aberdeen-music

Rick Rubin to produce new Metallica Album

jonty84

Au contraire. I think it tells you all you need to know about a band when the question of whether they're good or not hinges on the PRODUCTION' date=' and even the bloody snare sound, on their albums. That goes for the likes of PiL and the Cocteau Twins, too.[/quote']

That's one of the stupidest things I've heard on this thread (until Rune popped up), even more so given that the criticism of St Anger earlier on focused on more than just the production. The main problems seem to be song length, strength of tunes and lack of guitar solos.

PS If anyone has the gall to say those are production issues, then only as much so as it would be to replace all vocals on Sgt Peppers with morbidly obese builders breaking wind into the microphone, and substitute the guitars for the sound of blackboards being scraped. In that case all albums hinge on the production.

Au contraire. I think it tells you all you need to know about a band when the question of whether they're good or not hinges on the PRODUCTION' date=' and even the bloody snare sound, on their albums. That goes for the likes of PiL and the Cocteau Twins, too..[/quote']That's one of the stupidest things I've heard on this thread (until Rune popped up), even more so given that the criticism of St Anger earlier on focused on more than just the production. The main problems seem to be song length, strength of tunes and lack of guitar solos.

PS If anyone has the gall to say those are production issues, then only as much so as it would be to replace all vocals on Sgt Peppers with morbidly obese builders breaking wind into the microphone, and substitute the guitars for the sound of blackboards being scraped. In that case all albums hinge on the production.

Thanks to the above post courtesy of Mr Popcorn Fiend, I need not reply to Steve Temple's comment. Well said sir.

That's one of the stupidest things I've heard on this thread (until Rune popped up)' date=' even more so given that the criticism of St Anger earlier on focused on more than just the production. The main problems seem to be song length, strength of tunes and lack of guitar solos.

PS If anyone has the gall to say those are production issues, then only as much so as it would be to replace all vocals on Sgt Peppers with morbidly obese builders breaking wind into the microphone, and substitute the guitars for the sound of blackboards being scraped. In that case all albums hinge on the production.[/quote']

Nice post. Disagree on strength of tune...I think they are good.

That's one of the stupidest things I've heard on this thread (until Rune popped up)' date=' even more so given that the criticism of St Anger earlier on focused on more than just the production. The main problems seem to be song length, strength of tunes and lack of guitar solos.

PS If anyone has the gall to say those are production issues, then only as much so as it would be to replace all vocals on Sgt Peppers with morbidly obese builders breaking wind into the microphone, and substitute the guitars for the sound of blackboards being scraped. In that case all albums hinge on the production.[/quote']

I could quote all the criticism based on production...but I'm so ashamed that I posted on a Metallica thread in the 1st place, that I'm away to self-flagellate

Personally' date=' they should have kept Dave Mustaine as Megadeth's 'The system has failed' is a brilliant example of a matured musical career.[/quote']

Although I agree with you in terms of your faith in Mustaine's songwriting - that would have been the worst thing ever to happen to music* - cos if Mustaine hadn't have been booted from Metallica, there would have been no megadeth.

And a world without Megadeth? I don't even want to begin imagining what that would be like... :D

*I know this is an exaggeration.