aberdeen-music

Smoke free pubs

GraemeC

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a smoker and although i am dreading the day the ban comes in, i must admit that i think less people will start. I started smoking when i was drunk with friends (in bars) and now i smoke between 20 and 30 a day. Although i am going to quit when the ban comes through, the ban is not all good news.

The main thing i worry about is sending every drunk person out onto the streets to smoke rather than having designated areas. If you have 200 drunk people out on the streets of Glasgow (just using that as an example as i live there) can you honestly say that there will not be a rise in violence?

And as for the NHS, well, there will of course be a good 20 year over lap where the money lost from the smoking ban (the NHS makes a great deal of it's money through the sale of tabacco) and the amount of people being treated for smoking related problems will damage the NHS, but hey, we can cross that bridge when we come to it.

At the end of the day, we will only be able to judge the loss or gain of this new law as time passes but with any luck there will be fewer smokers.

xxx

The guy that used to do my job (for 26 years) didn't smoke, and neither did his partner. Now he has a serious problem with his chest that are directly related, in fact CAUSED, by passive smoking. It doesn't happen to everyone, but it shouldn't have to happen to anyone. Chronic asthma is a statistically significant cause of serious illness and death amongst long-term bar workers.

Well then they should make it legal to smoke cannabis in pubs by your logic.

If you were a non smoker it'd be a whole different story. Trust me. You can't use the excuse "they get to do so and so' date=' so why can't we smoke?"

The reason they are banning it because smoky pubs are VERY unpleasant for non smokers.

There is one solution...quit smoking. I dare you.[/quote']

Cannabis is not a legal drug which the Government allows to be sold in shops, allows people to become addicted to and makes a fortune in taxes out of. There's a pretty big difference.

Would you agree with a drinking limit, so that we could eliminate the possibility of drink-drivers knocking over pedestrians, or people getting drunk and violent, or to protect people from alcohol poisoning?

I'm sure it's very unpleasant for people who are run-over, or attacked or someway injured at the hands of irresponsible drinkers, so would you happily have a drinking limit 'just incase'?

From a purely selfish point of view, I'm upset about the smoking ban. As a smoker I simply like a smoke with my pint.

I'm aware that non-smokers don't like the smell of smoke, I just don't care. I had the upper hand by being allowed to smoke in bars and I'm gutted because I'm losing that right. As simple as that.

So who do I have to vote for to get the ban turned around? That's what I want to know.

Having had this argument with people (usually my boyfriend) countless times, I now say "Yes, I'm in favour of a ban becuse it will be nice, from my point of view" in the hopes that it will put a premptive stop on any debate. There's no point arguing, it's not really the type of thing where you can change people's opinions.

Finally, I'll be able to go into Exodus for the whole night and not have to burn my infected clothes the next day!

(NB)

EDIT:

From a purely selfish point of view' date=' I'm upset about the smoking ban. As a smoker I simply like a smoke with my pint.

I'm aware that non-smokers don't like the smell of smoke, I just don't care. I had the upper hand by being allowed to smoke in bars and I'm gutted because I'm losing that right. As simple as that.

So who do I have to vote for to get the ban turned around? That's what I want to know.[/quote']

Maybe this is a good thing - because evidence suggests that drinking and smoking together is a mean motherfucker to your body

smokeanddrink6xh.jpg

Guest Jake Wifebeater
I'm aware that non-smokers don't like the smell of smoke' date=' I just don't care. I had the upper hand by being allowed to smoke in bars and I'm gutted because I'm losing that right. As simple as that. [/quote']

Agree 100%. I know the dangers of smoking, I choose to smoke because I enjoy it. If I'm disregarding my own health, why am I expected to care about yours?

The coming ban is going to prove a piece of unworkable nonsense. Things will get interesting on Windmill Brae, with the Moshulu crowd and the Drum crowd nipping out for a smoke.

