aberdeen-music

a question about powering pedals

Spoonie

so i'm putting together a pedal board, very slowly!! i have a power bank and a number of pedals, but the problem is, that two of the pedals are made by electro harmonix (bass balls and big muff pi) wehi means that they have different power input sockets to the boss pedals and the crybaby. they all use 9v dc and since the powerbank has enough outputs to deal with them all, it'd be ideal if there was some way in which i could simply use a different lead from the PB to each of the EH pedals. this would save me needing to have separate AC adaptors for those, which would mean more expense and require 3 sockets to feed the lot, which i'm not keen on.

Now i live about 2 doors from maplin and i plan to go in tomorrow and ask, but i thought i'd ask here first. any ideas whether it's possible to simply get different leads to go from the power bank to EH pedals to compensate for their different sockets?

spoons

/x

Another question........is it possible to get a power bank thing you can fill with batteries?? (I know it sounds stupid' date=' but it's for going abroad, and avoiding carting mains adaptors etc

Also....IF playing abroad, is it safe to use mains adaptors onstage (eg UK to US ones).

Sorry for butting in, Spoonie![/quote']

If playing abroad, I think it would be even more important to have a circuit breaker in line. I've seen whole PA's frazzled due to power surges. Be warned!

Well, the thing you might wanna check is if the pedals run at a different polarity(I suck at electronics, but some pedals are powered differently, polarity could be the wrong word)

I had the exact same problem as you a few years ago. I had Boss pedals, a few EH pedals, a ProCo Rat and a wah. I sent them away and got new switches(true bypass rocks) and new power connectors(the boss type) fitted. Wired it up to my power block. all fine and dandy

Guest lime ruined my life

get the power-all by godlyke.

humless power, adapters for most (all) power inputs, provieds 1.5A, so could probably supply over 10 pedals depending on power consumption. no hum, trannsformerless design.

http://www.guitarexperience.co.uk/html/modules.php?name=Shopping_Cart&file=product&c_op=viewprod&prodID=3

i got mine here, it comes with 5 outputs daisy chained together, you can buy an extra 5 daisy change from maplin, so you can power up to 9, or you could buy 2 extra daisy chains so you can power up to 13, etc etc till you run out of current.

visual sound also do a product almost identical called the one spot.

the godlyke comes with enough adapters to power pedals by pretty much any manufacturer, including pedals that only run on batteries. i think you can buy extra adapters if you need them from visual sound.

p.s a note on true bypass,

its OK in the right place and if you're pedals suck tone a lot, however most pedals arn't true bypass, and this is for a very good tried and tested reason, it's not usually the best solution.

true bypass, if used extensively lengthens your signal line which in turn degrades your signal dramatically. The best solution is a high input impedance buffers before and after all of your pedals. This is easily done if you buy pedals with a high quality buffer when in bypass mode, and keep any true bypass pedals inbetween the buffers.

Pedals may suck tone, the reason is because the buffers impedance is too low, and the solution should not be to make it true bypass unless it's necessary. some people may buy pedals that suck tone and make them true bypass to compensate. What i'm getting at here, is if you buy a cheap pedal, then you have to expect to compromise on the parts inside the pedal. A cheap pedal will suck tone, and that's a consequence of cheap parts and cutting costs in the design process. If you buy good pedals, then converting your pedals to true bypass is pointless. The difference between a chain that uses good quality buffers, and a chain that uses true bypass is extremely noticible. In some cases if you make a pedal true bypass that has exceptionally good buffering in bypass mode originally, the quality will be greatly reduced, which is the opposite of what was intended.

making some pedals true bypass is also a lot harder than others. for example, the dano mini series of pedals tend to use a a much more complex logic switching system which uses a momentary footswitch, it's basically impossible to make this sort of pedal true bypass unless you give the switching mechanism a complete overhaul.

fyi the pro co rat series of pedals almost indefinetly use true bypass as stock.

Another question........is it possible to get a power bank thing you can fill with batteries?? (I know it sounds stupid' date=' but it's for going abroad, and avoiding carting mains adaptors etc

Also....IF playing abroad, is it safe to use mains adaptors onstage (eg UK to US ones).

Sorry for butting in, Spoonie![/quote']

the godlyke works on any mains power that is between 100v a.c to 240 v a.c

i think the power bank would need a transformer stage.