aberdeen-music

Smoke free pubs

GraemeC

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeh me.

As Eddie Izzard said "No smoking pubs...soon to be no drinking, or no talking either".

Sex offenders can get teaching jobs, you can drive dangerously and get off with a fine and a slap on the wrist, but you can't go into a fucking PUB and have a cigarette.

Fag ends and drunks spilling onto Union Street at 2am.

Anyone have a reasonable argument against giving Pub owners the option of creating smoking and non-smoking sections? I'm yet to hear one.

Works fine in restaurants.

I've never even caught a sniff of someones smoke in a no smoking area of a restaurant.

People could sit with their non-smoking friends, and then pop over to the smoking section for a cigarette as opposed to having to stand outside in the rain and dirty up the city centre even more than it already is at the weekend by student's vomit and discarded flyers.

Yeh me.

As Eddie Izzard said "No smoking pubs...soon to be no drinking' date=' or no talking either".

Sex offenders can get teaching jobs, you can drive dangerously and get off with a fine and a slap on the wrist, but you can't go into a fucking PUB and have a cigarette.

Fag ends and drunks spilling onto Union Street at 2am.

Anyone have a reasonable argument against giving Pub owners the option of creating smoking and non-smoking sections? I'm yet to hear one.[/quote']

Well then they should make it legal to smoke cannabis in pubs by your logic.

If you were a non smoker it'd be a whole different story. Trust me. You can't use the excuse "they get to do so and so, so why can't we smoke?"

The reason they are banning it because smoky pubs are VERY unpleasant for non smokers.

There is one solution...quit smoking. I dare you.

I can handle my friends smoking around me, generally it doesn't bother me too much. What I hate though, is getting up the day after a night out and having my hair and all my clothes reek of stale fag smoke.

Plus having seen the effects of smoking when it comes to Cancer and COPD... yer, I'm pretty glad the ban's coming in.

Can't wait in fact.

Yes people have a right to smoke, you have a right to put all those chemicals in your own body, but non-smokers also have a right not to have their lungs blackened by passive smoke when they go out for a drink in the pub with their friends.

I'm actually quite impressed the Scottish Exec are putting it in before Westminster have, England and Wales have majorly dragged their feet over it, but then again tax revenue they gain from tobacco sales might have a wee bit to do with that...

I'm really pleased about the smoking ban, I used to smoke but I don't anymore. Now smoke in pubs really bothers my throat and I don't want to smell. But more importantly, I'm glad because it might help people to stop. My partner smokes - not heavily - but it still is a constant worry.

Anybody that disagrees with the smoking ban - go and smoke outside ye twits. Nobody likes your smell.

a non smokers view shouldnt be taken into account wether smoking should be banned as thats like asking us non junkys what we should do with the junkys.... or us non neds what would we like to do to neds...

Anyway a non smoking law will not make everything ok and if u think this you are nieve.....ok us as adults will no longer smoke in front of each other we will now all sit in the house on a friday saturday night and have a few drinks and smoke in front of the kids.... AYE GOOD FUCKING GOING.........

Cracks me up the government makes so much fucking money out of tobacco but becasue they now introduce smoking bans people who dont smoke stand up and be counted......

i know this board has a few politicly minded individuals and tbh i respect most of there views and politics,But to make a post under the dilusiion our world is now saved is FUCKING STUPID.......

Lets concentrate on what makes our universe a scarey place and crack down on the real problems not be fucking douped and blinfolded by "new legislation"........

in 10years time when my children are reflecting on the terrorism/Politcial scandals and general corruption we live in atm im sure the highlght of good isnt gonna be "ahhh but they did ban smoking in public"

This is the beginning of the end .............. i read theres a new law coming about offensive slogans and the like.You may have seen some of them on tv "kill all who slate allah" etc now if they push this law through and get public banning this also means 'joe blogs' cant wear t-shirts or any other clothing with offensive material or anything that doesnt meet government standards....Meaning in a few more years will we actually be in control of our day to day behaviours...

No one used the term "Our world is now saved".

