aberdeen-music

Paint stripping

GraemeC

How old is the bass G? If its a nitro finish thats on it, it should come off with a sander(wear a mask).

If its a modern poly finish.... then you should call that company. Careful though.... I've heard horror stories of boddies being split at the wood joins. The stuff that's required to get a poly finish off has to be damn strong!

How old is the bass G? If its a nitro finish thats on it' date=' it should come off with a sander(wear a mask).

If its a modern poly finish.... then you should call that company. Careful though.... I've heard horror stories of boddies being split at the wood joins. The stuff that's required to get a poly finish off has to be damn strong![/quote']

It is a poly finish and I tried sanding it for about 9,000,000 years, nitro morse is the stuff but not nice to work with.

I phoned the two local companies who do acid dipping and neither are interested, so nitro morse it is....

G...

how come you're stripping it down anyway? is the finish buggered? or just feel like a change?

I'd love to see some of pics of the finished project

It was quite a nice sunburst but being a non-nitro paint job it will never age and therfore never look "cool" :down:

Guest DustyDeviada

Well at least it's got a transparent finish at the moment so you know what you are getting.

Some people get a brainwave to strip down a solid paint job and then get miffed when they realise it's a nasty looking multipart body underneath.

Fender aren't stupid, if it's a nice piece of wood they'll use it for a transparent finish.

Guest DustyDeviada

The exception to the rule is probably my Mark Knopfler strat, it's made of swamp ash which is usually highly figured, but it was chosen for its lightweight and tonal properties rather than looks, hence it sits behind a red finish.

So I guess I'll never know.

that's why i like my us precision and my stingray. the precision is sunset orange transparent and the stringray is translucent purple which means you're guaranteed nice wood underneath. and i'm a man who likes nice wood!

/x

Your wood always makes me gasp with joy.......ken fit a mean????

• 5 years later...