aberdeen-music

Rick Rubin to produce new Metallica Album

jonty84

Hopefully this is a sign that the new album might actually be decent, unlike the last four. Anybody listened to St Anger recently? Thought not.

Mike

I have actually listened to it recently. It's a shame that the production is so poor, because some of the material isn't too bad.

Regarding the new album, I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully they'll let Kirk get his guitars back so he can actually do something this time!

I saw some pictures of him playing Telecasters... maybe we'll get some rockin' blues solos :rockon:

:up:

• Upvote 1

Actaully, although the prodtucion on st anger wasn't great - I think it's really good. enjoy listening to it.

As four the last four being crap? What? So..load, reload, and black album Possible s&m as well if you count it? I think not - all brilliant albums.

Metallica have been making metal for over 20 years..surely they have the right to try new things...? I have noticed that since the end of the st anger world tour they have stopped playing any st anger songs in their set lists - which is a shame because i think there are some real corkers on it!

ho hum...

Actaully' date=' although the prodtucion on st anger wasn't great - I think it's really good. enjoy listening to it.

As four the last four being crap? What? So..load, reload, and black album Possible s&m as well if you count it? I think not - all brilliant albums.

Metallica have been making metal for over 20 years..surely they have the right to try new things...? I have noticed that since the end of the st anger world tour they have stopped playing any st anger songs in their set lists - which is a shame because i think there are some real corkers on it!

ho hum...[/quote']

load, while it had some good songs on it, was generally shit. reload was better but Metallica haven't made a really great album since the black album.

Actaully' date=' although the prodtucion on st anger wasn't great - I think it's really good. enjoy listening to it.

ho hum...[/quote']

Totally agreed.

My Dad loves St.Anger....

I hated the drum sound at first but it grows on you...the songs are a bit boring but its different to the rest of the metal albums around so wins points for that I suppose....

Rick Rubin is a legend....even though he is responsible for the awful "Fight for your right to party" sounding like the worst 80's cheese ever....

I hated the drum sound at first but it grows on you...the .

that has to be a "hard core fan" speaking from within?

It's hard to say that one of your all time favourite bands is turning shit, I know, it's happened to a few of mine...

I can name a few :

mogwai

sigur ros (although the new LP is a damn sight less arsey than ( ) )

GYBE!

fudge tunnel

the list does go on....sadly.

I think Rick Ruben at the helm will be amazing, I might even consider purchasing this metallica Lp....

I do actually like St Anger (well, some of it), and I have ears. But Rick Rubin as producer is definitely fantastic news, I think a break from Bob Rock was definitely needed, he seemed far too close to the band on Some Kind of Monster to maintain a perspective that you'd expect from a big-name producer. Plus I can't name any other decent band he's produced in the last 10 years. Rick Rubin, on the other hand, has a pretty darned fine record...

• Upvote 1

bob rock is producing the new lostprophets album, that should be pretty interesting/funny.

i actually really like st anger, i even really like the production on it. i've been listening to it a lot these past couple of weeks and its great! its got a real skater/surf vibe to it, kinda like stoner rock but metal.

also, i've heard similar sounding snares on records, no one moaned about it then, so i have no idea why people got so offended by it? lighten up, its only noise! the people who moaned about st anger would have just complained if it sounded like any other metallica album so go figure...

Hopefully they'll let Kirk get his guitars back so he can actually do something this time!

a news article on ultimateguitar.com had an interview with him at one point and solos will be back.

oh and st anger is ok, i think its better than load/reload.

This is fucking bizarre.... not that Rick rubin is producing Metallica, but because I read this article on Saturday in The Guardian - check out the piece I've highlighted........

Diamonds in the rough

Music producer Rick Rubin has garnered critical and popular acclaim with the simple strategy of stripping back an artist's material. John Robinson imagines putting the plan to work

Saturday February 18, 2006

The Guardian

The recent release of the Johnny Cash biopic Walk The Line has done a great deal to stir up memories of the man we are now obligated to call The Man In Black. There have been fond reminiscences (he was "an American landmark"), and some great anecdotes (how he was arrested for picking flowers, and, best of all "burned down a mountain"). What's most remarkable, however, is that when we remember Cash, we're not only remembering someone who died in his eighth decade, but someone who died at his creative peak.

