aberdeen-music

Go North

soundian

Guest Mr Blastcap

gooooooooooonoooooooooooorth

i downloaded the form but got stuck at the stage plan bit, i have no idea what kind of stage design i would require, also channels? wtf? i gave up!

my new mature attutiude however prevents me from complaining about go north- i think its a great idea.

*cough*

SHIFT

GAVFEST

*cough*

Shift was a tent in the Castlegate.

Gavfest is about the music, huh?

GoNorth might have dodgy band selection, but it's better than either of those two.

It'd be nice if Shift took place somewhere culturally starved though, such as Peterhead :)

Ho hum

Shift?

Gavfest isn't within staggering distance of my home' date=' so isn't "round these parts"[/quote']

I got a map from Chivers but gave up looking after driving around Stonehaven and surrounding countryside and landed up at XILE where a marquee,barbq and several bands had an amazing party for Kirstys B day.

Shift was a tent in the Castlegate.

Gavfest is about the music' date=' huh?

GoNorth might have dodgy band selection, but it's better than either of those two.

It'd be nice if Shift took place somewhere culturally starved though, such as Peterhead :)[/quote']

Hey, you with the stupid replies!

1. Shift was held in a (pretty big, to be honest) 'tent' in the Castlegate, yes. But why does that mean its not a festival? There were bands/artists playing for the better part of a day, including 65daysofstatic's first Scottish show (I could be wrong), and it was free. Go figure.

2."Gavfest is about the music, huh?" I know for a fact that you haven't been to either of the Gavfests, so I don't really know what you're talking about. Of course its about music! Its a fucking music festival! And its free! And if its 'too far away' from Aberdeen for anyone, then they're stupidly lazy.

As for the last comment, I'm pretty sure its a stab a humour, read more like a stab to the head though.

Hey' date=' you with the stupid replies!

1. Shift was held in a (pretty big, to be honest) 'tent' in the Castlegate, yes. But why does that mean its not a festival? There were bands/artists playing for the better part of a day, including 65daysofstatic's first Scottish show (I could be wrong), and it was free. Go figure.[/quote']

So was it as good as GoNorth? Nope. It was a free festival that brought different things to confused locals, but GoNorth is "the" festival here at the end of the day.

2."Gavfest is about the music, huh?" I know for a fact that you haven't been to either of the Gavfests, so I don't really know what you're talking about. Of course its about music! Its a fucking music festival! And its free! And if its 'too far away' from Aberdeen for anyone, then they're stupidly lazy.

Somehow, I don't think Gavfest enjoys the same level as respect as GoNorth and the ilk. A music festival in Stonehaven...cool, but what good is it when it essentially seems to be one big in joke? Doesn't do much to attract outsiders, I'm afraid.

Of course, the comment about Gavfest being about the music was a reference to another thread, but you can make the link, I can't be bothered making it.

As for the last comment, I'm pretty sure its a stab a humour, read more like a stab to the head though.

Well, why not? Aberdeen has plenty of culture to go round, but how often would you see something like Shift in places like Alford or Peterhead?

I accept that getting the funding to do it in places like that would be difficult, but I think it's places like that that need the culture brought to them.

I'd love to do something like that in Aberdeenshire towns - imagine a simultaneous visual and musical festival taking place in Stonehaven/Montrose/Peterhead/Fraserburgh/Inverurie/Alford all at once? It'd take some organisation, but the end result would be far more rewarding than simply holding an event in Aberdeen.

Perhaps I should try and find interested parties and try and organise such a thing. I know enough about financial planning to last a lifetime after the last few days :\

cloud you have a keen mind. why waste it on this board? could ye not find a cure for bird flu?

It's being wasted on endless spreadsheets at the minute :( I'm working on a business venture in the equine industry, which isn't exactly the most riveting thing ever. Thankfully the numbers seem to be coming out fine (latest calculation is showing a yearly profit of over 25k), I just hope that once this is all done, the numbers will show the same level of profit. If not, I'm going to go scream very, very fucking loudly.

Gavfest rubbish etc...

I dont think the people that put in alot of time and money saw it as one big 'in' joke....and i dont think outsiders did, seeing as people travelled from glasgow/edinburgh to go to it....Gavfest is fun, its what its supposed to be, but lets not confuse it with being a joke.

