aberdeen-music

how can i put my self out there?

sister_in_zion

holy shit! Those were the first times you played live? Bloody Hell' date=' I remember you playing those nights back then. Thought you'd been playing live for years.[/quote']

Was that because he was good or just because he looked old enough to have been doing it for years?!

*puts away hanky and replaces lid on aspirin bottle* :)

Where all does open-mikes nwadays, and when??

I know Drummonds is a Wednesday....does Cellar 35 still do a Thursday one? Also...is the one at Ma Cameron's still on the go? Moorings on a Sunday??? There's that traditionalish one at the Prince of Wales on a Sunday, too.

Where all does open-mikes nwadays' date=' and when??

I know Drummonds is a Wednesday....does Cellar 35 still do a Thursday one? Also...is the one at Ma Cameron's still on the go? Moorings on a Sunday??? There's that traditionalish one at the Prince of Wales on a Sunday, too.[/quote']

Cellar 35 still have one, seen a board out when I was passing the other day. Not sure about Mas or the POW.

Anyway, I gave up that lark because I was pish.

Where all does open-mikes nwadays' date=' and when??

I know Drummonds is a Wednesday....does Cellar 35 still do a Thursday one? Also...is the one at Ma Cameron's still on the go? Moorings on a Sunday??? There's that traditionalish one at the Prince of Wales on a Sunday, too.[/quote']

Seemingly theres a new one started at the Kittybrewster bar on Tuesdays ... ?

Im a female singer song writer' date=' I've been told im pretty good but that remains to be seen! How do i get gigs and how do i get taken sereously as an artist . there is a big thing where people have the habbit of stereotyping women in music, i want to do this for the rest of my life even if it means being skint. i don't want fame i don't want fortune all i want is respect! is that so much of a tall order??([/quote']

As has been said, Open Mics are a good place to start, as are getting to know other people on the scene, the acoustic scene is very self supporting, ie people will remember you if they like what you do and pass on gigs that way. If you want to get taken seriously as an artist the bestthing to do is make sure your material is of high quality before you start gigging properly, open mics are a good way to hone in front of an audience, but you'll need at least 30 minutes of good material before you start gigging, and probably nearer 45 so you can alternate your set. It's probably just as well you dont mind being skint because you probably will be ;) and without meaning to sound really bad, making sure that you can spell properly before writing the bio that goes with whatever recorded material you have would be a good idea (I'm crap at typing and still get most of my stuff proof read by someone else). I wouldnt worry about people sterotyping women in music, especially on a local level - I'm always amazed how few artists/bands in Aberdeen are pop orientated ala the mainstream female artist., I'd also recommend going to see some of the best acoustic females Aberdeen has to offer: Emma Forman, Amber, Lindsay Alison, Fiona Keenan, and Amy Sawers. I'd go and see how they do it and get ideas about how they express themselves and then find what works for you.

Cheers

Stuartt