly legitimise the whole thing in your eyes? or would it give you more fodder to attack him with.

Ok.' date=' thats more than my two cents, I hope I havent been too aggressive, I appreciate a lot of the things people have said, especially mr Blastcap, Scenester and the legend that is Alan Cynic, but please dont attack new bands just for the sake of it, ok I fucked up and called the two tracks demos, when they are simply recordings of jams from microphones in the corner of the room. My bad, I admit it, but there really is no need to be so fucking shameless and abrasive and use us as a scapegoat in your excuse to lord your musical majesty over other people.

Again, cheers to all the [i']constructive criticism, good and bad, and to those who just slagged for the sake of it I hope you are happy and that you sleep well knowing the world is a better place for you just laying into a new band on the internet and possibly putting them off ever attempting to make music again.

Guest Les Stroszek
wow I just stumbled on this thread.

Hey sorry I believe I drunkingly accosted you when you were working in the cloakroom after the Dawn of The Replicants gig on Sat! Good luck with things though some good stuff!

Guest Les Stroszek

Cheers! I wasn't too bad just a tenny wee bit tipsy I suppose. Trying to be more sensible these days and I'm getting too old anyway! Im changing my age to 23 I think...

Thanks for that' date=' did my self esteem a lot of good there, being called an asshole for a simple mistake by someone who has no idea who I am. And of course people who are let loose on the internet for too long and start posts slagging new bands who are asking for some feedback for their work as an example of "poor standards" obviously have avoided becoming assholes.

[/quote']

Silly, that was said by me, at me! The very fact I started this thread shows i've been online too much.

I asked about his tunings, because I was interested to know how he tuned his guitar, nothing more.

And of course, everything you've said attacking those who've slagged your band should be pointed at Ollie as well, he's been rather fond of saying others are "shit!" etc.

Anyway, this thread aint about your band, its about very bad demos being made available for public hearing online.

Too much muso crap....I like stuff to be out of tune (not saying that FormerMinister are). It's just a chance to hear what folks are doing...you either like it or not. You could have stuff played to perfection that's totally emotionless/bland.

i agree with alan here!

i like my bands out of tune demos - and thats all that matters to me!

I think that the point that MKII is trying to make is that;

Bands (like Former Minister) put up poor quality, 'unfinished' demos online for criticism/review/general public awareness etc, but then after they get negative comments, they try and defend the demo with excuses such as: " we weren't feeling very up to it", "I was a bit ill", "haven't had our instruments restrung/set up properly" etc etc etc etc etc.

That is all very well - but if they are merely unfinished jams, unpolished/out of tune, and not an exact representation of the band - then why put them online AND tell people about it? Why not keep them to yourself, and once you have recorded something that you're happy with, THEN share it with the world?

I can see exactly where he (MKII) is coming from.

I think that the point that MKII is trying to make is that;

Bands (like Former Minister) put up poor quality' date=' 'unfinished' demos online for criticism/review/general public awareness etc, but then after they get negative comments, they try and defend the demo with excuses such as: " we weren't feeling very up to it", "I was a bit ill", "haven't had our instruments restrung/set up properly" etc etc etc etc etc.

That is all very well - but if they are merely unfinished jams, unpolished/out of tune, and not an exact representation of the band - then why put them online AND tell people about it? Why not keep them to yourself, and once you have recorded something that you're happy with, THEN share it with the world?

I can see exactly where he (MKII) is coming from.[/quote']

I concur... Happens regular on here and probably elsewhere, I would assume...