aberdeen-music

Reputation & Rewards System - Phase 1

Neil

As no doubt some of you now noticed there are a few extra little details now appearing in the profile area of the screen next to each post you make in the forums. Yep, the user reputation system has been switched back on (formally called scene points if you can remember back a few months) but this time we have really put some thought into the system and are determined to make it work this time.

Why do we need this user reputation system? Quite simply so we can identify the users that make the most constructive contribution to this web site as well as give new users some guidance and incentive on how also to also become users with a good reputation. No doubt you have many questions about how this system all hangs together and so I have created the following new FAQ articles that should go some way to answering these:

- What is the user reputation system?

- How can I improve my reputation total?

- What is reputation influence for?

Assuming the user reputation system settles down successfully within the online community and proves to be effective then we will implement phase 2 in the coming months. Phase 2 will be the unveiling of the rewards that members with a good reputation will or can become entitled to receiving.

As before, this system is switched on by default for all new users but you can decide to opt out of the system by switching it off within your control panel settings. However, please be aware that this new user reputation system is not the same as the old scene points system. There are many differences so please read the FAQ articles above to fully understand what these differences are before dishing out reputation comments!

As always, if you have any questions then please post them as replies in this thread. Discussion about the user reputation system elsewhere will be moved, closed or deleted at the staff's discretion.

This system sounds a lot better but it confuses me a little:

The reputation points that i leave for people will not count until 1 of these 3 things have happened:

1 reputation influence point is gained for every consecutive year the member has been registered on aberdeen-music.

1 reputation influence point is gained for every 500 posts the member has made on aberdeen-music. Remember posts made in The Wasteland and Testing forums don't contribute to this post count!

1 reputation influence point is gained for every 50 positive reputation points you have been given by other members.

Is thar right? Seeing as i have been posting for a year now, it will allow the reputation points that i leave to contribute on peoples total?

Edit: Wow i have 2 influence points and a reputation of 18 - how did that happen?

Hopefully this wont turn into 'hey you slagged off my mates band *clicks negative multiple times*.

Looks like this only effects regular members; not staff or spupporters.

In the interests of fairness and impartiality Staff are exempt from the system (they can neither receive nor give reputation comments) but Supporters, Sponsors and Regular Members can all use the system.

Could I suggest that writing an article should automatically give you more influence/reputation points? I've no idea to the complexity of that, but it seems that contributing something to the site should have more of a direct benefit to the user, rather than relying on others to give the benefits to you?

Is there anyway to view all my comments other than tracking down the post that the comments been made on and clicking the star?

And where does it tell you who made them, because all mine just seem to be comments with no name.

Edit - I've just answered my own question in 30 seconds. For anyone as stupid as me, you can see them by going to your Control Panel.

• Upvote 1

First small tweak to the user reputation system has been made as follows:

1 reputation influence point is gained for every 50 positive reputation points you have been given by other members.

Has now become:

1 reputation influence point is gained for every 100 positive reputation points you have been given by other members.

People are racking up reputation points quicker than I expected hence this slight change to slow things down a bit.

Had a quick review of the reputation comments that have been left so far and I'm happy to report that the majority of them are both positive and constructive. Keep it up folks. :)

• 1 month later...
If you get one reputation point for each consecutive year registered' date=' and I've been a member since march 2004 (2 years ago, unless I'm in the middle of a nasty hallucination...), how come my influence is still at zero?[/quote']

Good question. I'll look into that and get back to you...

• 2 weeks later...
Neil' date=' can you only see what the last few were given for and from whom?[/quote']

Yep, it's limited to the last 10 to stop your control panel filling up with lot's of reputation feedback.

Any news on this? I know it doesn't matter but that 0 just looks so... empty... And I only reply when I have something constructive to say so I don't have that many posts or anything to make it go up another way

I've had a good look at this and I can't understand what's happening! You should indeed at least have some reputation power (2 points minimum by my calculations) but why you don't I simply don't know. Have you ever had any problems with your account on here? Have you had it renamed in the past? And have you left reputation comments for anyone?