aberdeen-music

Petition for new community stadium

Stray Cat

AFC Trust feel strongly that is in the interests of both Aberdeen Football Club and the wider North-East community that a community stadium facility and associated sporting excellence centre is created in the city. To try to ensure our elected representatives understand the level of backing for this amongst North-East people, the trust has started an online petition (accessed from the link below) and also created lobbying letters which can be sent to individual councillors.

The Trust calls for Aberdeen City Councillors to put aside party differences and find a way to move forward quickly with plans to construct a community facility the whole of the North East - and indeed Scotland - can be proud of.

Please sign the online petition by clicking on the link below, and also please download the appropriate letter for your own city councillor/Council Leader/Lord Provost from the AFC Trust web site (www.afctrust.com), sign it and send it to them to show how important it is to us all!

Online Petition:

www.petitiononline.c...

Question.

Why should the council pay for a new stadium?

Also, a community stadium would see the pitch used a lot more than at present. Aberdeen have had massive problems keeping the pitch in a decent state, so for any pitch to be used more would mean higher costs in maintaining the pitch and could result in less attractive football due to the state of the pitch.

Milne is a smart guy, he knows that if he can get the council to pay for it, then he'll be laughing all the way to the bank.

A new stadium is needed, but not at the expense of the taxpayers.

Because it will be a community stadium which will be used for more than just football but AFC would be the main tenants and would rent it from the council.

So...how is this good for Aberdeen Football Club? As I said, the pitch struggles to hold up at the best of times, so how is this problem going to be avoided? Astroturf would be the way forward, but obviously the SPL are against it.

Do we need a community stadium? We could improve the Chris Anderson Stadium a bit and turn that into a decent community stadium without much bother, without needing to spend a ridiculous amount of cash on a new place.

Also, where do you propose to put this new community stadium? Last time I checked, there was a lukewarm response to the plans at Linksfield, so where else is it going to go?

Also, if Aberdeen don't own their stadium, what real chance do they have? Looking to some recent examples, Wimbledon have suffered immensely since losing their own ground, Clyde recently bought their own stadium (to an extent)...so although they'd be main tenants, is it in their interest to not own the stadium?

I don't see what good petitioning the council is going to do, to be honest. The council have been making noises for ages now, so it's not like there's a lack of will on their part.

So...how is this good for Aberdeen Football Club? As I said' date=' the pitch struggles to hold up at the best of times, so how is this problem going to be avoided? Astroturf would be the way forward, but obviously the SPL are against it.

Do we need a community stadium? We could improve the Chris Anderson Stadium a bit and turn that into a decent community stadium without much bother, without needing to spend a ridiculous amount of cash on a new place.

Also, where do you propose to put this new community stadium? Last time I checked, there was a lukewarm response to the plans at Linksfield, so where else is it going to go?

Also, if Aberdeen don't own their stadium, what real chance do they have? Looking to some recent examples, Wimbledon have suffered immensely since losing their own ground, Clyde recently bought their own stadium (to an extent)...so although they'd be main tenants, is it in their interest to not own the stadium?

I don't see what good petitioning the council is going to do, to be honest. The council have been making noises for ages now, so it's not like there's a lack of will on their part.[/quote']

I'm guessing the whole idea of the petition is to out number those who oppose the new stadium. The majority of these people don't give a shit because they don't watch or play football. But I bet half of them like hockey, rugby, or other sports.

Aberdeen Football Club would benefit from the sale of pittodrie, which would clear the debts. Chris Anderson Stadium would be part of the whole complex which is proposed.

Wimbledon suffered because they had to move to Milton Keynes - Which is why we cannot let the dons build elsewhere.

There would also be a sporting centre of excellence, including an olympic sized swimming pool, a gym, a soccer academy, and more. It's not only good for football fans. The whole city and its economy could benefit from such facilities.

I'm guessing the whole idea of the petition is to out number those who oppose the new stadium. The majority of these people don't give a shit because they don't watch or play football. But I bet half of them like hockey' date=' rugby, or other sports.[/quote']

I don't think there's any significant opposition to the idea, rather it's the plans that people are opposing. It has to be paid for from somewhere, and the current Lib Dem/Tory administration know fine well that a huge increase in council tax will lose them votes.

Aberdeen Football Club would benefit from the sale of pittodrie, which would clear the debts. Chris Anderson Stadium would be part of the whole complex which is proposed.

As I understand it, Aberdeen would have to give the proceeds from the sale of Pittodrie to the council to help fund the stadium. About the only way Aberdeen would gain financially would be from decreased maintainence costs - but that might be a red herring, too.

Also, if Aberdeen are only tenants, that means that they wouldn't be able to do things like sell naming rights to the stadium.

Wimbledon suffered because they had to move to Milton Keynes - Which is why we cannot let the dons build elsewhere.

Wimbledon suffered long before they became the MK Dons - the groundsharing at Selhurst Park did far more to hurt them than the move to Milton Keynes.

There would also be a sporting centre of excellence, including an olympic sized swimming pool, a gym, a soccer academy, and more. It's not only good for football fans. The whole city and its economy could benefit from such facilities.

Christ, and where is the money coming from for all of this?

I'd rather see the money ploughed into the existing facilities (I can see Aulton from my window, and it's a disgrace) than see it all thrown into one central site.

Fucking hell....who cares about tax money....tax happens....lets build it and have something good in aberdeen.

Im fed up of the backwards thinking of this city

The councillors care about their votes at the next election..announcing a new stadium now, only for massive tax increases to come in next year would likely hurt the current administration quite badly.

I'm not sure I understand the logic behind a community sporting village in a crap area, though.

Agreed. And my vote for most punchable goes to cloud even though he isn't on the shortlist.

'cause I don't agree with mindlessly throwing money at bad?

that's right, punch someone for not wanting to pay even more council tax!

Let's see...all this money spent on sport in the city, yet we have an academy (Northfield) that is one of the worst in the entire country, where barely anyone leaves with highers and where prospects are utterly dismal. And you want to spend money on a football stadium instead?

o_O

And let's not forget that NHS Grampian is in somewhat of a hole too, and let's not forget about the denistry crisis up here...but at least Aberdeen will have a new stadium that's half full for the visit of giants such as Caley Thistle and Falkirk!

Sorry, but I'd rather pay taxes to sort out our grass roots problems before focusing on leisure and entertainment industries.

Apparently more flats are going up beside Pittodrie, by no other than Stewart Milne himself. It's pretty obvious now that he intends to move as many flats in there as possible, so the residents complain as much as possible and ensuring that the council's hand is forced. It's all very clever and makes him money, but here's hoping the council manage to see through exactly what he's doing.

How come, if the vast majority of other teams manage to pay for their own stadiums through a variety of means, why can't Aberdeen?

I agree that schools and hospitals need to be looked at....but lets not get off topic of where tax money is spent, a decent sports facility in Aberdeen is a good thing.

Aberdeen is increasingly looking like a shithole, i want something nice.

I also want more arts, music and entertainment throughout this dismal city.