aberdeen-music

fender bass?

timson

Surely he doesn't own an "early 60s Standard"?

Maybe I'm being pedantic' date=' but the only Les Paul "Standards" produced in the 1960s were the infamous "bursts", produced between 1958 and 1960 and widely acknowledged as being the greatest guitars ever made, and commanding prices of around $300,000 as a result.

If it is really a 60 "Standard" (they weren't actually called Standards then), it will look something like this:

[img']http://www.lespaulforum.com/registry/D30_photos/medium/curlywitt1.jpg

Note the "reflector" knobs, the easiest way to differentiate it from a 58 or 59, apart from the serial number, which should start with a "0" to indicate 1960.

More info here:

http://www.vintageguitar.com/brands/details.asp?ID=50

After 1960 Gibson dropped the Les Pauls as we know them, to be replaced by "Les Paul SGs", which later became known simply as SGs.

The Les Pauls did make a comeback in 1968, but only as a Goldtop.

So if your tutor really does have an early 60s Les Paul Standard it is one of the most coveted and valuable instruments in the world, and unquestionably superior to your new Les Paul!

That said, 70s gear is still pretty crappy. ;)

I surrender - you are the greatest guy in history. How could I compete with that?

Unfortunately my sensei's Les Paul didn't come with a birth certificate, so I couldn't possibly verify it's age - he could be telling any old pish for all I know.

Anyway, I wouldn't pay 300 large for any guitar - even if Page, Beck, Hendrix, Iommi et al shot their collective loads over it - coz what would happen then is I would say "Hey guys! I've got a 300,000 Les Paul"..and they'd say..."well, play it like a 300,000 guitarist ya c*nt!". Then I'd be well and truly f*cked.

I suppose, given my last statement, I could dazzle them with "Play That Spunky Music, White Boy"

God, I need help :jester:

DZL

Ps - THAT'S exactly what his 'Paul looks like, Dusty.

hey guys i was only looking for a resonably priced bass lol so maybe if we can get back on topic it would be very much appreciated thanks

timson

Sorry man - I'm usually minced when I write these posts. I can also be found barking at the moon whenever it makes it through the clouds:swearing:

Good luck with the search:up:

DZL

Guest DustyDeviada
Ps - THAT'S exactly what his 'Paul looks like' date=' Dusty.[/quote']

Cool, is he based in Aberdeen? And is he a good tutor?

Cool' date=' is he based in Aberdeen? And is he a good tutor?[/quote']

Awesome - a great guitar player and extremely strong on theory.

No - he's out in the sticks - it's a 60-mile round trip from Fintray for me, but it's been well worth the thousands of miles I've ran up to date. I've tried quite a few tutors over the years, but he's the best by far. He really pushes me and encourages me to stretch, coz I can get lazy and only play the things I'm capable of playing - which leaves you in a rut.

Ps - I was half joking about his his 'Paul. It is old and it's a Tobacco Burst - but I've no idea how old exactly (I'm sure it's '60's), but he did think mine sounded "warmer". He was probably being kind!!!

DZL

Awesome - a great guitar player and extremely strong on theory.

No - he's out in the sticks - it's a 60-mile round trip from Fintray for me' date=' but it's been well worth the thousands of miles I've ran up to date. I've tried quite a few tutors over the years, but he's the best by far. He really pushes me and encourages me to stretch, coz I can get lazy and only play the things I'm capable of playing - which leaves you in a rut.

Ps - I was half joking about his his 'Paul. It is old and it's a Tobacco Burst - but I've no idea how old exactly (I'm sure it's '60's), but he did think mine sounded "warmer". He was probably being kind!!!

DZL[/quote']

60 miles??? for guitar lessons!

hwo much does he charge? how do you book him?

Guest DustyDeviada
Ps - I was half joking about his his 'Paul. It is old and it's a Tobacco Burst - but I've no idea how old exactly (I'm sure it's '60's)' date=' but he did think mine sounded "warmer". He was probably being kind!!!

[/quote']

I don't think they started making Tobacco Burst LPs until the 70s - and we all know how crap 70s gear is, so yours probably is better. ;)

I don't think they started making Tobacco Burst LPs until the 70s - and we all know how crap 70s gear is' date=' so yours probably is better. ;)[/quote']

:laughing:

Guest DustyDeviada

(it's certainly prettier)

Let's see some pics!

Here's mine:

lp1rs.jpg

PS Apologies for highjacking the thread again, but at least it's keeping it prominent and saving you the hassle of bumping it. :up:

Guest DustyDeviada

Nice lester... but get it off that finish eating stand right away!

You should have got a piece of paper with the guitar warning you that guitar stands can permanantly damage the nitro finish on Gibsons.

If you look carefully at the stand in my picture you can see that I have wrapped the handlebar grip tape you get from bike shops around the parts that come into contact with the guitar to prevent damage.

The Fender should be fine as it has a poly finish, the only Fenders with a nitro finish these days are the US vintage reissues and the Mark Knopfler signature model.

Nice lester... but get it off that finish eating stand right away!

You should have got a piece of paper with the guitar warning you that guitar stands can permanantly damage the nitro finish on Gibsons.

If you look carefully at the stand in my picture you can see that I have wrapped the handlebar grip tape you get from bike shops around the parts that come into contact with the guitar to prevent damage.

The Fender should be fine as it has a poly finish' date=' the only Fenders with a nitro finish these days are the US vintage reissues and the Mark Knopfler signature model.[/quote']

Thanks for the tip, but I was aware of the issue with the finish. It was on the stand for only a few minutes tonight and usually lives Dracula-style in it's case.