A large part of the reason we remember him like that is down to record producer Rick Rubin. A producer of curious character (despite his high profile successes he is regarded as "humble"), curious taste (he is guru to Rivers Cuomo of the rock band Weezer), and a taker of curious commissions (he has worked on the new album by Justin Timberlake), Rubin's approach, on the surface, remains incredibly simple. He strips back an artist's material. And usually - as he's proved with acts from Jay-Z to the Red Hot Chili Peppers - that's just what their audience wants from that artist.

Most recently, Rubin has provided the service for Neil Diamond. The result of nearly 10 years' pursuit of the artist by the producer, Diamond's new album 12 Songs takes this renowned showman back to an era before he wore glittering jumpsuits, and back to his roots as a singer-songwriter. In places, it's a pretty good record. But whatever its successes, its chief function is as a jumping-off point for speculation. Now he's done Neil Diamond, which other gilded lilies would most benefit from the "Rubin treatment"?

It's a tantalising pastime. Imagine a Richard Ashcroft album that strips the man's sound back, Cash-style, to its roots in acoustic guitar and charisma. No strings? Amazing! Or a Metallica album where Rubin's zen-like command of the sessions encourages the band to actually write some songs, which he then records as brutally as he did Slayer's Reign In Blood, in 1986? Unthinkable! Having produced Jagger solo, what about the possibility, remote though it must surely be, of a decent, Rubin-designed, Rolling Stones album?

All right, maybe we shouldn't get carried away. But rock fantasist's wish list though this undoubtedly is, Rubin's is the kind of talent which encourages it - it offers a kind of winding back of the clock, and can seem to take an artist back to a point before the plot was lost, and their talent obscured by bad albums and ham-fisted string arrangements. It can appear to take them back to when they were good.

Sadly, there's a good reason why some of the items on the list above are destined to remain unfulfilled. You don't have to be old to get Rick Rubin involved, or take his call - Jay-Z used him for 99 Problems when he was right on top of his game - but you do have to be smart enough to leave your ego out of it. Not to mention wise enough to recognise just how badly you might need rejuvenation in the first place.

I didn't really like St Anger... but I did like Load and Reload and everything else Metallica have done. In MY opinion, St Anger lacked a number of things; Production (ok, some people like it but I HATE that snare sound), Song length/strucure (3/4 minute songs being played for 7/8 minutes), NO solos or guitar harmonies (Oops. At least that doesn't totally date the album as a nu-metal album...)

However, I recently listened to And Justice For All and it reminded me that Metallica are indeed one of the greatest bands ever.

• Upvote 1

Mmmm' date=' Metallica. They'e had some good albums I'll give them that, I used to be a huge fan till I saw them live, I was soooo disapointed,and then I was stupid enough to think it must of been a duff gig and waste my money going to see them again! Stupid fool that I am! They can't play - simple as that.[/quote']

I saw them at earls court - what a fanstic gig it wa too. Brilliant.

dan atom - yes, they are one of the best ever - which adds to my original point that since they've been ploughing out amazing stuff for ages...they can surely experiment how they want?

Like st anger, or hate st anger - Metallica are legends.

• Upvote 1

However' date=' I recently listened to And Justice For All and it reminded me that Metallica are indeed one of the greatest bands ever.[/quote']

AJFA is pish - where's the bass guitar??? Master of Puppets is their finest moment.

Having said that, the best time I saw them live was on the "Justice" tour (second best was at Donington '91, worst at SECC on the black album tour).

it's been over 15 years since they realeased anything of note, to be honest. Here's hoping Rubin can make something worthwhile out of them.

AJFA is pish - where's the bass guitar??? Master of Puppets is their finest moment.

EDIT - Production on AJFA was reasonably pish - the songs were their best, Kirk's playing was his best (despite him having one of the thinnest lead tones in the universe of everness) and that Jason was inaudible.

Other than that - AJFA for Prez!

:up:

Or on the other hand it isn't pish at all. If I was being diplomatic I would agree and say Master Of Puppets is actually their greatest achievement. HOWEVER... And justice for all;

It doesn't matter that there is no bass on that album, the guitar tone is crushing - possibly the heaviest ever album I can think of using standard tuning. Hetfield's vocals had matured considerably since puppets and kirk's playing (like Angel of Death said) was at it's best. Lars' drumming was great - even though the drum sound isn't that fantastic.

I love that album - when my cousin first let me hear Blackened all those years ago I didn't even know music could be that heavy.