Inhaling other peoples smoke is unpleasant, offensive and bad for your health - FACT.

Fair enough I already mentioned in my previous post about the tobacco sales generating revenue, but perhaps you oughta take into consideration the huge amount the NHS has to spend on treating people with diseases directly caused by smoking. It's pretty big.

Lung Cancer - usually presents so late that when diagnosed, nothing can be done, and currently 1 in 10 smokers will get lung cancer. So if you have 9 friends who smoke, and you smoke... then chances are, one of you will go on to get a great big tumour in your lungs - yay!

Emphysema and COPD - directly related to smoking, when the tissues of your lungs basically start to break down so your ability to breathe is vastly impaired - often by up to 75% of predicted volume - very nasty disease and requires lifetime care.

Heart Disease - Smoking is a proven risk factor, the heart disease rate in this country is sometimes referred to as the one thing Scotland does well, we've got one of the highest rates of death from heart disease in Europe.

You may think it's the "beginning of the end", I see it as the one thing the exec's done right in a while.

...then pop over to the smoking section for a cigarette as opposed to having to stand outside in the rain and dirty up the city centre even more than it already is at the weekend by student's vomit and discarded flyers.

Then they should put their cigarette ends in the bin after them instead of making a mess of the ground as well. If smokers make a mess outside pubs then it's hardly the councils/smoking ban's fault, is it?

..ok us as adults will no longer smoke in front of each other we will now all sit in the house on a friday saturday night and have a few drinks and smoke in front of the kids.... AYE GOOD FUCKING GOING.....

What? Are you serious? Are you actually blaming this on the smoking ban and not on the parents who have a choice whether they smoke in front of their kids? They're not being forced to smoke anywhere - there's just a few less places they can smoke.

No one used the term "Our world is now saved".

Inhaling other peoples smoke is unpleasant' date=' offensive and bad for your health - FACT.

Fair enough I already mentioned in my previous post about the tobacco sales generating revenue, but perhaps you oughta take into consideration the huge amount the NHS has to spend on treating people with diseases directly caused by smoking. It's pretty big.

Lung Cancer - usually presents so late that when diagnosed, nothing can be done, and currently 1 in 10 smokers will get lung cancer. So if you have 9 friends who smoke, and you smoke... then chances are, one of you will go on to get a great big tumour in your lungs - yay!

Emphysema and COPD - directly related to smoking, when the tissues of your lungs basically start to break down so your ability to breathe is vastly impaired - often by up to 75% of predicted volume - very nasty disease and requires lifetime care.

Heart Disease - Smoking is a proven risk factor, the heart disease rate in this country is sometimes referred to as the one thing Scotland does well, we've got one of the highest rates of death from heart disease in Europe.

You may think it's the "beginning of the end", I see it as the one thing the exec's done right in a while.[/color']

LOL

See this is exactly what i mean all very good ONESIDED points you make there

That works both ways my dear as the ammount of tax paid towards tobaco was used to fund the nhs....

Again a good point heart desease is scotland highest death rate but where did you get the FACT thats its due to tobaco .. its our diets and drinkng habits and lifestyles ill think you will find ...Scots are also the obese capital of europe thats fags anaw aye?

As i say of course non smokers will now stand up and be counted as they have nothing to lose.. Im also not saying its not 100% a good idea but i do not believe we will see a decrease in tobaco sales ...if paying a 5 for something thats gonna kill u doesnt make you wanna stop neither will banning it in public ...All that will happen is we will evolve to be more house bound....Internet and banning laws will make sure of this....

i also dont believe we will see a decrease in passive smoking related illness's as does everyone now think its illegal in public we gonna be sneaking away and smoking in private rooms or something..... if you feel you are taking in to much passive smoke in your local pub maybe its about time you evaluate how much of your life you are spending in the damn pub......

I actually know people who have worked all there lifes and believe fags ae there only luxury in life........

(speaking shite now)

What? Are you serious? Are you actually blaming this on the smoking ban and not on the parents who have a choice whether they smoke in front of their kids? They're not being forced to smoke anywhere - there's just a few less places they can smoke.