Gavfest also has no connection to the scottish art's council and is an entirely independant event... what point are you trying to make? Gavfest is for people who enjoy music to have a good laugh' date=' a campout and listen to some great bands with their friends.[/quote']

Great, so it's for people who want to have a good time, right? Can't complain at that, but surely it can't be compared to GoNorth at all, right?

Here Maxi, do you go to Gavfest exclusively for the music?

You want him to say 'YES' and you can call him a liar.....

Nah' date=' I was going to ask him what the difference is between Gavfest and T In The Park :)

Hey cloud, does anyone go to any gig purely for the music?

Some people do, don't they? All credit to them for having the attention span to do so, but I wonder how many people actually do.

Some people do' date=' don't they? All credit to them for having the attention span to do so, but I wonder how many people actually do.[/quote']

I would say no-one, because a gig would be a very dull place without some sort of social interaction going on around you, i have been to shows on my own just to see and listen to music, but i wouldnt go if there wasnt some humanity to it, if you know what i mean.

I do. In fact there are times when I'm at gigs when I will stand apart from the people I know there because I don't want to get distracted while I'm listening to the band.

Anyway' date=' can we get back to discussing Go North, please?[/quote']

Yes yes...lets just leave it at people go to gigs purely for the music, gavfest is fun, shift was brilliant and gonorth is coming....

Guest Mr Blastcap

go north is the cutting edge of music in Scotland, the best thing going, ding ding-

as relvant as the Peoples Friend knitting supplement-un fucking-missaaaable.

(i'm going rasberry picking in Forres during the festival with "gadge" (ex-Del Amitri) so will miss out on this fantastic occasion- but i'm with you all in spirit......)

ROCK ON yeah!

i'm not really sure if you can put brackets inside brackets, ah well.

this post is powered by sarcasm

Guest Mr Blastcap
Maybe he could catch it and die?

they do say that Bantam Hens are more at risk, so maybe Cloud is in danger after all....

cuuuuuuuuuuum intooooooofra zers offf eeeeeeeeeellllllon!

Somehow' date=' I don't think Gavfest enjoys the same level as respect as GoNorth and the ilk. A music festival in Stonehaven...cool, but what good is it when it essentially seems to be one big in joke? Doesn't do much to attract outsiders, I'm afraid.

:\[/quote']

I don't understand why Gavfest is being compared to Go North. I am not a fan of GO North but as I read from this thread it is about bringing industry types to Aberdeen. This is the complete opposite of what Gavfest was about. It was completelly DIY. No funding,a dedicated group of us put lots of time and effort into building a stage out of railway sleepers and floorboards, putting up lighting etc.

Gavfest was open to anyone who could be bothered to get off there arse and get themselves there and had space to camp so you didnt have to stagger home. I was thankful that great bands and spectators from all over Scotland made there way to play it/enjoy it and out of thier own pockets. Please do not tell me this is not about the music and certainly was not a joke. It was about enjoying good music and having a good time.

So was it as good as GoNorth? Nope. It was a free festival that brought different things to confused locals' date=' but GoNorth is "the" festival here at the end of the day.

Somehow, I don't think Gavfest enjoys the same level as respect as GoNorth and the ilk. A music festival in Stonehaven...cool, but what good is it when it essentially seems to be one big in joke? Doesn't do much to attract outsiders, I'm afraid.

Of course, the comment about Gavfest being about the music was a reference to another thread, but you can make the link, I can't be bothered making it.

Well, why not? Aberdeen has plenty of culture to go round, but how often would you see something like Shift in places like Alford or Peterhead?

I accept that getting the funding to do it in places like that would be difficult, but I think it's places like that that need the culture brought to them.

I'd love to do something like that in Aberdeenshire towns - imagine a simultaneous visual and musical festival taking place in Stonehaven/Montrose/Peterhead/Fraserburgh/Inverurie/Alford all at once? It'd take some organisation, but the end result would be far more rewarding than simply holding an event in Aberdeen.

Perhaps I should try and find interested parties and try and organise such a thing. I know enough about financial planning to last a lifetime after the last few days :\[/quote']

Yeah there is more than enough 'culture' in Aberdeen. That may be why 60% of the folks that would have enjoyed the free event , Shift, didn't feel the need to turn up, what with all the culture they had absorbed in the days leading up to said Shift!

Shift was nothing like Gav Fest which is nothing like Go North.

Cloud... You never have anything worthy to add, or very little at the most, to any discourse. You have opinions on most topics based on zero experience so you simply look stupid and do yourself no favours. Wheeeesht!