aberdeen-music

poor standards?

Guest MKII

The guitar didn't sound that bad to me at all. ?(

Ollie you had better work on your guitar playing' date=' invest thousands of pounds on a good guitar, a proper tuner and some quality studio time, and get a bit of attitude aswell![/quote']

Or you could try these simple steps:

The 12th fret harmonic should be exactly the same note (although a different octave) to the open string.

Tune the guitar (you need the neck tensioned correctly or you'll get wrong results)

Play the open note

Play the 12th fret harmonic

If it's sharp, the string is too short and needs to be lengthened.

If it's flat the string needs shortened.

Adjust the saddle bridge (assuming you have 6 different saddle bridges) in the appropriate direction and repeat above until the harmonic and open are in tune.

You'll probably have to slacken the string to adjust the saddle.

Repeat for the other five strings.

If your tuner is working correctly, that should sort you out (assuming you can't drive a bus under your strings).

You should do this about once every month, or every time you change the strings, temperature changes and string usage play merry hell with intonation.

Idiots guide to sorting intonation for £0, no studio time, and no attitude problems.Just a decent tuner and appropriate screwdrivers, hex keys etc required, plus some patience.

The guitar didn't sound that bad to me at all.

Then you are deaf

Ollie you had better work on your guitar playing' date='[/quote']

Thats a good idea for any guitar player who wants to improve

invest thousands of pounds on a good guitar

I think most guitar players would like to play with decent kit

a proper tuner

he would appear to have one of those

some quality studio time

no point till the basics are sorted and the tunes are ready

and get a bit of attitude aswell!

No one can teach you or sell you that....if you aint got it....you aint got it.

G...

It depends, Ollie, if you want people to give you constructive criticism, as you asked, or if you just want praise from them. There seems to be a lot of constructive criticisim on here about your guitar been out of tune and other stuff. Perhaps it would be best to take these points on board to improve your band rathar than just goin 'WE'RE NOT SHIT!'.

It depends' date=' Ollie, if you want people to give you constructive criticism, as you asked, or if you just want praise from them. There seems to be a lot of constructive criticisim on here about your guitar been out of tune and other stuff. Perhaps it would be best to take these points on board to improve your band rathar than just goin 'WE'RE NOT SHIT!'.[/quote']

we are not shit and i have taken the comments on board and am aiming to do something about it. Thanks scenster 1 for your comment.

Guest Mr Blastcap

i dug the former minister stuff. cant see what the fuss is really.a lot of the time rough practice tapes sound more like the band than the eventual "proper" recording does, what with all that studio agro and pressure to get things right. generally its hard to take G seriously as he writes for the NME and has over 25 years experience in the industry- you should read his account of working on U2's frst demo "i knew they were unproffessional, as the singer was badly groomed and a quarter of the band had not tucked in thier shirts, as we all know this causes phase issues in the live room"

i dug the former minister stuff. cant see what the fuss is really.a lot of the time rough practice tapes sound more like the band than the eventual "proper" recording does' date=' what with all that studio agro and pressure to get things right. generally its hard to take G seriously as he writes for the NME and has over 25 years experience in the industry- you should read his account of working on U2's frst demo "i knew they were unproffessional, as the singer was badly groomed and a quarter of the band had not tucked in thier shirts, as we all know this causes phase issues in the live room"[/quote']

35yrs if you dont mind.....and i'll let you know I have worked 'quite happily' with a band who's singer insisted on wearing odd socks

I hate when people start hiding behind the whole punk ethic.....its just an excuse to be shite.

The above statement (the bit about shite) is not directed at any band neither current or in the past.

G...

Guest Mr Blastcap
35yrs if you dont mind.....and i'll let you know I have worked 'quite happily' with a band who's singer insisted on wearing odd socks

I hate when people start hiding behind the whole punk ethic.....its just an excuse to be shite.

The above statement (the bit about shite) is not directed at any band neither current or in the past.

G...

how did you get big writing? thats affy good.

Eh? What is a loose tuning? Is that not out of tune? And why only 5 strings?

im not techincally proficient in playing or talking about musical instruments/set ups etc

what i mean by a loose tuning is something in b etc on a six string, where the tuning is lower than standard, the strings are less "tight" and where the itonation is shot to fuck

hopefully that clears up this harrowing mess for you

i dont know why he plays with 5 strings

I can't listen to Ollie's songs since I only get internet connection at my work, but nobody seems to have commented if the song is any good? I get the impression that he's used a crazy tuning/is out of tune, but that shouldn't matter that much if the song is any good.

And on buying a jaguar, you could always buy a 2nd (japanese) hand one for around £400, fit a new bridge and p/ups and you'd be laughing... I've not played an American reissue, but I'd go for them being poo due to the badly designed bridge and gash p/ups still being there...

I can't listen to Ollie's songs since I only get internet connection at my work' date=' but nobody seems to have commented if the song is any good? I get the impression that he's used a crazy tuning/is out of tune, but that shouldn't matter that much if the song is any good.

And on buying a jaguar, you could always buy a 2nd (japanese) hand one for around 400, fit a new bridge and p/ups and you'd be laughing... I've not played an American reissue, but I'd go for them being poo due to the badly designed bridge and gash p/ups still being there...[/quote']

yes i use crazy tunings but the whole sounding out of tune thing isnt me trying to emualte sonic youth or anything, its supposed to sound wonky....

yes i use crazy tunings but the whole sounding out of tune thing isnt me trying to emualte sonic youth or anything' date=' its supposed to sound wonky....[/quote']

Care to share some of your tunings?