OMFG

sorry mate but did you never see your parents smoke or did anyone never see there parents smoke does this make our parents bad people... if smokers enjoy smoking but cant do it when there out they wil simply stay home and smoke....there will be more social gethers in homes than out and about.....if you have kids and you smoke in another room from where the kids are this is not a deterent on protecting them from passive smoking its a pyscological mind trick.... you convince yourself its not being done in the same room so wont hurt them...

Again a good point heart desease is scotland highest death rate but where did you get the FACT thats its due to tobaco .. its our diets and drinkng habits and lifestyles ill think you will find ...Scots are also the obese capital of europe thats fags anaw aye?

I believe you misquoted me' date=' I didn't say it was due to tobacco, if you read that section you'll see I said it's a [b']proven risk factor. If you smoke, you're 3 times as likely to die from a heart attack. FACT.

Look up the Framingham study if you're in any doubt of this.

i also dont believe we will see a decrease in passive smoking related illness's as does everyone now think its illegal in public we gonna be sneaking away and smoking in private rooms or something..... if you feel you are taking in to much passive smoke in your local pub maybe its about time you evaluate how much of your life you are spending in the damn pub......

So what you're saying is people who don't smoke have less right to go to the pub than smokers do?

I actually know people who have worked all there lifes and believe fags ae there only luxury in life........

These people need to get a hobby.

(speaking shite now)

Yes, yes you are.

These people need to get a hobby

These people are elderly people and only hobby they have is going down to there local club or local pub to whittle away there lifes.......so yeah maybe they do need a hobby but after working all there lifes maybe they feel they dont need a hobbie.

what causes more of a public nuisence smoking or drinking in public?

what causes more deaths per year smoking or drinking in public?

what causes more funds to be spent every single tax year smoking or drinking in public?

i will probably stop smoking after march as its a filthy bloody habit that kills ...i do not have to see this banning in public as a good idea..i truely think its one more step to being controlled.

Can you not understand the simple statement that while people do have a right to smoke, non-smokers also have a right to breathe clean air?

Tell you what, when you've met COPD patients in their 60s who smoked all their life and now as a result cannot even get out of a chair without relying on Oxygen and their one regret is starting smoking when they were 13... then perhaps you'll actually get where I'm coming from.

Tell you what, when you've met COPD patients in their 60s who smoked all their life and now as a result cannot even get out of a chair without relying on Oxygen and their one regret is starting smoking when they were 13... then perhaps you'll actually get where I'm coming from.

Thats my gran and my grandad before he died ..thing is smoking in public places had no impact on whether they started smoking or not (its always been illegal to smoke at school in public places ) but thats how the majority starts .. also my gran hasnt smoked out with her house in her whole life as shes of the times where ladys shouldnt smoke in public.

i also have care workers in my family my mum works for a retirment home and is full of oldies who cant move or breath without oxygen some due to smoking some due to being exposed to toxins at the work place.

i remeber the days you could smoke anywhere and they introduced the law about smoking on public transport,this was big news and everyone had a view but nothing changed.

i remeber when restuarants and the like where forced to have seperate places for smoking and non smoking again was big news.things where going to get better. It didnt.

and as for me being an asshole mate thats your opinon and your entitled to it.

Then having said all that you'd think you'd get where I was coming from.

I'm not disillusioned in thinking the ban will have a major major impact on people giving up smoking, although quite a few folk have said they probably will, I just think that there's nothing worse than having smoke blown in your face when you're a non-smoker and it'll be great to be able to go out to the pub from 26th March onwards and not experience that.

OMFG

sorry mate but did you never see your parents smoke or did anyone never see there parents smoke does this make our parents bad people... if smokers enjoy smoking but cant do it when there out they wil simply stay home and smoke....there will be more social gethers in homes than out and about.....if you have kids and you smoke in another room from where the kids are this is not a deterent on protecting them from passive smoking its a pyscological mind trick.... you convince yourself its not being done in the same room so wont hurt them...

A psychological mind trick? Sorry, you've lost me...