aberdeen-music

Lead guitarists

YETI

A 4/5 piece metal band would usually have 1 lead guitarist integral to the solos and sound of the band. A three piece band will usually have one guitarist (lead guitar by default), still integral to the sound.

However a guitar isn't an essential requirement for any band... so depends from which side you look at this argument.

No instrument is essential for a band, it really depends on what you want to do. If you have lead guitar parts/a lead guitar player who adds to the sound without being (too) derivative, then go for it. On the other hand, if its just to add numers to a lineup, and 'fit in' with traditional lineups, it seems pretty pointless.

No instrument is essential for a band' date=' it really depends on what you want to do. If you have lead guitar parts/a lead guitar player who adds to the sound without being (too) derivative, then go for it. On the other hand, if its just to add numers to a lineup, and 'fit in' with traditional lineups, it seems pretty pointless.[/quote']

Totally agree.

They're not essential, but do make for quite a metal sound, if played in a certain way. You will be hard pushed to find a metal band without one.

being a big headed primadonna has nothing to do with being a lead guitarist. the two might come as a package with some people, but often being a lead guitarist is about making the necessary addition to an existing musical unit. there's no more reason that a lead guitarist should be big headed than a sax player or mandolin player or washboard player should.

/x

I see that once again there is alot of ideas there :-)

i have to admit that lead instruments have their use one of the greatest composers of all time never used a lead guitar but still had lead instruments.

i probably didnt quite ask my question right though.

what i was supposed to ask is..

in rock and metal (and all the subgroups associated with the 2 styles), lead guitarist (when present) tend to behave as primadonna (once again this is generalisation from my past experience), often covering with their frivolous behaviour, interesting parts of songs. Any ideas on this?

Drums as lead

It could work, although I think a balance is necessary for longevity in this game.

We are all used to the verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-solo-verse-chorus format and we're comfortable with it, but it's nice to hear something different once in a while.

The danger though, in becoming a one-trick pony, being famous for a gimmick rather than for being good.

Samle examples - in my opinion - where the guitar in important, but not the main focus.

We Will Rock You (Queen), United, Take On The World (Judas Priest) are examples of drum-lead numbers. In fact WWRY only has a solo and no real rythyhm guitar!

Two of my personal favourites "Faith Healer" & "Give My Compliments To The Chef" (SAHB) don't have guitar solos at all - remarkable, given that Zal Cleminson was one of the best and most flamboyant axemen around - but the guitar in both still stands out.

The Stones have two guitarists, but there are few real "solos" in their music (lots of fills though) and like Aerosmith, who have the same format, the vocals are the true lead.

I'd do more but I'm hungry (cue cheers from other members)

DZL

I want a band with 'rhythm drums' and 'lead drums'...

Pink Floyd - Pulse :up:

[edit] incidentally, look at The Who. No lead guitarist as such, but it sounds as good as any two guitar bands.

Having a really good bass player means there is no need for a rhythm guitarist as such (for a lot of genres), and the guitarist can just be whatever he wants to be.