aberdeen-music

Go North

soundian

Guest Startex

Speaking as "the Chosen Few".... (wonder why, but that's another story) I only fopund aout about this application form when I saw Ian's post in here! As you probably kbnow the deadline is March 3rd whilst the demo packs, although they won't have the 'official apllication form' should have TWO DEMOS which is for the music week CD if you get chosen for that as well, a biog and a sheet all about your band and why you should play. I'm only too aware that we will get howls of complaints from around Aberdeen for everything we do, but there is as much information available in Aberdeen as in every other part of the planet. Aberdeen bands know better than everyone else that goNORTH is happening every year and you should by now know the website address. You have as much of a chance as every other band on the planet, so I wonder why Aberdeen is so badly represented when the demos are opened?

Guest Dedalus

That's all very well, but when a band (i.e. us) has only access to a highly dated computer system (i.e. the one I'm using), and therefore can't download the application form or even view the website properly, how do they apply? Where do they send demos to?

We'd very much love to play.

Dave, why not write me a couple of paragraphs about this so I can stick something on the home page here and draw a little more attention to this and maybe help encourage a few Aberdeen bands to get involved as well?

P.S. I got your e-mail and will reply to it soon!

Speaking as "the Chosen Few".... (wonder why' date=' but that's another story) I only fopund aout about this application form when I saw Ian's post in here! As you probably kbnow the deadline is March 3rd whilst the demo packs, although they won't have the 'official apllication form' should have [b']TWO DEMOS which is for the music week CD if you get chosen for that as well, a biog and a sheet all about your band and why you should play. I'm only too aware that we will get howls of complaints from around Aberdeen for everything we do, but there is as much information available in Aberdeen as in every other part of the planet. Aberdeen bands know better than everyone else that goNORTH is happening every year and you should by now know the website address. You have as much of a chance as every other band on the planet, so I wonder why Aberdeen is so badly represented when the demos are opened?

typical........go north is a great idea, but run by a bunch of bloody incompetents,

who if you you quoted the phrase "lets plan ahead this year" would fall about

not knowing what to do.

Possibly a bit of truth there Chilli, but a little bit harsh too! - and the second sentence doesnt really make sense!?

Most aberdeen bands/artists know about GoNorth and should know that its in May and applications go to Dave at the Foyer. "Go Events" website is www.goevents.info and in this months Music News Scotland there is a call for demos and now a thread here discussing it - and prob other places too...

Not blanket coverage, but it is there if you look for it an use some initiative ...

GoNorth on this forum always seems to end up in a bickering mess! Which is crap!

• Upvote 1

a bickering mess! Which is crap!

Does this stirke anyone else as a familiar statement when discussing local music (scene)

;)

C'mon the moaners that sit about not doing very much then pipe up with snide and sulky comments when they don't feel they are being handed anything on a plate! Looking forward to the posts over the next few months.

I would offer advise on just enjoying whatever happens in Aberdeen, but...

Jim

Most aberdeen bands/artists know about GoNorth and should know that its in May and applications go to Dave at the Foyer.

I'm going to have to call you on that one. Most (established) bands may be aware of it' date=' but how many remember it's in May, how many remember that the deadline is about 10 weeks before the gigs, how many know you can actually apply, how many know or remember that it's Dave at the Foyer that they need to send it to?

"Go Events" website is www.goevents.info and in this months Music News Scotland there is a call for demos and now a thread here discussing it - and prob other places too...

Not blanket coverage, but it is there if you look for it an use some initiative ...

GoNorth on this forum always seems to end up in a bickering mess! Which is crap!

MNS is hardly a widely read piece of literature and I missed the GoNorth thing in it as well, and I usually read it when I spot a new one.

I was actively looking for GoNorth announcements over the space of the last few weeks and the announcement on the website is the only one I've seen.

I just thought that, with comments from Dave and some other people about the number of Aberdeen bands applying in previous years, the problem may have been addressed by now, but if Dave finds out by reading this thread, and he's the man in Aberdeen, what hope have the rest of us got.

The dates for Go North were only confirmed a coupla weeks ago.

Probably due to confirmation of funding. It does seem odd that it wasn't announced on this site however and just plain incompetant that Foyer Dave didn't seem to know about it. And is there still going to be a follow up meeting which was proposed after last years event?

Guest bluesxman
If you wait for the Go Events logo to recede you get a bit of text with a link at the bottom.

It caught me out the second time' date=' not the first though. Strange.[/quote']

Hmm, cheers, I figured out the receding logo bit but I see no link....

typical........go north is a great idea' date=' but run by a bunch of bloody incompetents,

who if you you quoted the phrase "lets plan ahead this year" would fall about

not knowing what to do.[/quote']

dont hold back mike!!!!!!!ooooooooofffffffff

GO north is unfortunately a festival that will never year on year improve. its stale and stagnant. its a shame, it has the potential to do a lot for aberdeen and scotland.