aberdeen-music

poor standards?

Guest MKII

Why are so many people putting up demo's that feature abysmal playing, for example...

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33011

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33036

Works in progress and so on are fine for giving others a general idea of what your band/songs sound like, but I just dont understand why anyone would wish to present their music to the public with such poorly played half assed recordings.

Demos dont have to be shit!

Your thoughts?

• Upvote 1

Guest Neubeatz
Why are so many people putting up demo's that feature abysmal playing' date=' for example...

[url']http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33011

Works in progress and so on are fine for giving others a general idea of what your band/songs sound like, but I just dont understand why anyone would wish to present their music to the public with such poorly played half assed recordings.

Your thoughts?

Home made hobbytime schlocko drek!!! is a little phrase that springs to mind...:D

hey I hope ya dont mean any DT tunes Phil, they are always works unprogressed :up:

Guest Mr Blastcap

get me a neck brace i'm incapacitated.

are we discussing the merits of lo-fi here or just rubbish bands ?

some o' my favourite cds are really badly recorded like guided by voices and the like, so quality and all that dont bother me really. i think bands should show the internet the contempt it deserves, listeners and users can opt in or opt out, thats the idea.

however, just to spoil my post i reckon 400 grand, bob rock, a big studio, all the best mic's etc and statue of misery would still sound the same, low quality is a great leveller in some ways.

• Upvote 1

Why are so many people putting up demo's that feature abysmal playing' date=' for example...

Your thoughts?

I wouldnt say its a demo as such , just an honest audio statement of what has been done. so far!

are we discussing the merits of lo-fi here or just rubbish bands ?

some o' my favourite cds are really badly recorded like guided by voices and the like' date=' so quality and all that dont bother me really. i think bands should show the internet the contempt it deserves, listeners and users can opt in or opt out, thats the idea.

however, just to spoil my post i reckon 400 grand, bob rock, a big studio, all the best mic's etc and statue of misery would still sound the same, low quality is a great leveller in some ways.[/quote']

I'm just meaning the actual playing.

Your thoughts?

Maybe they would appreciate some constructive criticism:help:

Perhaps a virtuoso like yourself could impart your wisdom and help them along the way:up:

Just calling it "shit" doesn't really help:down:

DZL

Virtuoso? :laughing: o_O

Nevermind' date=' I cant be bothered to explain exactly what I mean, just ignore this thread. :gringo:[/quote']

Surely such a well respected member of staff like yourself would take the time to offer constructive criticism and not just say something is shit without backing it up.

Guest Les Stroszek

I don't think its fair just to label it shit... far from it indeed there are a lot of encouraging sings there. However I know that it must be tempting to put out a demo on Myspace with the excitment of being in a new band but I feel that it would benefit you guys to work on the songs for a month or so more, work them out properly, get a better standard of recording done then put up new demos on your site to give people a proper impression of your band. Its best to take your time to get things right. Any band at this early stage is going to sound incomplete. There a lot of encouraging signs at this point though and I'm glad you've finally got something together after the nonesense we've been through with that stupid band so stick with it Ollie.

Surely such a well respected member of staff like yourself would take the time to offer constructive criticism and not just say something is shit without backing it up.

Ah, that's just an avatar, i'm not actually a member of staff. :p

Does anyone remember some band(Grant?) who put up a horrid recording of them at practice, that would be like an extreme version of what this thread is about.

I don't think its fair just to label it shit... far from it indeed there are a lot of encouraging sings there. However I know that it must be tempting to put out a demo on Myspace with the excitment of being in a new band but I feel that it would benefit you guys to work on the songs for a month or so more' date=' work them out properly, get a better standard of recording done then put up new demos on your site to give people a proper impression of your band. Its best to take your time to get things right. Any band at this early stage is going to sound incomplete. There a lot of encouraging signs at this point though and I'm glad you've finally got something together after the nonesense we've been through with that stupid band so stick with it Ollie.[/quote']

aye, mkII suggested that our actual playing was shit. I disagree with that totally. Timing maybe be off in places but its a recording at a practise! Thanks for you comments there les. However the band felt that there were good enough ideas in the songs as to let people hear wot we were doing. There has been positive feedback which backs that.

The sound isnt great but its not so shit that you cant hear wot we are doing. We werent being tempted cos we were a new band or anything. We will be working on the songs but this recording is a good impression of the band as youll get.

Guest Les Stroszek

Yeah the most important thing is that you do what you want anyway so good luck! It was funny hearing you sing properly couldn't have imagined that happening before but surprisingly it sounds ok! Can you make the 'First Song' downloadable too? EDIT: I think the drumbeat on Morag sounds like 'Love At First Sight' on the Lush best of cd.

I think that if band puts maximum effort into recording a demo it can sound good. You dont have to fork out and spend heaps getting into a recording studio, I have heard demo's done on four tracks which sound fine, if the band has spent time trying to get the sound right.

It does seem to me that a lot of bands just rush the recording demo's stage and this lead to what i would term, very rough sounding stuff.

www.lunarhq.co.uk

www.purevolume.com/lunaruk

I think you just have to remember that every local band will be disillusioned by themselves to some extent. What is good to these shitters is only good in the context of themselves and their friends who 'know' each other, aware of each others capabilites - which all generally amounts to being much more impressed than the listener who takes what you produce as it is, with no previous image of 'you' to go by. Another failure to look objectively at things.

The first song sounds very (exactly) like Star by Deadloss Superstar but played out of tune' date=' badly. You need to invest in a guitar tuner and a drummer or the current drummer needs to get in some serious practice.....never underestimate the importance of a good drummer.[/quote']

who are u reffering to?