aberdeen-music

fender bass?

timson

you need this :

1978 Fender Jazz - 25-11-2005 15:04

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Genuine 1978 Fender Jazz bass , tobacco sunburst , tortoiseshell plate , rosewood with rectangular pearl fretmarkers , 3 screw neck plate , original chrome p/u cover with the big F on it , the real deal all in a genuine fender flight case , owned by me since new , excellent condition , plays like new , go on , you know you want it.......

2000 , call me :07803507903

you need this :

1978 Fender Jazz - 25-11-2005 15:04

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Genuine 1978 Fender Jazz bass ' date=' tobacco sunburst , tortoiseshell plate , rosewood with rectangular pearl fretmarkers , 3 screw neck plate , original chrome p/u cover with the big F on it , the real deal all in a genuine fender flight case , owned by me since new , excellent condition , plays like new , go on , you know you want it.......

2000 , call me :07803507903[/quote']

think i saw this advertised a while ago but theres no way my bank balance would like a hit like that

think i saw this advertised a while ago but theres no way my bank balance would like a hit like that

ok , here's a cheaper alternative , Fender (made in mexico) Jazz 5 (5 string) , sunburst , tortoiseshell plate , pao ferro (rosewood-ish) board , like new , in a quality gigbag , plays well , very thick sound , yours for a mere £375

Call :0780 350 7903

ah well, fair enough. just i got a 70's strat for less than £500 a couple of years back, and i saw a fender jazz bass for about £600 not long ago. and the 70's strats they had in r&b for a bit were always under a grand. but i dont really know about that sort of thing so the guys probably right enough.

ah well' date=' fair enough. just i got a 70's strat for less than 500 a couple of years back, and i saw a fender jazz bass for about 600 not long ago. and the 70's strats they had in r&b for a bit were always under a grand. but i dont really know about that sort of thing so the guys probably right enough.[/quote']

not really sure myself, Suppose it just depends on the model and the condition maybe.

The ones at this shop that i used to see in were always between 1000 to 2000

www.vintageandrareguitars.com

Guest DustyDeviada
not really sure myself' date=' Suppose it just depends on the model and the condition maybe.

The ones at this shop that i used to see in were always between 1000 to 2000

[url']www.vintageandrareguitars.com

Correct, and Vintage and Rare are well known as being at the very upper end of the game, price wise, total rip-off prices, due to the fact that they are based on Denmark Street in central London which has silly high rents.

Anyone asking 2000 for a Fender bass from what is universally acknowledged as being the worst period in Fender's history is living in a dream world.

I see that it remains unsold after three months, coincidence?

Anyone asking £2000 for a Fender bass from what is universally acknowledged as being the worst period in Fender's history is living in a dream world.

I see that it remains unsold after three months' date=' coincidence?[/quote']

Universally acknowledged by who ? early CBS Fenders can be rough , thats misd to late '60's , some of the best instruments Fender made were late '70's , why do you think Fender have re-issue models from this period in their current custom shop range ?

You try buying one for much less , I'm in no rush to sell the bass , hence top price asked , if it's too much for you thats not my problem o_O

Check e-bay , you will not see a '70's precision or Jazz bass go for less than £1500 , the bass I am selling is in exceptional condition and will sell at the price I am asking , though probably not in Aberdeen :up:

Guest DustyDeviada

Everybody knows that quality standrds fell in the 70s, not just at Fender but at Gibson Martin, Gretsch as well. As with everything else, there were good ones and bad ones, it's just that there were a lot more bad ones in the 70s. Maybe yours is a good one, maybe not, but I stand by my assessment that you would be crazy to spend that amount of cash on a "vintage" instrument when the stuff Fender is producing now is as good as its ever been. If it was a pile of balls in the 70s it will still be a pile of balls today, this obsession with vintage instruments really is a bag of shite.

1974 Jazz Bass here for £1350

http://www.newkingsroadguitars.co.uk/basses.htm

Everybody knows that quality standrds fell in the 70s' date=' not just at Fender but at Gibson Martin, Gretsch as well. As with everything else, there were good ones and bad ones, it's just that there were a lot more bad ones in the 70s. Maybe yours is a good one, maybe not, but I stand by my assessment that you would be crazy to spend that amount of cash on a "vintage" instrument when the stuff Fender is producing now is as good as its ever been. If it was a pile of balls in the 70s it will still be a pile of balls today, this obsession with vintage instruments really is a bag of shite.