It's in my workplace that it will prove most farcical of all. We still don't know 100% what will go down, but at the moment it looks like residents can continue to smoke in the designated areas, since it is their home, but staff have to go outside and be 6 metres at least away from the building. Fucking hell, that makes me feel valued.

Even so, the ban doesn't really put me up nor down. You adjust, that's all. When I quit it'll be my choice and mine alone.

Yeh me.

As Eddie Izzard said "No smoking pubs...soon to be no drinking' date=' or no talking either".[/quote']

Horse shit

Sex offenders can get teaching jobs,

Not if they are known to be sex offenders..... oh and they cant smoke in school.

you can drive dangerously and get off with a fine and a slap on the wrist, but you can't go into a fucking PUB and have a cigarette.

or you'll get a fine and slap on the wrist

Fag ends and drunks spilling onto Union Street at 2am.

Whats new there then?

Anyone have a reasonable argument against giving Pub owners the option of creating smoking and non-smoking sections? I'm yet to hear one.

There are quite a few, what happens to the pubs that dont have the money or facility to create a smokers section?

Do you think youngsters who have mates that smoke are going to sit in the non-smoker section and vice versa?

The pubs who do create a smoking section, who do they pass on the cost of conversion to? correct, the drinkers.

No one used the term "Our world is now saved".

Inhaling other peoples smoke is unpleasant' date=' offensive and bad for your health - FACT.

Fair enough I already mentioned in my previous post about the tobacco sales generating revenue, but perhaps you oughta take into consideration the huge amount the NHS has to spend on treating people with diseases directly caused by smoking. It's pretty big.

Lung Cancer - usually presents so late that when diagnosed, nothing can be done, and currently 1 in 10 smokers will get lung cancer. So if you have 9 friends who smoke, and you smoke... then chances are, one of you will go on to get a great big tumour in your lungs - yay!

Emphysema and COPD - directly related to smoking, when the tissues of your lungs basically start to break down so your ability to breathe is vastly impaired - often by up to 75% of predicted volume - very nasty disease and requires lifetime care.

Heart Disease - Smoking is a proven risk factor, the heart disease rate in this country is sometimes referred to as the one thing Scotland does well, we've got one of the highest rates of death from heart disease in Europe.

You may think it's the "beginning of the end", I see it as the one thing the exec's done right in a while.[/color']

There is absolutely no conclusive proof that passive smoking causes cancer.

Nevertheless, I am in favour of the ban (although, would have been much more sensible on a voluntary basis). It will be easier for me (a social smoker) to give up. And like you say, waking up not reeking of fags would be nice. You'll also be able to scan out a nightclub for totty without smoke obscuring your view.

What I want to know is:

A) What will happen with all the ashtrays?

B) What'll happen to the cigarette vending machine companies?

c) Will the price of cigarettes rocket in price in anticipation for a 2% decrease in smokers?

Yourself. The MPs bar in Westminster is exempt.

Vote Carl S. Berg!

You might laugh but I almost stood for the local elections in 1997 or 1998 under the name Vincent Van Goth! (The reason I couldn't was because I hadn't been a party member long enough. ) This was for the Official Monster Raving Looney Party of which I'm a fully paid up member.

Guest bluesxman

Drinking alcohol in excess may well be harmful to the body but someone choosing to drink doesn't cause an ill effect on those around them, unlike someone choosing to smoke, how hard can that be to grasp.

It tastes like soap and makes you want to throw up if inhaled in large doses. I've seen people putting their mouth to the nozzle before now hoping to get a hit. As far as I know' date=' though, it's non-toxic.[/quote']

hmmm, so if you can get non toxic smoke, couldn't you get non toxic cigarettes?

I love the smokers "argument" that because smokers will be forced out of the pubs, their childeren will be subject to "more smoke"...

well, shouldn't those smoking bastards be at home looking after the kids in the first place?!

or are they only talking about the "once a month" they pop out to the pub for a sly fag, while the "kids" are looked after by a baby sitter?

once again, a wonderful, logical argument from some desperate addicted people.