aberdeen-music

Ping Went The Strings Of My Strat

Diesel

My new(ish) Strat (USA, factory settings, no whammy bar usage) keeps busting 'B' strings at the bridge - about one a week. Bizarrely it does the same with 'A' strings on a forthnightly basis.

I've been using 9's a lot recently. Average use is two hours an evening - 4 hours a day at weekends. I play mostly blues-based hard rock & some metal.

Any tips, hints etc would be appreciated

Ps - my Ibanez SA320 is on the original strings and it's a year old!!! Similar usage up until I got the Strat.

DZL

Guest five years

something wrong/sharp/incorrectly filed on the bridge i'd IMAGINE...had a similar problem on one of my old bass's, it seemed to snap strings for fun! now that's an expensive problem!

but yeah, probably time to change those ibanez strings too ;)

something wrong/sharp/incorrectly filed on the bridge i'd IMAGINE...had a similar problem on one of my old bass's' date=' it seemed to snap strings for fun! now that's an expensive problem!

but yeah, probably time to change those ibanez strings too ;)[/quote']

As this man said, its probably something sharp in the bridge saddles. Get them filed down.

This used to be a common problem for me.

And dude, change those Ibanez strings for fuck sake!!

Guest DustyDeviada

apparently rubbing a pencil over the saddles can reduce any friction as well.

Yep, the graphite is good for reducing friction.

Or you can use vaseline if you have it handy. o_O

Yep' date=' the graphite is good for reducing friction.

Or you can use vaseline if you have it handy. o_O[/quote']

I really, really hope we're talking about strings here o_O

Thanks for the advice, I had suspected that there was a possible burr in the 2nd & 5th string saddles as the strings are snapping at exactly that point.

Whilst I'm here, any recommendations for good quility strings?( I've been using fender bullets.

DZL

Guest DustyDeviada
Whilst I'm here' date=' any recommendations for good quility strings?( I've been using fender bullets.

[/quote']

I only use d'Adarrio 10s and hardly ever break strings. That said, I hardly ever use a plectrum. But you'll get loads of different answers.

Guest five years

alright knopf. :D

whatever the ernie ball power slinky hybrid 11's are actually called is what i use if i can be arsed to change guitar strings...usually not as i'm a bass player :D

Graph Tech string saver saddles will cure string breakages at the bridge, the part number you require is BP-0127-00G (best to double check that) do the pencil thing at the nut (that helps keep it in tune) and use any string other than fender.....!! The saddles retail at £30.70 inc vat BTW...

G...

My new(ish) Strat (USA' date=' factory settings, no whammy bar usage) keeps busting 'B' strings at the bridge - about one a week. Bizarrely it does the same with 'A' strings on a forthnightly basis.

I've been using 9's a lot recently. Average use is two hours an evening - 4 hours a day at weekends. I play mostly blues-based hard rock & some metal.

Any tips, hints etc would be appreciated

Ps - my Ibanez SA320 is on the original strings and it's a year old!!! Similar usage up until I got the Strat.

DZL[/quote']

Well would you effin' believe it!!!!

The 'B' string on the Ibanez popped just now!!!

Not bad going for a year!!!

I only picked it up because I didn't have a replacement 11 for the Strat.

Definitely not touching my beloved Les Paul until the curse has been lifted.

Thanks to everyone for the advice :up:

DZL

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lime ruined my life
Graph Tech string saver saddles will cure string breakages at the bridge' date=' the part number you require is BP-0127-00G (best to double check that) do the pencil thing at the nut (that helps keep it in tune) and use any string other than fender.....!! The saddles retail at 30.70 inc vat BTW...

G...[/quote']

graph tech do nuts using the same graphite material as they use in "string saver" bridge peice line.

you can get string trees of the same material, but don't ask for them in sound control, they'll only look at you cockeyed and decide you've gotten tree's and guitars mixed up because they're both made of wood.