1974 Jazz Bass here for 1350

[url']http://www.newkingsroadguitars.co.uk/basses.htm

Agreed. There does tend to be an irrational misty-eyed nostalgia over old kit (especially cars amps & guitars). I recently bought a new Les Paul Standard which is wonderful. I took it to my long-term tutor, who has a mint early 60's Standard and he reckoned mine played and sounded better (as a record producer, he knows the difference). The build quility of mine was better and it stayed in tune, unlike his - so go figure. However, put them both on eBay and I'd blow 250 at least on mine whilst he'd get 10 times what he paid for his - 'coz it's old!!!

Old does not necessarily equal better and neither does new - standards can dip as manufacturing output increases.

Personally, I don't see the point of paying through the nose for a 'Paul that was the same year as Jimmy Page's (especially as Pagey probably had about 50 of them). That to me is just pose value.

Still, if someone has a passion for ownership of an instrument from a particular era, then there are plenty people willing to take their money off them.

IMHO - musical kit is better, more reliable and cheaper than ever. The only thing that has taken a nose-dive is music itself - but that's for another forum:up:

DZL

Guest DustyDeviada

Surely he doesn't own an "early 60s Standard"?

Maybe I'm being pedantic, but the only Les Paul "Standards" produced in the 1960s were the infamous "bursts", produced between 1958 and 1960 and widely acknowledged as being the greatest guitars ever made, and commanding prices of around $300,000 as a result.

If it is really a 60 "Standard" (they weren't actually called Standards then), it will look something like this:

curlywitt1.jpg

Note the "reflector" knobs, the easiest way to differentiate it from a 58 or 59, apart from the serial number, which should start with a "0" to indicate 1960.

More info here:

http://www.vintageguitar.com/brands/details.asp?ID=50

After 1960 Gibson dropped the Les Pauls as we know them, to be replaced by "Les Paul SGs", which later became known simply as SGs.

The Les Pauls did make a comeback in 1968, but only as a Goldtop.

So if your tutor really does have an early 60s Les Paul Standard it is one of the most coveted and valuable instruments in the world, and unquestionably superior to your new Les Paul!

That said, 70s gear is still pretty crappy. ;)

Everybody knows that quality standrds fell in the 70s' date=' not just at Fender but at Gibson Martin, Gretsch as well. As with everything else, there were good ones and bad ones, it's just that there were a lot more bad ones in the 70s. Maybe yours is a good one, maybe not, but I stand by my assessment that you would be crazy to spend that amount of cash on a "vintage" instrument when the stuff Fender is producing now is as good as its ever been. If it was a pile of balls in the 70s it will still be a pile of balls today, this obsession with vintage instruments really is a bag of shite.

1974 Jazz Bass here for 1350

[url']http://www.newkingsroadguitars.co.uk/basses.htm

For someone who seems to know quite a lot about old basses you seem to have quite a downer on people asking a good price for them , you also seemto have a problem with reading.........

On the list you quote there is a 74 precision for 1350 , they are always cheaper than Jazz's , there is a 74 Jazz further down the list at 1800 (billed as very sought after and called a real find) it also says shows signs of wear , mie doesn't , it's mint , and in a fender case , I'm maybe too cheap at 2k :love:

Thanks for the link though , i'm calling about the 61 precision now , the 63 would be ok too if not for the re-finish , cheers :up:

Guest DustyDeviada
you also seemto have a problem with reading.........

Although not as big as your problem with writing it seems… ;)

Check e-bay ' date=' you will not see a '70's [b']precision or Jazz bass go for less than £1500
On the list you quote there is a 74 precision for £1350 ' date=' they are always cheaper than Jazz's[/b']

You manage to contradict yourself in sequential posts, one minute you can’t buy Jazz or Precision basses for under £1500, the next you can easily pick up Precisions for cheaper, make your mind up!

For someone who seems to know quite a lot about old basses…

I wouldn’t claim to know a lot about basses, I’m a guitarist really, and all my bass needs are more than adequately catered for by my Japanese 92 Squier which is an excellent piece of kit. :up:

I wouldnt claim to know a lot about basses' date=' Im a guitarist really, and all my bass needs are more than adequately catered for by my Japanese 92 Squier which is an excellent piece of kit. :up:[/quote']

you could probably chop that up and make a pretty good zylophone out of the bits , want to borrow a saw ? :laughing:

Guest DustyDeviada

Well, I work on the "bassis" (sorry) that if it plays good and sounds good... it is good!

The Japanese Squires seem to be pretty highly regarded anyhoo... I haven't played it for years, it only gets used when I'm recording at home.

Take a break dudes...

It's not really that important eh?

£2000 for a late 70's Fender does seem a bit much to me, but so does $300,000 for a les paul, regardless of when it was made, it still could be shit!

There's only one way to tell, play the instrument. :)

Guest DustyDeviada

Hey, it's just a bit of friendly debate, it wouldn't be a very interesting forum if everyone agreed with each other all the time. :up: