aberdeen-music

The Aliens (Feat Members of Beta Band and Divine Comedy)

Jamesy

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the Edinburgh show last night and it was ferkin ace.

Mammal (or whatever they're called) weren't really my thing. Too much bleeping.

Pip Dylan was his usual amazing self. New stuff sounding great live. Superb entertainer.

The Aliens were wonderfully shambolic, kind of like a psychedelic version of the Beta Band. Gordon kept it together despite a number of stop-starts and feedback problems.

Can't wait to do this again tonight.

Went to the Edinburgh show last night and it was ferkin ace.

Mammal (or whatever they're called) weren't really my thing. Too much bleeping.

Pip Dylan was his usual amazing self. New stuff sounding great live. Superb entertainer.

The Aliens were wonderfully shambolic' date=' kind of like a psychedelic version of the Beta Band. Gordon kept it together despite a number of stop-starts and feedback problems.

Can't wait to do this again tonight.[/quote']

pretty much sums up last night's gig as well.

mammel were indeed on at 7:30 - and for 25 mins we weren't sure if they were soundchecking or just pissing around. wasn't impressed, basically.

Pip was great - better than when he played the Tunnels with King Biscuit Time.

Quite enjoyed The Aliens - would like to hear the EP when it's released.

Not particaulry impressed with Moshulu as a venue though - the "stage" seems a bit haphazard and almost an afterthought & the size of the place kills any atmosphere if it's not that busy.

Enjoyed the gig again. Missed mammal totally (no bad thing) and felt a bit bad for Pip. He must have felt a bit lonely up there.

I feel the Aliens were better in Edinburgh to be honest, maybe it was a hometown thing. A lot more things went wrong last night. Still thoroughly enjoyed it though. 'Only Waiting' was superb. I'd like to see them again in a year's time when they've pulled it together a bit more.

Similar to the post above, I left pretty unimpressed with the venue, or maybe choice of venue. Could this have not been moved to somewhere more suitable like The Tunnels (I know there was another gig there, but how long has this one been announced?) There seemed numerous sound problems and it seemed to affect the band as well.

It was a great gig, at a great venue. Yeah it was quiet, but the people on the dancefloor get bags of atmosphere.

It really felt like the start of something, I reckon the band will go on to be just as big as the beta band and deservedly so.

If you missed the gig you can here tracks from the band on Northsound 1 this Sunday from 7.

Also tracks from the new Skin album and some new Fratellis stuff.

al

but the people on the dancefloor get bags of atmosphere.

Can't say I agree with that at all. The fifty or so folk got plenty space to move about, but very little atmosphere.

The band had very little to bounce off, compared to a packed show the night before, where it was visibly apparent that the band thrived off the vibe from the audience.

I'd much rather go to a packed out show in a smaller venue, than a practically empty one in a larger venue.

I would imagine most folk playing in bands would feel that way too. (or am I wrong?)

It was a great gig' date=' at a great venue. Yeah it was quiet, but the people on the dancefloor get bags of atmosphere.

[/quote']

Do you work for the venue??? "Great Venue"? seriously? There's pillars on the dance floor, nooks and crannies all over the place that muffle the sound, a very poor standard stage that is obscured by the aforementioned pillars and the speakers. Sorry, it's just not up to standard - it's a nightclub with a band stuck on a platform in the corner and nothing more.

And not everyone goes on the dancefloor - if a venue can't accomodate all it's paying customers then it needs to improve.

Guest bluesxman
Do you work for the venue??? "Great Venue"? seriously? There's pillars on the dance floor' date=' nooks and crannies all over the place that muffle the sound, a very poor standard stage that is obscured by the aforementioned pillars and the speakers. Sorry, it's just not up to standard - it's a nightclub with a band stuck on a platform in the corner and nothing more.

And not everyone goes on the dancefloor - if a venue can't accomodate all it's paying customers then it needs to improve.[/quote']

I hate those fucking pillars. Same at The Lemon Tree.

Guest bluesxman
pillars suck' date=' a big bonus of the tunnels is that there are none. there are pilliars in drummonds, lemontree, moshulu ect. and kef is just shite[/quote']

Yeah but the ones in LT and Moshulu block the stage badly as far as seeing the stage goes, the others don't to my memory. But it's been a while since I was in the others....